Issue with 2006 Lincoln LS E-brake/traction control is not working

Changing the pump/hydraulic unit definitely will have no affect on your current AdvanceTrac problem.

I think that most make their own removal tool by cutting and bending some of the flat and angle metal strips that you can get at Home Depot or Lowes.
Otherwise:
www.ebay.com/itm/310-123-Fuel-Tank-Sender-Unit-Wrench-J-45722-9340-New-Fast-Ship-/282290542909
www.amazon.com/OTC-6599-Universal-Fuel-Sender/dp/B000F5LJ7S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526504263&sr=8-1&keywords=fuel+sender+wrench&dpID=31CAdGZt6cL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
Ok I just called the shop they will be checking more with their techs to see what all they really did and they said they will likely take another look. Good to know I don't have to buy another abs module and have it flashed. Thanks for saving me on the extra work that was not needed.

The Shop that programmed the module has agreed to take a 2nd look and will use the c1285 and c1285 pages you sent me Thanks @joegr

Last edited:
This may be a dumb question but I will ask anyway but if the carrier bearings are bad would it throw the traction control codes? I am having these replaced next week once my parts come in just ordered the stuff to change them. Also do happen to know how many quarts of Differential Oil I will need. I am also still having the car re-calibrated next week but should I wait till the bearings are replaced?

The bearing would have to be really bad to affect the wheel speed sensors. It wouldn't alter the calibration in any event.

You need 1.25 liters (less than 3 pints). You are aware that you have to drop the differential to get the cover off to drain it? Otherwise, you could stick a hose in the fill port and see how much you can vacuum out.

The bearing would have to be really bad to affect the wheel speed sensors. It wouldn't alter the calibration in any event.

You need 1.25 liters (less than 3 pints). You are aware that you have to drop the differential to get the cover off to drain it? Otherwise, you could stick a hose in the fill port and see how much you can vacuum out.
I have a mechanic who is doing the change for me and no they are not that bad I just hear light metal sound nothing crazy.

I do have one question other though on the axle parts do I need the 8.8" ring gear gasket or do I need the 8.0" ring gear gasket I see advance shows both choices so do you know which one I will need?

2nd gen should be 8.0", but you may want to search on here to be sure. I have seen threads about it before.

By the way what kind of scan tool could I use on this car to calibrate sensors etc. Obviously the most reasonable priced would be great as I plan to actually purchase another LS once this one is repaired.

I haven't tried it, but I've heard that Forscan can do a lot.

I haven't tried it, but I've heard that Forscan can do a lot.
So you mean I can possibly do this with my ELM-327? It is a forscan modified tool.
Edit:
Actually it will but the Yaw sensor and the steering angle sensor fail to calibrate but I was able to bleed the ABS system though so I can see it will work far as connecting and setting stuff.

If them two are failing to calibrate should I replace the sensors?

Last edited:
Only if they are really bad. The steering angle sensor gets dirty and can be cleaned (should just need a good jet of air). Yaw seems like a rare failure.

Only if they are really bad. The steering angle sensor gets dirty and can be cleaned (should just need a good jet of air). Yaw seems like a rare failure.
So the Yaw and steering angle sensor are one in the same right?
Edit:
I see they are different my bad I dunno why I assumed that
If the steering angle sensor is not working will that cause that yaw to fail then ? I am going to the junk yard tomorrow and will grab another one just in case.

Last edited:
No, one does not stop the other. Either one being bad stops the AdvanceTrac from working.

Do you have any idea where the steering angle sensor is and the YAW sensor is located ?

Do you have any idea where the steering angle sensor is and the YAW sensor is located ?

Sure.
The steering angle sensor is at the bottom of the steering column under the dash. It's an optical sensor.
s6x~us~en~file=a0060696.gif~gen~ref.gif

The yaw sensor is under the cup holders.
s6x~us~en~file=n0044275.gif~gen~ref.gif

I've seen particular error codes from these when they are a problem, not calibration codes.

Sure.
The steering angle sensor is at the bottom of the steering column under the dash. It's an optical sensor.
View attachment 828569650

The yaw sensor is under the cup holders.
View attachment 828569651

I've seen particular error codes from these when they are a problem, not calibration codes.
Well I have a 2002 lincoln ls that has a blown motor and I believe the steering angle sensor is one of the few things that are actually the same. I was gonna replace the yaw since I already have ordered on a used on off ebay for like $25 and I already have to take the steering wheel of since I am changing the turn signal switch so I mine as well swap that one steering angle sensor since I know it worked fine on my other car before the motor died on it. Soon as that Yaw comes in I was gonna go rent a steering wheel puller and do all the stuff at one shot and see what happens.

The steering angle sensor is at the other end of the steering column.

The steering angle sensor is at the other end of the steering column.
Oh so I don't need to remove the steering wheel ?
Or do I just remove the bottom part of the dash trim and kick panel and get to it that way ?

Last edited:
I don't think that you have to remove anything to get to it.

After placing my order on ebay for a steering angle sensor the vendor wanted me to be sure the 2006 Lincoln LS had one. He said that all his sheets and stuff does not list a part for that he was wondering if it is not needed at all or a different part. I did check on Ford Parts Giant and used my vin and it came back to part number YW4A-3F818-AA so I am not crazy right?

As I've said, I really don't think this is your problem (I could be wrong), but yes all LSes with AdvanceTrac have a steering angle sensor, including my 06. How does this ebay guy think that AdvanceTrac could work without one? AdvanceTrac determines which way you want the car to go (steering angle) and looks at which way it is going (yaw), and applies brakes to individual wheels to try it get it going the direction you are steering (if it is not).

As I've said, I really don't think this is your problem (I could be wrong), but yes all LSes with AdvanceTrac have a steering angle sensor, including my 06. How does this ebay guy think that AdvanceTrac could work without one? AdvanceTrac determines which way you want the car to go (steering angle) and looks at which way it is going (yaw), and applies brakes to individual wheels to try it get it going the direction you are steering (if it is not).

I ordered the Yaw sensor because the previous owner of this car did not take care of it. There was a lot of sticky stuff under the center console so it seemed like someone spilled a soda I figured it was not a bad idea to replace it because of that. As far as me replacing the Steering angle sensor I did a carfax and see that the car had been in a wreck with front end damage so I figured it would not be bad to replace in that case. I know that I could be wrong but I figured since all of that it might be a good place to start.

Members online

No members online now.
Back