2001 Lincoln LS V8 Catalytic Converter question

@joegr Them plugs that are gaped at .44 would likely play a part in my long cranking, misfires and the cat code right?

Never say never, but I do kind of doubt it. I think that the problem would mainly be shorter coil life, but I could be wrong.

Never say never, but I do kind of doubt it. I think that the problem would mainly be shorter coil life, but I could be wrong.
Yeah it didn't help a bit other than the misfire being gone for now. I am seeing the same fuel rich code pending though. The long cranking is still there and did not get a bit better. I will say several plugs were black as crap on the ends. Does this sound like Fuel Injectors? I put only about 800 miles on that set of plugs and they were black as can be.

A rich mixture will carbon up the plugs. Unfortunately as you know, several things can cause a rich mixture. Even worse, the 1st gen has air-assist injectors, making it more complicated.

A rich mixture will carbon up the plugs. Unfortunately as you know, several things can cause a rich mixture. Even worse, the 1st gen has air-assist injectors, making it more complicated.
Will the Snap-on Reader tell if the injectors are working correct or is that not a good way to test them. I ask this because the shop I went to today said they tested the injectors with that.

No, you can't test them with any scan tool. You have to pull that out and look at the spray pattern at the very least. Just verifying the resistance of the solenoid coils of the injectors tells you almost nothing.

It seems like the majority of "mechanics" really have no understanding of troubleshooting, electronics, and the higher tech parts of cars.

It seems like the majority of "mechanics" really have no understanding of troubleshooting, electronics, and the higher tech parts of cars.
Here is what 1-4 looked like with less than 1,000 miles on the plugs.
1.jpg

5-8 had oil on them which I had expected cause the valve cover gaskets had went bad before and had already been changed out. We cleaned the holes up the best we could so I don't think that will be an issue the next time around. Since I am getting the issues with bank 1 side of the motor I am gonna just pay a shop tomorrow to change out injectors 1-4 and see if that helps. They were gonna charge $150 to change all 8 in labor. But Should be close to half just doing the one side.

Last edited:
View attachment 828571192

5-8 had oil on them which I had expected cause the valve cover gaskets had went bad before and had already been changed out. We cleaned the holes up the best we could so I don't think that will be an issue the next time around. Since I am getting the issues with bank 1 side of the motor I am gonna just pay a shop tomorrow to change out injectors 1-4 and see if that helps. They were gonna charge $150 to change all 8 in labor. But Should be close to half just doing the one side.
From what I can see from the pic you posted only one spark plug looks absolutely terrible ...they look like they have some oil on them ...did you replace the valve cover gaskets already? I thought I heard you say you did but not sure? My plugs look so much worse not saying your issues are any less severe but your car isn’t running nearly as rich as my car by the look of the spark plugs

View attachment 828571192

I think your on the right track though if I was in Vegas I’d be putting my money on leaky fuel injectors ...crossing my fingers this is my problem also instead of a timing chain kit :)

From what I can see from the pic you posted only one spark plug looks absolutely terrible ...they look like they have some oil on them ...did you replace the valve cover gaskets already? I thought I heard you say you did but not sure? My plugs look so much worse not saying your issues are any less severe but your car isn’t running nearly as rich as my car by the look of the spark plugs
Yeah I had replaced the gaskets on the valve covers. But it looks like will be having them changed out again cause it's leaking at the edge of the back of the gasket. The spark plug wells are not getting oil in them anymore though. I just ordered another set of Felpro gaskets from amazon last night for that. Also found a mechanic who will change out all 8 fuel injectors for $75. Just waiting on them to give me a time and I will have them all done ASAP. The car is sitting till that is at least changed. I don't want to take the chance of fouling them new plugs so fast.

I've been following this and almost everything you have described has seemed to be a slam dunk bad COP situation. That one fouled plug is probably fouled because it is not being fired. What is your coil on plug situation?

