2003 LS aftermarket radio install

Nicholas Venuti

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi i was wondering if anyone can help me with this issue that just arose. i just installed an appradio 3 and took out the old factory 6-disk unit. The issue i am running into is the with the wiring schematics that match my car are the ones for the 04 module and not the 03. After i hooked it up to test the sound quality from the speakers i found out every thing works minus the subwoofers in the back. i looked at the radio speaker thread in this forum, but like i said it seems like the wiring is different in my 03 than what was posted.

AFAIK, the early 03s had gen I style radio wiring, and the later 03s had gen II style radio wiring. You'll need the harness to connect to the 8 pin connector. It will have two RCAs and two amp enable wires. One of the RCAs and one of the amp enable wires is for the subs in the back (they are mono). The other RCA and amp wire is for the center console speakers (if you have those). It's best not to connect this unless your radio has a mono center channel output (it doesn't). Be sure to use a 1K to 2K ohm resistor between the radio's amp enable out wire and the sub amp enable wire in the harness.

Okay so i bought an 8-pin metra wire harness with the 2 RCAs and it does not fit... just my luck. So im thinking about splicing the wires to the RCA but i do not know what wires i should put together. I cant find the diagrams anywhere for this car. any ideas?

Gen II colors for the subs on the 8-pin are:
Yellow/red - sub amp enable
Gray/red - sub audio - (ground/shield of RCA)
White/red - sub audio + (center of RCA)

getting the right parts is not too difficult...

early 03 and older LSs
met-705519.jpg

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...t[query_id]=27108026&SearchClickout[Ignore]=1

mid 03 and newer LSs
met-705521.jpg

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...t[query_id]=27108214&SearchClickout[Ignore]=1

met-705519.jpg

met-705521.jpg

Odd, it does for me now as well, this morning, I had clicked both links and got the same -5519 product page.
Even repeated it and opened it in two separate tabs. Wierd ... was only my first coffee of the day but
I could have swore I had separately clicked both links individually and gotten the same -5519 connector.

<shrugs> happens to me on the weather channel website a lot also. :runaway:

<blush> Think it might have something to do with old age?
... at least I can look forward to my new glasses in the mail this week.

Loud, what kinda music you into?

have you tried DECAF zips 25hz?

Not sure if you're into that kinda thing: http://ram-designs.com/decaf/

big downloads, RAR compressed but well worth it.
couple of test tones files also.

// sorry thread jack done //

all kinds, from classic country, bluegrass, rock, rap, dubstep, jazz and maybe a little classical...

thanks, I'll give those a look!

I would say with the warmer weather moving in, my playlist right now is almost all Aaron Lewis, Eric Church, Colt Ford, The LACs, Skrillex, and some Cadillac Three...

all kinds, from classic country, bluegrass, rock, rap, dubstep, jazz and maybe a little classical...

thanks, I'll give those a look!

I would say with the warmer weather moving in, my playlist right now is almost all Aaron Lewis, Eric Church, Colt Ford, The LACs, Skrillex, and some Cadillac Three...

sunny ledfurd?

http://ram-designs.com/decaf/

try downloading file: Decaf RAR 26

and play file: Blown Instrumental (26andUp).mp3 in your car!

If you have REAL good audio and CAN hit those real lows, you'll buzz out on that track!

Not much of a song as it's strictly only an Instrumental track but it hit the REAL lows. TOO LOW !!!!

(ps: I can't with what I've currently got in my winter beater)

I have a 2000 LS with alpine system, and am having problems with the subwoofer/mids plug on the Metra 70-5519.

The connector body is slightly too large, and the pin rows on the metra plug are too far apart. Instead of lining up with the connector slots where the pins were supposed to go, they lined up with the release/disassembly slots. I've read a couple places of other people having this problem. Anyone here hear of it?

the only problem i have with that harness, are sometimes (actually a lot) the pins are not pointing exactly straight. i need to take a pick tool (a key can work in a pinch) and bend them a little, then the harness slides right in and clicks locked.

I have never had a problem where the harness wasn't the right size... I can tell you that I've easily used that harness well over a hundred times, lincolns, f150s, explorers, escapes, mustangs, doesn't matter, always works after a little adjustment.

I have a 2000 LS with alpine system, and am having problems with the subwoofer/mids plug on the Metra 70-5519.

The connector body is slightly too large, and the pin rows on the metra plug are too far apart. Instead of lining up with the connector slots where the pins were supposed to go, they lined up with the release/disassembly slots. I've read a couple places of other people having this problem. Anyone here hear of it?

I had this same problem with my install. I ended up pulling the pins out of the metra harness and just sliding them into the factory sub plug. Worked for me until the factory subs blew the foam surrounds out and I just installed a 12" sub and amp I had.

I had this same problem with my install. I ended up pulling the pins out of the metra harness and just sliding them into the factory sub plug. Worked for me until the factory subs blew the foam surrounds out and I just installed a 12" sub and amp I had.

Turns out I got it to fit, with some coercing/bending of pins. Still doesn't lock correctly.. I took the red guide/lockplate off and used it to press into the metra kit and make the pins line up. It now inserts properly, but the pins are splayed out a bit. I took pictures, which can be found here:
http://www.c-j-l.net/Home/audio/metra-70-5519-fittment-issues

Members online

Back