Waiting Room

10689674_10206147684554061_2207185723045142068_n.jpg

There's a double threat!!!!!!

2850894-4827934491-fanbo.jpg

And when they went to FWD they dropped off my list of cars I would buy. Front wheel drive cars drive like crap. They have always driven like crap, and they always will drive like crap.

well I'm not a fan boy of FWD cars, FWD is one of the main dis-qualifiers for my to buy the car, however, I also am not the main demographic for people buying brand new luxury cars so that wont effect their sales outcomes one bit.

I am however not silly enough to think think that my demographic (by far being the minority) continuing to buy big(er) motor RWD cars would cause that car to fail... come on bud, face facts... most cars sold on earth are FWD, people for whatever reason love buying FWD cars and really aint sh!t gonna stop that. maybe when the majority of people actually want RWD, then it could make or break a platform.

then again, I'm sure ford didn't do any market research or test groups on it either...

if people want a RWD car that drives great, good news, all the big three make a sport car for them. or if they are one of the very few that wants a high performance sedan, two of the big three also makes those too (interesting that the one company of the big three that doesn't offer one, is the one company that didn't need to file for bankruptcy or get bough out by the foreigners...)

however if somebody just wants to ride around in style, with a nice safe AWD system, good news, Lincoln is making the Continental just for them. after seeing all of the MKS's, MKZ's, and MKX's that are out there on the road, I don't think it will be a problem finding people to buy them.

oh yeah, how did the SS performance sedan work out for GM? looks like so many people bought them that they are discontinuing the Commodore after next year... and well, if they building any, its gonna be hard to have them exported from the land down under...

looks like the list of cars you can buy is getting more and more foreign everyday...

well I'm not a fan boy of FWD cars, FWD is one of the main dis-qualifiers for my to buy the car, however, I also am not the main demographic for people buying brand new luxury cars so that wont effect their sales outcomes one bit.

I am however not silly enough to think think that my demographic (by far being the minority) continuing to buy big(er) motor RWD cars would cause that car to fail... come on bud, face facts... most cars sold on earth are FWD, people for whatever reason love buying FWD cars and really aint sh!t gonna stop that. maybe when the majority of people actually want RWD, then it could make or break a platform.

then again, I'm sure ford didn't do any market research or test groups on it either...

if people want a RWD car that drives great, good news, all the big three make a sport car for them. or if they are one of the very few that wants a high performance sedan, two of the big three also makes those too (interesting that the one company of the big three that doesn't offer one, is the one company that didn't need to file for bankruptcy or get bough out by the foreigners...)

however if somebody just wants to ride around in style, with a nice safe AWD system, good news, Lincoln is making the Continental just for them. after seeing all of the MKS's, MKZ's, and MKX's that are out there on the road, I don't think it will be a problem finding people to buy them.

oh yeah, how did the SS performance sedan work out for GM? looks like so many people bought them that they are discontinuing the Commodore after next year... and well, if they building any, its gonna be hard to have them exported from the land down under...

looks like the list of cars you can buy is getting more and more foreign everyday...

Cadillac and Lincoln used to compete. Caddy went FWD and almost went under. They started converting back to RWD and are once again a force to be reckoned with. Lincoln also went FWD and are close to going under, but did not go back to RWD. They are still going under. The MKZ was supposed to replace the LS, and has not sold well. Cadillac is now a world class competitor while Lincoln now competes with Buick, which should tell you something. The Continental could have turned the boat for Lincoln, but well, you know, a Fusion with a long star on it really is a different car, right?

Incidentally, the SS as well as the GTO and the G8 are being sold in the US due to some agreement GM made to make X number of cars in Australia to be sold in the US. Unfortunately, GM seems intent on making the minimum required to meet the agreement so they offer them only fully loaded and put crappy colors on them. GM does not see the SS as important to them. It's a shame too, because they could have called it the Chevelle, then offered it with a V6 and a small V8 along with the full options packages they put in other cars they'd have a real winner that would fly off the lots.

This site needs to be split into two sites now. Lincoln VS Buick, and Cadillac VS The World.

Gotta love The People's Republik of Kalifornia....... Where else can your Lt. Gov. declare a State of Emergency for flooding in the middle (probably end) of an extreme drought? Wish they'd make up their minds......

