Bilstein shocks and factory Jaguar S-type springs

Deacon & BCA,

Have either of you figured out the part # for the rear jag springs? The only ones I could find are almost $300 each. Trying to figure out how to match the rear LS springs to the front Jag springs is proving to be a challenge. I tried figuring it out a couple years ago, but gave up. Now that I have a busted coil on the rear, it's time to do something about a 4 corner rebuild/upgrade. Just like the both of you... I want stock ride height.

If anyone knows how to decipher the LS spring color codes... I would be very grateful.

Well,,,

After digging around on some sites "across the pond", I may have some part #'s.

Front Road Spring without Adaptive Control - XR835298 - Genuine Jaguar 4.0 Litre V8 Auto to VIN M45254

about $100 per spring.

Rear Road Spring without Adaptive Control - XR811174 - Genuine Jaguar 4.0 Litre V8 Auto to VIN M45254

about $100 per spring.

These part #'s are for the s-type with 4.0L engine. The 2.5, 3.0, and 4.2 engine models have different part #'s for the front springs.

Source for information here:

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/ItemList--Jaguar-S-Type-Suspension--m-13209

Last edited:
Deacon & BCA,

Have either of you figured out the part # for the rear jag springs? The only ones I could find are almost $300 each. Trying to figure out how to match the rear LS springs to the front Jag springs is proving to be a challenge. I tried figuring it out a couple years ago, but gave up. Now that I have a busted coil on the rear, it's time to do something about a 4 corner rebuild/upgrade. Just like the both of you... I want stock ride height.

If anyone knows how to decipher the LS spring color codes... I would be very grateful.

Well, I stumbled across a set of used rear shock assemblies on eBay that was too good of a deal to pass up. They are from an 2002 4.0L S-Type from California. I mainly bought them for the springs, but they look to be in such great condition that I'm just going to install them as is and see how they perform before I buy new shocks.
They aren't on the car yet though. Just have had too many things getting in the way to find the time to installing them.

IMG_2718a.jpg

Top one cleaned, bottom one as I received them.

With the luck I had getting these rears, I have been looking for a similar deal on a set of fronts, but haven't had any success. They are either priced too high to justify buying used, or the seller can't verify the donor car that they came from with 100% certainty.

IMG_2718a.jpg

Deacon,

How did you get your rear lca's so cheap? Did the dealer you went through sell them at cost minus?

To anyone else...

Does anyone know the differences between the gen 1 and gen 2 rear lca's. Why wont a gen 1 fit on a gen 2?

Whelp,,,

I found the factory contol arms. $538 shipped for the pair from a dealer in Nevada. Best price I could find on the net,,, and same price for the Lemforder's on RA. RA would have only been a dollar more,,, but the fitment seemed a bit varied. The ZF, (parent company of Lemforder), showed part #s 30637 01 and 30638 01 to fit LS from 9/99-12/03. My 04 was built in 09/03,,, but getting factory parts for same as aftermarket seemed a better choice for fitment.

The part factory part numbers for my 04 are:

Driver Side - 6W4Z-5A649-AB Superceded part #3W4Z-5A649-ZZ

Passenger Side - 6W4Z-5A649-AA Superceded part #3W4Z-5A649-AA

Update...

Local dealer parts buddy tells me that gen 1 contol arms date from 3/22/99 to 11/17/02. RA sells a Moog, (Federal Mogul) version that appears to be aluminum... but it would be best to double check. So the 11/17/02 factory end date seems to conflict with the Lemforder end date of 12/03.

Gen 1 Moog part #'s are:

RK621952 - Driver side

Rk621951 - Passenger side

So the links don't work.

Anyway powerflexusa-dot-com offers urethane bushings for both gen Jaguar s-types. The only difference seems to be the outer bushing at the knuckle... at either 54mm or 58mm. THIS may be the only difference between gen1 and gen2 LS rear lower control arms.

Either way... $300 to re-bush both control arms with urethane would be a cost saver for someone knowledgeable to do so. When I get my new arms in and do the swap... I may order the parts and be a guinea pig.

I'm gonna focus on the rears for now,,, since they are the biggest problem.

2 Bilstein 24-026628 $190

2 factory rear lower control arms $538

2 rear factory Jag springs plus top and bottom seats $320

Sir Tools Strut-Master spring compressor $530

Having a safe quiet ride... priceless

Spring compressor came today. Boy that was fast and quick shipping. Bilsteins should arrive tomorrow,,, and the Jag parts sometime early next week.

Now all I need is time... which is lacking lately. Might be a couple weeks before this project is done... maybe longer. Good thing I got the truck on all fours tonight.

Quote Cam:

"Thanks to all that have---and will---contribute."

Obviously Cam... you know me a bit too well from other threads. :)

All parts are in... now it's a matter of time. I got a 2 day weekend this weekend, (woohoo!),,, but most of that so far has been catching up on other things... mainly doing laundry and other housework. A couple small projects tomorrow... and then getting ready for the 60-70 hour work week,,, plus the 63 mile drive each way.

Working on some pics...

Well... seems that if you want to play, (on the internet), you gotta pay. Have pics ready,,, but can't seem to download them to the LVC website.

Either way... the parts I received,,, are for the most part correct. However... the bottom spring seat I ordered (which should match the rest of the parts),,, is nothing but a flat urethane washer that doesn't have the gradual contour to match the bottom coil of the spring. When I look under the rear of my LS,,, I see a white urethane bottom seat with a taper... similar to the pics BCA shows in a previous post for the used Jag coilovers he acquired.

So... it seems I have to order the rear bottom springs seats from Ford,,, or figure out the Jag equivalent.

BCA!!!

Can you see a part number on the bottom spring seat on the Jag coilovers you showed in your last post???

I think I may place a phone call to the Jag dealer in So-Cal,,, about the bottom spring seats... and about the parts I ordered and was sent. BCA,,, if you can find a part # on the bottom spring seats,,, that would give the last answer to all of the Jag parts needed for the rear setup on an LS.

Kumba would be the best person to ask. He did a Jag suspension on his LS. Got it dialed in perfectly.

Well...

It seems that the bottom spring seat is part of the shock assembly from Ford. So it's goona have to be a jag part,,, or re-use the ones on my LS.

I think I may place a phone call to the Jag dealer in So-Cal,,, about the bottom spring seats... and about the parts I ordered and was sent. BCA,,, if you can find a part # on the bottom spring seats,,, that would give the last answer to all of the Jag parts needed for the rear setup on an LS.

Well...

It seems that the bottom spring seat is part of the shock assembly from Ford. So it's goona have to be a jag part,,, or re-use the ones on my LS.

IIRC, from Ford, it was only available by purchasing the spring. However it appears to be available from Jaguar separately as part number MJA2162AA. It's also listed as the same part number for the front lower as well.

View attachment 828476718

MJA2162AA is what I ordered... and it's just a flat plastic washer with no step to match the coil. Whatever is on the bottom of the used parts you bought... is what is needed.

Thanks Rollin. I'll try to point Kumba toward this thread for some input.

Members online

Back