Bilstein shocks and factory Jaguar S-type springs

Called Ford dealer and sure enough... the bottom isolator is part of the shock assembly. Might contact Bilstein to see if they offer any options. Called the Jag dealer in SoCal that I ordered the parts from. They had no way to check for other isolator options without a vin #.

While I'm waiting on Kumba's input,,, I may jum on a Jag forum and see if I can get any help there.

BCA,,, if you can find a part # on the bottom spring seats,,, that would give the last answer to all of the Jag parts needed for the rear setup on an LS.

I looked under there this weekend and found no visible numbers on the bottom seats that were visible.

After living with them on the car for a couple of weeks now, I'm hoping that they have more mileage on them than they looked because they are softer than I was expecting them to be.

It’s definitely a smoother ride in the rear. Soaks up the bumps and dips nicely but I think they are fighting with the worn out LS shocks on the front end so in reality it’s a bit hard to tell for sure. Based on what I have experienced so far, I don’t think I am going to like these shocks as much as I thought. I was hoping for at least as much sport as before but it feels like more luxury. Ride is great, but it lost its “planted” feel and there is a bit more up & down movement than I would like after a dip or bump. I think if I went with these shocks all the way around, it would ride more like a Lincoln for lack of a better term.

But as I said, these are used shocks and I have no knowledge of how many miles they have on them. Even thought they look nice, coming off of a California car, they probably would look this way even if they have 100k miles on them.

The next step up from these are the yellow Bilsteins but I’m a little concerned about them being too stiff. However I did put yellow Bilsteins on a 1993 Lightning when it only had 10k miles on it and gained in both ride and handling so that still may be the way to go.

I just wish Koni made shocks for these cars. I have them on another car and it's nice to be able to adjust them to what I want.

So if the monotube KYB's aren't sporty enough, then is it safe to presume KYB's Excel-G twin tube ones are even worse? Too bad since theExcel-G's bolt right into the LS

I thought that the XF, like the LS, didn't use struts?

Correct. The XF uses the same style coil-over design front shock as the 2003 & newer S-Type did with the "pickle fork" lower mount for the revised S-Type lower control arm.
The rear shock design has stayed similar to the LS & S-type. Rear XF shocks may work, however the positioning groove in the shock for the lower spring mount could be higher or lower than the LS/S-type shocks.

So if the monotube KYB's aren't sporty enough, then is it safe to presume KYB's Excel-G twin tube ones are even worse? Too bad since theExcel-G's bolt right into the LS

Did someone try the KYB monotubes with the Jag springs?

From the research I have done,,, I think the XF, XJ, and other models use different isolators that would not work on the LS/S-Type. After going almost halfway through all of the Moog supplied isolators listed on Rock Auto:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/moog,coil+spring+seat,10444

I have resigned myself to using the existing nylon isolators on my LS... unless Kumba gets my PM and steps into this thread to offer advice. The LS isolators were only supplied with the shocks. I have no idea why Bilstein doesn't do the same. May still try to contact Bilstein now that I have some time off. Have even thought about going to a boneyard,,, and getting one shock assembly... and pulling the isolator and sending it off to Energy Suspension.

The closest universal isolator that Energy Suspension offers is close... but not close enough to even modify to work. Also... so far the Jag site I have joined doesn't seem to be able to offer much knowledge. Possibly one poster,,,but he doesn't have eyes on his s-Type at the moment.

Either way,,, I can't wait too much longer. Left rear side is definitely hitting the bouce stop on the shock... and right rear isn't much better. My butt is sagging, (I mean the car). :)

BCA,

It may not be the springs that are your issue,,, but the shocks instead. From my understanding,,, that part, (MJ... whatever), is a spacer shim to adjust ride height on sagging springs. That's why it's a flat disc insted of a tapered isolator.

From the searching I have done on the Jag forum... no one has complained about a soft ride on the S-Type with B4 Bilsteins. However,,, those wanting a stiffer ride do seem to go to the B6 version. I know what my LS felt like when it had 100k less miles on it. Granted,,, I'm only doing the rears for now, (and other suspension parts)... but hopefully I have it done by this weekend and I can report back. I also recently purchased some lateral toe links for the rear that will be installed at the same time as the LCA's, shocks, and springs.

Well...

With the new format of the site,,, I can now post pics.

