2001 Lincoln LS V8 Catalytic Converter question

Yeah for sure I have had one go out on me before in traffic. That is never fun to say the least.
Wouldn't be a bad idea to find a brand you feel comfortable with that makes fuel injector cleaner additive and dump a bottle in a full tank of gas every time you change your oil

Wouldn't be a bad idea to find a brand you feel comfortable with that makes fuel injector cleaner additive and dump a bottle in a full tank of gas every time you change your oil
Yeah I usually do stuff like that on my cars to prevent stuff like this from happening. It is a must to put in a little extra care and it sure does go a long way.

My next fill up I will be putting a bottle of injector cleaner in. There is some in the tank now but as nasty as that crap all was I am sure it can't hurt. In fact I will likely change the fuel filter again in the morning.

Techron

Last edited:
A little bit of an update the one injector on the drivers side started to leak again so I am waiting on the guy who changed them to come back. It's the one injector right near the EGR valve and it's a pain to get it to seat back in.

The set of injectors I got which were OEM had all new o-rings.
Well I think I might have found another culprit to add to my P0174/ and the code I was getting previously P0172 ...after inspecting the exhaust system once again I found a leak/ hole in rear left side muffler ...another item to add to the long list of projects ....Yay! :/

I’m not going to say it with 100% confidence because anything is possible, but a leaking muffler should do nothing for lean and rich conditions especially a hole on one part of your muffler. Even a muffler delete shouldn’t throw a code.

I had a leak at the flange where the header meets the exhaust tubing by the catalytic converter and got a p1074 - tightened it up and no issues since. Make sure everything pre plug is good. Don’t focus your time/money on things downstream in exhaust system to solve this issue.

Well I think I might have found another culprit to add to my P0174/ and the code I was getting previously P0172 ...after inspecting the exhaust system once again I found a leak/ hole in rear left side muffler ...another item to add to the long list of projects ....Yay! :/

The fuel injector seems to be fixed now and the car is still cranking strong and fast even in 20 Degree weather today. Waiting on them to come back this morning to change out my valve cover gaskets. The gasket maker that you use along with the gasket set where do you put it exactly on the 2001? I would assume all the points on the joints and the area in the back closet to the motor? I looked at the guide here and the workshop manual but was just wanting to make sure.

Should be the same two points at the front as on the 2nd gen, where the timing cover meets the head.

s6x~us~en~file=a0038588.gif~gen~ref.gif

After doing all that work I am getting that p-0420 code now with no other codes. I am noticing some misfire or kinda like the car is stalling out when at a stop light or mainly in idle. The car seems to run once you start accelerating. If a cat is clogged or damaged from the old fuel leak I had with the injectors is this normal signs for a damaged cat? I feel like the misfire could be coming from the exhaust, it somewhat feels like the passengers side cat around that area because I feel some hiccups to say the least. I am not seeing any other pending codes now just the p-0420 and it comes back within 15 miles after resetting the codes.

Normally, a clogged cat would probably be okay at idle, but show as a power loss when you try to accelerate or cruise at speed.

Normally, a clogged cat would probably be okay at idle, but show as a power loss when you try to accelerate or cruise at speed.
I will just have to see how the inside of the converter looks. Maybe once I replace the converter if the rough idle still persists then maybe I will get other codes. I have a feeling the converter is damaged either way cause of how bad them injectors were on that side of the car.

Last edited:
Got the cat out and it was indeed bad! It was completely clogged. Now my idle is great again!

MIGA?

Well that's good news. I hope that the other one isn't too bad.
MIGA haha that's a good one.
Yeah it was a good day so far they also found my pcv hose was not staying on so I had to use a hose clamp to get by till I can order a replacement hose. I went to the dealership and they said they can't get it any longer so I had to work around it for now. I will go ahead and start saving for the other cat because I am sure it won't be long if the bank 1 was so bad. It was clogged to the point you could not even see a light on the other side of it. Also they suggested that I change the intake gaskets.
I do have a bit of a question though. Being that the cat was so clogged is there anything else I should do now that the cat is fixed. I know my fuel issue that damaged it in the first place is fixed. But is there anything that you would suggest to change? Such as intake gaskets or manifold gaskets? And would it be a good time to do the induction cleaning? The shop that did the converter replacement suggested it since the one cat was so bad.

Last edited:
I made a 600 mile trip and it worked great, no misfires and no Check engine light and 0 pending codes.

I made a 600 mile trip and it worked great, no misfires and no Check engine light and 0 pending codes.
It's amazing how a car can perform when it's able to breathe properly...lol ...Good to hear bro!

Members online

No members online now.
Back