Lowering, and Stance

ZacUnknown69

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been thinking about lowering my Mark VIII even more (.5" drop on it now). But I plan on getting something AWD soon, so I don't want to spend a lot of dough modifying my current car. So I was wondering; I know you can adjust the sensors so the bags will inflate creating a lower ride height. But I've included 2 pictures of my car this summer, being the height I want for normal driving (for some reason it decided thats how it was going to air-up for a week). What I'm after is the ride height of the front, all the way around. Is it possible for me to adjust sensors to achieve this amount of low? I'm aware its more work for the bags, and compressor.

Side question; Is there a way I can lower the bags when parked to stance it? Would tinkering would I have to do to accomplish that?

Thank you all for reading!

Screenshot_20170208-130658.png

Screenshot_20170208-130709.png

I'm checking it out, only $185? Dang - that's great, if I'll keep it saved until I get paid. This is almost exactly what I'm after, but I'll keep the thread open. If I couldn't find a thing like you suggested, I was going to buy a cheap set of coils and chop 'em. Though - how difficult and how much extra wear does it out on the air suspension system? Especially the compressor. Thanks, fella.

Last edited:
if you open all of the solenoids at once (running 12v to each) it will drop the car and usually trigger a check air ride message (in my experience on a 93) which will prevent it from fighting to stay up or correct itself after you walk away, the next time you start the car it will pump back up

if you want it to be adjustable just do the same thing but turn off the air ride switch at ride height, open the solenoids to lower, and close the solenoids when you are at the desired height. you could also run the trunk air ride switch to the interior if you wanted to lift it back up on the fly.

It's a pretty rudimentary way of going about it but it will work and only set you back the price of some wire and switches plus your time. Diodes might help protect the factory system but I never had an issue.

Redrilled the lower mounting bolt holes up front and cut the rear air bags along with moving the sensors, just did this yesterday and IL still playing with it but it's close. Might drop the rear another 1/2" and the best part is this was 100% free. Just a afternoon of my time

LSCDriversRear.jpg

IMG_20170220_221222.jpg

How much lower did you drill the hole fore the sensor on the front ? Look that you have found the right level that I like. Mine is very much to high

1.JPG

Redrilled the lower mounting bolt holes up front and cut the rear air bags along with moving the sensors, just did this yesterday and IL still playing with it but it's close. Might drop the rear another 1/2" and the best part is this was 100% free. Just a afternoon of my time

View attachment 828486902

What do you mean, "cut the rear bags"?

View attachment 828486902

View attachment 828486903

How much lower did you drill the hole fore the sensor on the front ? Look that you have found the right level that I like. Mine is very much to high

View attachment 828486919
That height wasn't all my doing; due to the car being as old as it is. I believe the valves don't close properly anymore, so it leaks very, very slightly throughout the night. I went to go drive, and that's how it looked. And it looked damn good. As far as lowering the mounting thing, I didn't do that. The original bolt/ball thing broke, so I just got a regular bolt, and a locking nut, put it through the hole on the sensor, and pushed it to the very top of the bracket's opening. And that's how it is on both sides. I have a bonus question if anyone answer; Would it be possible to swap springs from say, a Mustang or Thunderbird? As a coil-conversion?

yes, this is quite heavily covered on here.[/QUOTE]

Huh, I'd never seen that before. Could someone, kindly, show a link or explain how this process works?

fronts are easy. remove air spring, insert tbird coil over shock assembly.

rears are slightly more involved. remove air spring, install spring perches and then a tbird spring.

done.

fronts are easy. remove air spring, insert tbird coil over shock assembly.

rears are slightly more involved. remove air spring, install spring perches and then a tbird spring.

done.

Sounds like I'll need mounting brackets for the rear coils, other than that. Sounds pretty easy!

Members online

Back