Towing a travel trailer

ratdog442

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Wanting to make the pig into a towing beast. Currently has a class 2 hitch. Towed a 14 foot jet boat without a problem. She is modified as follows: 4.10 with locker, true duals, 2800 stall, stage 2 shift kit, electric water pump and a trans cooler. I am going to send her in for a refresh on the suspension. I am toying with having the motor pulled for a overhaul. If that happens I am adding headers. What else do I need to do to tow up to 4000lbs safely?

Biggest issue I am having with the motor is car stalling or idle jumping after idling at a stop light for more than 2 minutes. In the morning the car will start and idle fine but when put in gear the car will stall out. After the restart there isn't a problem. I changed out the pia idle air control valve after pulling a code. I also changed out plugs and wires. This issue started along time ago and I am perplexed on how to fix. Anyone else have this issue?

1378719_725213140837880_601025818_n.jpg

1378719_725213140837880_601025818_n.jpg

Wanting to make the pig into a towing beast. ... What else do I need to do to tow up to 4000lbs safely?

Brakes come to mind.

Does the trailer have electric brakes? Assuming so, a high quality proportional electronic brake controller will be significantly better than a generic brake controller or no brake control (i.e., using the brake light circuit).

Do you have stock brakes? What brake pads/rotors? You may benefit from an upgrade to a 'big brake' kit. At a minimum, use high quality brake components and invest in a set of braided SS brake lines at all four corners. Flush your brake fluid at least twice a year with a high temp rated DOT 4 fluid.

I would definitely suggest a temperature gauge to monitor the transmission fluid.

Biggest issue I am having with the motor is car stalling or idle jumping after idling at a stop light for more than 2 minutes. In the morning the car will start and idle fine but when put in gear the car will stall out. After the restart there isn't a problem. I changed out the pia idle air control valve after pulling a code. I also changed out plugs and wires. This issue started along time ago and I am perplexed on how to fix. Anyone else have this issue?

Hard to say but cleaning the MAF may help. There could also be an issue with the TPS sensor? I've had this issue before and frankly the easy way out for me was to raise the idle speed in the tune.

I once hauled a mark viii on a car trailer being pulled by another mark viii...

I once hauled a mark viii on a car trailer being pulled by another mark viii...

We've all done something we may not be willing to admit, but the real question... would you do it again? :shifty:

Members online

No members online now.
Back