And, they're raising water rates because we're using less water......LIKE WE WERE MANDATED TO DO!!!!!! Jeesh!!!!

the SS was important, but the political climate is such that car production is not even remotely viable anymore.
by 2017 or 2018, there will be zero car manufacturers left in australia.

so thats no Falcon, and no Commodore (so no SS).
even toyota is packing up and leaving.

Cadillac and Lincoln used to compete. Caddy went FWD and almost went under. They started converting back to RWD and are once again a force to be reckoned with. Lincoln also went FWD and are close to going under, but did not go back to RWD. They are still going under. The MKZ was supposed to replace the LS, and has not sold well. Cadillac is now a world class competitor while Lincoln now competes with Buick, which should tell you something. The Continental could have turned the boat for Lincoln, but well, you know, a Fusion with a long star on it really is a different car, right?

the difference is that cadillac DID go under LOL

Cadillac a force to be reckoned with? is that why they had to shut down the plant in Lansing MI for 6 weeks because they had too many cars they couldn't sell(with huge incentives, like up to 12k off a base model), and now after they opened back in January, they are running on just a single shift with a highly reduced production schedule! earlier this year, CTS sales were down 25% YOY... better watch out!

luckily, gas is now cheap again and people are buying Escalade again... which is probably the only thing keeping Cadillac afloat right now...

also since you really never base you incoherent rambling and Lincoln bitching and any real numbers... allow me to help you...
go here and do the math for yourself (or in your case, use a calculator)

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/p/sales-stats.html

then instead of guessing, you can see hard data.

since I doubt you'll even do that, allow me to highlight some of it for you

YEAR TOTAL US SALES CTS MKZ <since we are talking about the direct fusion twin here...
2014 31,115 34,009
this year (so far) 9,689 15,260 wait, is that 50% more Lincoln MKZs sold vs CTSs, holy sh!t, better watch out

Incidentally, the SS as well as the GTO and the G8 are being sold in the US due to some agreement GM made to make X number of cars in Australia to be sold in the US. Unfortunately, GM seems intent on making the minimum required to meet the agreement so they offer them only fully loaded and put crappy colors on them. GM does not see the SS as important to them.

there's a reason, its because nobody is buying them... why spend money building cars that nobody wants to buy...

but end the end your probably right, people just dont want to buy FWD cars anymore...

oh wait, of the top ten vehicles sold this YTD, three are pickup trucks, and all of the rest are FWD econoboxes (only one of the non trucks is a ford...the rest are Jap Crap)

hmmmm, I wonder how far down the list we need to go to find an american RWD sedan?
all the way down to #53 the dodge charger (9 spots lower than its FWD chevy counterpart)

hey but the ATS made it to#142! and the CTS made it to #158 while the MKZ sits nicely at #122... sadly all three together doesn't equal half what BMW sold in 3/4 series... or all three together barely equals half of what Mercedes C-class sells...

so long story short, the Germans, like them or not, are a force to be reckoned with, everybody else is just fighting over table scraps.

I'm retired and bored, so I watch a lot of TV. Too much.

Am I the only one that thinks network TV has forgotten how to produce a good show? When an A list star like Halle Barry can't save a TV show..........

The only watchable shows are on the non-network channels. (Tyrant is a great show.)

It seems like ever since "Lost" did so well, too many shows now move the story line all over the place. (Ex, Under The Dome.) And, one more zombie show and I'm going to smash my TV.

OK. Got that off my chest.

yeah I really dont like a lot of what on nation TV, but chances are if its on AMC or FX there is a good chance I'll watch it! too bad the best shows have all ended now :( hell even showtime and HBO are making really good shows!

breaking bad
mad men
the walking dead (the only good zombie show...)
better call Saul
sons of anarchy
justified
the shield
game of thrones
the wire
true detective
homeland
dexter
weeds

bout all i care to watch...

oh yeah, netflix too with House of Cards and Marco Polo...

as far as regular TV, well there is probably a reason that it is free...

I'm retired and bored, so I watch a lot of TV. Too much.

Am I the only one that thinks network TV has forgotten how to produce a good show? When an A list star like Halle Barry can't save a TV show..........

The only watchable shows are on the non-network channels. (Tyrant is a great show.)

It seems like ever since "Lost" did so well, too many shows now move the story line all over the place. (Ex, Under The Dome.) And, one more zombie show and I'm going to smash my TV.

