Gen2 3.9L V8 - Intake Manifold Gasket Index

Winner, winner, Chicken dinner!!!

I got everything cleaned up all nice and cleaned up like. With no torque numbers, I went conservative with 75 in/lbs for the torx screws on the new gaskets.

I put everything back together (nearly forgot to tighten the EGR tube), refilled coolant , started it up and ran horrible (during my coolant system bleed process). After I finally found my OBD reader, my short term fuel trims were +25. Then my CEL comes on, I read the codes and cylinders 2 and 6 injectors aren’t connected. Of course the clips have deteriorated and they don’t click on and came undone. As soon as I reconnected them and restart the car, she purrs like a kitten!!!!

Here’s a picture of the fuel trims and some assembly pics.

The real test will be tomorrow morning on first cold start.

2F228652-7B60-436B-80DE-37CAABDF5801.png

7164E3EE-1432-45ED-8A4C-7F8CAD3946A3.jpeg

37A004DD-AE9F-43C5-9B2A-F18D550E9238.jpeg

AFDA7C7B-7CEF-434C-981B-679AAFB64D5D.jpeg

7A1EBABB-F330-4B56-AB70-33E6965CB04B.jpeg

D9B79519-C09B-4AFE-AD73-BD467C216CD2.jpeg

2EEF87AC-E3F2-4BB2-8A2A-1D9030821778.jpeg

50CCA930-E62F-4A62-89F0-B08B6719341A.jpeg

Last edited:
Congrats! Happy to see the combined knowledge of this forum go to work so quickly (and happier that there's one less problem out there in the world).

Off-topic: Is that a snap-on wrench I see there?!? Someone's rich ... or professional. :D
injectors aren’t connected. Of course the clips have deteriorated and they don’t click on and came undone.
"How to deal with this?" All of my right bank injector clips have broken off; somehow the left are fine. I don't think I can fix that and I don't want to replace the connectors unless they actually give me issues. Is there a way to repair the clips? Do you just tape them in place?

Congrats! Happy to see the combined knowledge of this forum go to work so quickly (and happier that there's one less problem out there in the world).

Off-topic: Is that a snap-on wrench I see there?!? Someone's rich ... or professional. :D

"How to deal with this?" All of my right bank injector clips have broken off; somehow the left are fine. I don't think I can fix that and I don't want to replace the connectors unless they actually give me issues. Is there a way to repair the clips? Do you just tape them in place?

Thanks, this forum has saved me $1000's of dollars and much frustration...also helped me learn a significant amount about my car. I can also answer the question, "Do I really need OEM Motorcraft cooling system parts?" with tremendous expertise!!!

Yes, Snap on!...Rich, NO!...Professional, well not in the auto or mechanic world. LOL I was tired of using cheap tools that wouldn't work quite right and break or fall apart. I have only bought 1 socket off a truck at retail. Most, if not all, of my purchases have been off ebay after great hand wringing on getting as good a price as I could. Also, I got a significant amount of tools from my dad. And, finally, Snap On has spectacular customer service and look cool in the drawer! (see picture).

In terms of the fuel injectors, I have wondered the same thing. I don't tape them, maybe I should...I just push them on. I think only 1 or two of my clips, click.

Snappy Sockets.jpg

As an alternative, it's possible to fit an all-aluminum intake manifold-(one piece)- sourced from Aston Martin. Last I looked they cost about $5000.00o_O

KS

Members online

No members online now.
Back