So... here are the, (still uninstalled) rear suspension components. I will also include a pick of the rear bottom spring isolator... that is unobtanium since the OEM shocks are mostly NLA.
DSCN1579.JPG
DSCN1581.JPG

04Sport, did you get these installed? B4's right?
Will it work with Eibach springs? Edit: looks like I need Jag front springs.
Anything else I need to worry about that's different on my '02 (sport suspension)

Last edited:
Can't comment on the Eibachs. My intent was to restore factory ride and ride height. The Jag springs and Bilstein shocks have proven to be a good option, (at least so far on the rears)... for parts that are NLA from Ford.

In the first post of this thread,,, there is a link BCA provided where a member used H&R Jag springs with the Bilsteins. Don't know how they compare with Eibach.

Here's the link:

JAG susp on LS??, YES, it fits!!!

The Jag S-Type Bilsteins will not work with the LS Eibach kit for the same reason they won't work with the original LS front springs. The LS specific front spring is too small in diameter at the bottom to fit the Jag Bilstein spring seat.

^^^ Agreed!!!

That's why in the link above... Elemino used H&R lowered springs for the Jag,,, along with the Jag Bilsteins. Gotta watch the front shocks though. You need to get them for a 2002 or earlier Jag S-Type. Later models use a different style bottom shock mount

I'm doing first gen s-type bilstein B6's in the rear. I understand I may have to re-use the piece where the spring sits from my existing worn out ford rear euro shock. Is this true/possible?
I also have the dreaded rear suspension squeak. I have ford toe links, and also bought upper control arms, but I'm dragging my feet on the lowers. I kind of don't trust any of the aftermarket brands for the lower control arms and OE is pricey. Even the powerflex bushings for LCA's is kind of pricey since there's 3 bushings.

I'm doing first gen s-type bilstein B6's in the rear. I understand I may have to re-use the piece where the spring sits from my existing worn out ford rear euro shock. Is this true/possible?
Yes, you will re-use the original bushings and isolators assuming that they are not "worn out" The factory upper bushings are pretty stout units and will most likely be in good shape. The common issue with the bottom plastic isolator is that it can be broken or split. I had one good one and one that was split but I was still able to re-use it and I have not had any issues in doing so. It still remains "captured" by spring via the locating tabs so unless they are broken it's not going anywhere.
I also have the dreaded rear suspension squeak. I have ford toe links, and also bought upper control arms, but I'm dragging my feet on the lowers. I kind of don't trust any of the aftermarket brands for the lower control arms and OE is pricey. Even the powerflex bushings for LCA's is kind of pricey since there's 3 bushings.
Myself and others have had issues with the bushing in the lower arm failing. It was the cause of squeaking in the rear on my car. My uppers still appear to be good, but my toe links are next on the list as they are clunking pretty good now and I can feel some twitchiness in the rear at speed.

Roads aren't too bad here. I'm willing to give it a try. I had Euro shocks on for quite a few years and it was fine. I have sport shocks at the moment nearing end of life... this combined with worn control arm bushings and whatever else, has caused harsh banging worse than anything I experience with the euros 100K ago. Everything is getting replaced so it should be okay. Appreciate the warning though as I know how bilsteins can be; my father has an 80's vette that came with them.

edit: Has anyone bought the s-type H&R sport springs (p/n 29436) and installed them with the B6's? Supposedly there's a B8 for lowered cars but if Elemino used them okay then hopefully I'm fine too.

Last edited:
Are there any updates on anyone's set up. Been years since a post and hopefully some of you are still around with the LS ;). I'm about to explore my options since I have my original shocks with eibach springs. Definitely looking into the bilstein B4s with the h&r lowering springs. just curious to know if anyone figured out the insulator and lower seat issue.

Are there any updates on anyone's set up. Been years since a post and hopefully some of you are still around with the LS ;). I'm about to explore my options since I have my original shocks with eibach springs. Definitely looking into the bilstein B4s with the h&r lowering springs. just curious to know if anyone figured out the insulator and lower seat issue.

I've been running on the Stances for 2 years. Have never adjusted them and like em just fine. Only problem is I dont know if they have any more of them.

I've been running on the Stances for 2 years. Have never adjusted them and like em just fine. Only problem is I dont know if they have any more of them.
I've seen that D2 racing has a coilover set for about $1200, messaged 04_Sport_LS about it, in regards to the jag bilstein conversion, but I currently have eibach lowering springs, I was gonna order the bilstein shocks with H&R lowering springs but think that might defeat the purpose for using stock OE with lowering springs.

Members online

No members online now.
Back