Cleaning The Inside Of The Windshield

All2kool

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I'd really like to know the secret to getting the inside of the windshield clean. On my '04 Town Car, I clean it with Windex and clean paper towels and the moment I drive into the sun, it looks as though I wiped it with a milk-soaked cloth. A friend asked me about this some time back and suggested 'off-gassing' of some sort. Anyone else seem to be defeated here? Is there a secret that the auto detailers know about that they aren't sharing?

sub'd

I've tried a few methods with little success. Even tried gasoline in a previous car. (non-smoker too).

I've had this issue with my Town Car for a while now and the frustration continued - even after getting a NEW windshield shortly after I purchased it. I haven't noticed it yet in the LS but that's because I don't drive either car very much.

I always have a film on my windows. The former owner was a, what smells like, a million pack a day smoker. I have mostly gotten rid of the smell through multiple ozone treatments. I also use a vaporizer. So I just figured that it was from a combo of that and yuck seeping out of the interior surfaces.

Maybe try some type of glass polish? BigRigLS could probably elaborate on his favorites.

I always have a film on my windows. The former owner was a, what smells like, a million pack a day smoker. I have mostly gotten rid of the smell through multiple ozone treatments. I also use a vaporizer. So I just figured that it was from a combo of that and yuck seeping out of the interior surfaces.

Maybe try some type of glass polish? BigRigLS could probably elaborate on his favorites.

My Town Car has never been smoked in.

I'd really like to know the secret to getting the inside of the windshield clean. On my '04 Town Car, I clean it with Windex and clean paper towels and the moment I drive into the sun, it looks as though I wiped it with a milk-soaked cloth. A friend asked me about this some time back and suggested 'off-gassing' of some sort. Anyone else seem to be defeated here? Is there a secret that the auto detailers know about that they aren't sharing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axI5Luw0Eos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJkfrY2owb0

Your welcome

If you have a thick film on it, use #000 steal wool with some type of glass cleaner. Then Use just the cleaner and clean up with a very dry microfiber. If you need to use an additional dry microfiber.

Cleaned smokers and non smokers cars this way and never had streaks or haze.

If you can find it where you live zep 40 cold weather is a great glass cleaner. I use the aerosol invisible glass when I don't have that

I also use the steal wool on the outside of the glass if it is super filthy.

I used Rain X on the outside of the windshield before i noticed how bad it is.
the MrClean sponge or steel wool ??

I use the same stuff inside and out: regular Armorall glass cleaner. I find the trick is in the application, not the cleaner. I use two dry microfibers to start, both folded in half twice.

Spray window
Wipe around with cloth 1
Turn cloth 1 over, wipe again (should have thin streaks of water now)
Use dry cloth 2 to buff, changing sides every 1/4 windshield/back window or 1/2 door windows.

I find it important to leave as little water on the windshield as possible.

Some info passed to me from my grandpa (learned in the 60s from limo drivers, so take it as-is), is Windex does not belong on car windows.

Next time around I'm going to try wax or claybar on the windshield outside though

Once I worked for a major department store cleaning mirrors was part of the job. The best no streak cleaner is buy a bottle of rubbing alchol , mix it with water and spray it on while you wipe it off as fasts as you can. It will clean and evaporate before any streaks can form Guaranteed

Waxing a windshield will make it hard to keep it streak free.

Waxing a windshield will make it hard to keep it streak free.
No it wont. Are you saying this out of experience? Last time I waxed the outside of my 15 year old windshield it made it look brand NEW.
The wax filled any imperfections in the glass and turned out great.

Well anyway,,i went out today and got some Mr clean sponge thingys.

in the right light my windshield looks like i should scrape it with a shingle remover..

I've used various products for this. What I find works best is either ammonia with water and a bit of alcohol, or vinegar with water and a bit of alcohol. The trick really is to get it dry with the towels before it dries on its own to keep it from looking streaky or water spotty. To get rid of the haze though, you need to go back about 3-4 days later and rub the glass down with a dry towel, preferably a microfiber. I don't know why this is, but I've never been able to avoid the haze unless I also do the dry rub a few days later. It normally stays clean 2-3 months or so after that.

One other thing, if you have a seeping heater core the antifreeze will mix with the air coming out and will settle on the glass. If it hazes up fast and you can't seem to keep it clean, this is something to think about.

I've used various products for this. What I find works best is either ammonia with water and a bit of alcohol, or vinegar with water and a bit of alcohol. The trick really is to get it dry with the towels before it dries on its own to keep it from looking streaky or water spotty. To get rid of the haze though, you need to go back about 3-4 days later and rub the glass down with a dry towel, preferably a microfiber. I don't know why this is, but I've never been able to avoid the haze unless I also do the dry rub a few days later. It normally stays clean 2-3 months or so after that.

One other thing, if you have a seeping heater core the antifreeze will mix with the air coming out and will settle on the glass. If it hazes up fast and you can't seem to keep it clean, this is something to think about.