OK. Got that off my chest.
I used to watch Under the Dome but it got to silly. We watch Extant and that one is hanging by a thread. The ones I'm finding interesting now are the Netflix originals like Orange Is The New Black and Sense8. I also get a kick out of Once Upon A Time and Salem. That last one will really have you thinking about being nice to your women. I've noticed one thing lately. There are a lot of shows that have these heavy duty monologues performed by very young teen actors and they perform them quite well. Many young actresses are performing well beyond their age.

so... as far as free, there is probably a reason that its regular TV?

They don't have as many sponsors (or they have less powerful sponsors) on free network and work with a lower budget, leadign to lower quality

Notice how the start and end times are starting to drift one way or the other? Ex, start, 9PM, end 10:02.

Why? Simple.

They are getting back at those of us that DVR their shows and then fast forward through the commercials. With oddball starts/finishes, they are hoping that you'll pick their show to watch "live".

Notice how the start and end times are starting to drift one way or the other? Ex, start, 9PM, end 10:02.

Why? Simple.

They are getting back at those of us that DVR their shows and then fast forward through the commercials. With oddball starts/finishes, they are hoping that you'll pick their show to watch "live".

If it's programmed that way in the guide, the DVR should automatically start and end at those times. If a show consistently runs over time, you can adjust your DVR to run a few extra minutes.

But I like that theory

They don't have as many sponsors (or they have less powerful sponsors) on free network and work with a lower budget, leadign to lower quality

actually its the opposite, broadcast TV has bigger budgets, with higher paying sponsors, with more viewers...

think about it, if you have cable, you still have all the broadcast channels, but if you live where you only can get broadcast TV (or you just choose to go over the air cause its free) then you only have broadcast TV. when your dealing with over the air TV, their revenue only comes from sponsors, where as cable channels get like ESPN also get money from each subscriber (in ESPN's case, about $6 per subscriber). since broadcast TV can reach more people if they can manage a good show, they can charge more money per commercial. cough cough Superbowl cough*

this may change in the very near future however as in the last couple of years, cable channels have been putting out great programming while broadcast channels have been putting out a lot of duds, regardless, in the past and for now the big 4 (ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX) are still juggernauts and are going to be hard to beat.

for instance

"American Idol" averages in excess of 20 million viewers a week. "Dancing With the Stars" is not far behind. Among scripted programs, "NCIS" attracts about 18 million viewers a week. Its offshoot, "NCIS: L.A.," does approximately 15.5 million. "The Mentalist" pulls in more than 14 million viewers. That's double the best of the cable series.

"The Closer" and "Rizzoli & Isles" hit a peak of about 7 million on TNT. Most of the USA character-driven dramas are in the 4-to-5 million range. AMC gets a lot of publicity for "Mad Men" but its audience is only 2-to-3 million. The network's big hit, the zombie epic "The Walking Dead," does about twice as well. Cable is able to prosper with lesser ratings because of its dual revenue stream, advertising and monthly subscription fees, which the broadcasters don't have.

If it's programmed that way in the guide, the DVR should automatically start and end at those times. If a show consistently runs over time, you can adjust your DVR to run a few extra minutes.

But I like that theory

Fortunately, most of the shows that I watch are cable channel shows, and they repeat either later that evening or another day.

Yes, my DVR does start/stop according to the guide, but there are times when that interferes with the next show.

Another TV trend is to not completely end the show at the stated time, so, if you DVR'ed, you may miss something at the very end..

our DVR has an option to add some many minutes to before and after the recording time to avoid that issue.

our DVR has an option to add some many minutes to before and after the recording time to avoid that issue.

True, but there are times, for example, when I want to DVR two shows that start at 10PM, but I run into an issue when a show I'm already DVRing ends at 10:02.

Simple solution.

I should stop watching/DVRing so many dumb shows.

Kind of getting hooked on oddball shows like Complications, Mr Robot. and Humans.

The big trend now is AI. Seems to be replacing Zombies.

Simple solution.

get DirecTV...

I have my DVR defaults set to start on time, but record an extra 5 mins for normal shows and an extra 30 minutes for live events. then there are five tuners in the main box, so I can either record five shows on different networks or be watching a show and still record 4 more (and if the shows being recorded are jumping channels, I can still watch one while recording two others, getting the five mins over on those channels while still being able to start recording two other channels)

I literally don't remember the last time I had a scheduling conflict that wouldn't let me record and watch all the shows I needed to.

Members online

No members online now.
Back