Faster MK8

Mike Pizzuto

LVC Member
Reaction score
hello, any "easy" ways to put more pep into my MK8 step? Already put in coils and plugs and filter. Just wondering if anything else like a tune or somthing

"Easiest" would be a tune but the cost is $3-$400 last I checked. The intake is sufficient so you can leave that alone. There is a "snorkel" below the airbox that you can remove, it provides more intake sound than anything. Deleting the third cat and replacing it with an x-pipe can help the exhaust flow a little better. After that is when it gets a bit more expensive. Rear end gears and a cobra intake would be the next steps.

Oh, and the jmod is something to look into.

There are more performance oriented members here that can add more details, that's just stuff I know off hand.

John temple of Temple Performance.
MK VIII Muscle Cars
Mark VIII Muscle

He knows the cars, knows his shit overall. Great guy, he replaced my stock 2-piece drive shaft with a balanced 1-piece aluminum. He can turn your car into a face-distorting screamer, or any variation between.

Last edited:
"Easiest" would be a tune but the cost is $3-$400 last I checked. The intake is sufficient so you can leave that alone. There is a "snorkel" below the airbox that you can remove, it provides more intake sound than anything. Deleting the third cat and replacing it with an x-pipe can help the exhaust flow a little better. After that is when it gets a bit more expensive. Rear end gears and a cobra intake would be the next steps.

Oh, and the jmod is something to look into.

There are more performance oriented members here that can add more details, that's just stuff I know off hand.
Awesome thanks

Question.... Mine is a 97 basic, and now near perfect. I've been told that converting to a true dual exhaust wouldn't really do shit for its performance. Is that right? I'm by no means hoping for, or even wanting a road burner, but a little extra kick would be nice. Plugs and coil packs are new. What else could be done, cheaply and easily?

gears, stall, exhaust, jmod, tune.
how much faster (in seconds 1/4 mile) would each of these make a 2nd gen M8?
- jmod:
- Tune:
- Stall:
- gears - what 373? or 4:10? I want to keep rpm's low on highway:

- jmod:
- Tune:
- Stall:
I did 3.73s in mine and while they are great for the highway (I have taken it out of state and halfway across the US) if I had to do it all over again I’d go 4.10s

Question.... Mine is a 97 basic, and now near perfect. I've been told that converting to a true dual exhaust wouldn't really do shit for its performance. Is that right? I'm by no means hoping for, or even wanting a road burner, but a little extra kick would be nice. Plugs and coil packs are new. What else could be done, cheaply and easily?
I believe on a stock car an exhaust wont do squat for you to justify the cost. If you ported the heads and did cams sure then you will gain but no so much on a stock car.

I did 3.73s in mine and while they are great for the highway (I have taken it out of state and halfway across the US) if I had to do it all over again I’d go 4.10s
I wouldn't think there would be a big difference in rpm at 70mph between these two gears. Do you recall at what rpm you were at 70mph with the 373's?

- jmod:
- Tune:
- Stall:

-some
-some
-some
-always 4.10s.

too many variables.
if you want to go faster, do those things.

its about 3k at 80 in my car.
i don't remember the rpm for 70.
25 26, something like that.

B07D02C2-C826-43FD-9476-00B553D2C6BD.jpeg
Found this from earlier this year with the 3.73s installed

Members online

Back