My favorite is the plain ol blue WW fluid,, cold wx stuff,,has alcohol ,, add ammonia and it's awsome.
the ammonia helps it dry quick enuf to keep streaking to a minimum.

but i think my windshield needs a grinding wheel ! :)

Sure it's on the inside then? Just driving a car on a daily basis can cause the outside to get micropitted which eventually looks like haze particularly if you drive through construction zones a lot. May just need to replace. If you do, Pilkington makes the best automotive glass IMO.

Odd this thread regarding cleaning interior glass comes up on my return from my latest trip.

Two nights ago, I was driving the new Pete back hauling through the Canadian back woods when I felt the need for a little break & stretch.

I had recalled I had pressed a couple of irritating black flies onto the glass while driving to get rid of them and recalled I should clean that up later (OCD)

Also being heavy on the Vaping, with my 12 Monkey's Mangabeys E-juice, + regular cigarettes, the front interior glass does quickly within the week form a haze that can clearly be seen at night when passing past street lights. If you suffer from OCD like I do, you just can't help that clean is not clean enough.

So I stopped ... and I ran this new cleaner I picked up across the front glass and cleaned it to a no streak finish in under a minute.

I used to use Wurth saBesto premium glass cleaner, #0890 9026
(not a product you'll easily find at retail level, more of a dealer or detailer item, hard to come by and expensive.)

wurth-glass-cleaner.jpg

I had given up on this product since finding Spray Nine Glass & Stainless Steel Cleaner,
this stuff works like CRAZY, comes out in a light mist that turns into a foam, no running, cleans perfectly with no streaks or spots.

C233191.jpg

I've always been a big fan of the regular Spray Nine cleaner so when I saw this new Spray Nine Glass and Stainless cleaner on the shelves at the Peterbilt dealership out West of Canada, I bought one can followed by two more a week later.

Haven't seen this item at retail stores just yet but I figure it won't be long, this stuff is somewhat new, where I bought it they had to still enter the SKU number into thier system in order to ring me up, said it wasn't supposed to be on the shelves just yet.

I guess it's a very new product.

I always have on hand and only ever user Scott Shop Towels to clean glass with.

71zoex1dQqL._SY355AA355_PIbundle-1650,TopRight,0,0_AA355_SH20_.jpg

If there is a lot of gunk on the interior side of your glass I can see a second application may be necessary.

Things to remember:

1) Always clean at evening/night time, no sense trying to buff some glass clean in direct sunlight. Cold glass cleans better.

2) try placing the vehicle with a street light shining inwards toward you while cleaning inside glass.

3) expect to repeat the process for best results, your not always going to get it completely clean on the first go.

I currently swear by Spray Nine Glass & Stainless Steel Cleaner, this stuff simply works period. No Fn'ing around, spray on a light mist on entire glass, allow to foam up for a few seconds and begin to wipe clean with the blue Scott Shop towels.

Making sure to turn the towel over a bunch of times as not to wipe with dirt. Continue a second light mist with a second set of clean towels.

I'm very pleased with this latest Spray Nine glass cleaner product, so much so, that I showed my wife how easily and great it can clean things around the house also :p

Oh and when I did stop and cleaned the glass the other night, when I continued onward, I had to convince myself there is actually some glass in front of me, so clean it looked like I was missing a front windshield.

You can choose to
censored.gif
around with alcohol mixtures, vinegar possibly even ashes from your fire pit OR you can simply invest in a real good foaming action glass cleaner and be done with it. (don't clean warm glass with any product, always clean cold glass)

Good luck.

spam.gif

Spray Nine Glass & Stainless Steel Cleaner brings out the sparkling shine in glass, stainless steel and other metal surfaces. Its foaming action is ideal for cleaning vertical surfaces. Use it to remove dirt, soil, dust, fingerprints, smudges, light grease and more! Leaves a refreshing lemon scent. Contains no harmful Chlorofluorocarbons (CFC’s).

Use on:
Windows, mirrors, stainless steel, chrome, and more!

wurth-glass-cleaner.jpg

C233191.jpg

71zoex1dQqL._SY355AA355_PIbundle-1650,TopRight,0,0_AA355_SH20_.jpg

I've always been a big fan of the regular Spray Nine cleaner so when I saw this new Spray Nine Glass and Stainless cleaner on the shelves at the Peterbilt dealership out West of Canada, I bought one can followed by two more a week later.

Sooooooo...... I gotta ask..... What's "west of Canada" besides a rather large body of salt water?? Is there a ship out there somewhere in int'l waters that sells the stuff tax-free?? :p:p:p:p:p

You in need of a fresh one?

map.jpg

map.jpg

uhhh, the United States of America...

... I wasn't positive about Alaska.....

Canadians not all that dumb after all, US said, we want that and we'll call it 'Alaska'.
Canada gladly handed it over in a hurry, nothing good ever grew in Alaska.

~ Alaska Airlines: Find Airline Tickets, Low Airfares, and ... please wait while we find something better.

~ Moving to Alaska — Everything you need to know that Canadians don't want you to know about the North.

Members online

Back