I've been following this and almost everything you have described has seemed to be a slam dunk bad COP situation. That one fouled plug is probably fouled because it is not being fired. What is your coil on plug situation?

As of yesterday all brand new COP's and plugs but still running rich. Not getting any misfires at all right now. But will be soon cause of the car running rich. I am sure it won't take long to foul them plugs again considering the others had less than 800 miles on them. I am 99% sure it's bad fuel injectors or that they are playing a big part in my problem. I have had a few shops that could not do the work right now (Because they have 2 weeks of people ahead of me) say they highly suspect it's my injectors. I am gonna get the injectors changed for sure since I have a whole set of them and since I can get them done for $75 that I think would be a good starting point. I mean if nothing else I will know all the injectors are clean and not spraying wrong.

Got the old injectors out and got everything back in. There was one leak so about to sort that and then test out the car. Here is some pics of the old injectors

49512266_277531716263223_5243820881305665536_n.jpg

49804357_2105539836135249_8524362149470928896_n.jpg

My fingers are still crossed and I’m seriously on the edge of my seat in much anticipation...damn bro I hope it was the injectors
Me too bro ! They were actually a bit more dirty than that didn't get pics before they got handled and wiped a little bit. The guy that is helping me ran to the store to grab a wrench to get the EGR off so we do not have to take other crap back off from the passengers side. Will be a great time to clean out the EGR as well.

Very well could be Mickey...they certainly are suspect but with this P0172 code so is several other issues ...one of the worst codes you could have and the ultimate culprit could always be Headgasket or Timing chain but that is still my worst situation I just don’t see Dale’s LS has gotten that far yet ...but your post is always in the back of my mind ...it very well could be COP issues

Me too bro ! They were actually a bit more dirty than that didn't get pics before they got handled and wiped a little bit. The guy that is helping me ran to the store to grab a wrench to get the EGR off so we do not have to take other crap back off from the passengers side. Will be a great time to clean out the EGR as well.
When the patients chest is open may as well clean out as many arteries as possible lol

I will have to wait till tomorrow he could not get his hands on the tool he needed tonight.

Did you say that one of the four fuel injectors was fouled? The picture you took of the plugs yesterday ...the one plug that stood out from the rest ...the one that was blacker than all the others...What cylinder was that plug out of?

Did you say that one of the four fuel injectors was fouled? The picture you took of the plugs yesterday ...the one plug that stood out from the rest ...the one that was blacker than all the others...What cylinder was that plug out of?
Not sure if the injector was fouled, but the worse looking plug and worse looking injector were on the same cylinder which was number 3.

It is fixed ! Cranking up nice and strong now and a short crank never sounded so good to hear. So in the end it was the fuel injectors!

It is fixed ! Cranking up nice and strong now and a short crank never sounded so good to hear. So in the end it was the fuel injectors!
Thats Awesome!!!!! Damn I would've won a million dollars in Vegas lol Nothing better than a tip top Car running strong...I heard of quite a few ppl on other forums talk about the same symptoms ( different car of course)and it ended up being fuel injectors

Thats Awesome!!!!! Damn I would've won a million dollars in Vegas lol Nothing better than a tip top Car running strong...I heard of quite a few ppl on other forums talk about the same symptoms ( different car of course)and it ended up being fuel injectors
The best $105 I have spent in my life! They did the injectors and changed the belt tensioner pulley and the serpentine belt. Next week I am having them change out my valve cover gaskets cause the last person who installed them for me did something wrong cause they are leaking at the back. I ordered a set of the Felpro valve cover gaskets and soon as they come in this car will be ready to be a daily driver!

The best $105 I have spent in my life! They did the injectors and changed the belt tensioner pulley and the serpentine belt. Next week I am having them change out my valve cover gaskets cause the last person who installed them for me did something wrong cause they are leaking at the back. I ordered a set of the Felpro valve cover gaskets and soon as they come in this car will be ready to be a daily driver!
NICE! Yup Felpro brand ...heard good things about that brand...its good to change that belt on the regular

Members online

Back