Rear view mirror auto dim ....

sacsfin3st

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So I bought my LS in feb. didn't know it had auto dimming mirrors on it as its never auto dimmed for me.

Today I was installing an amp for my mids and highs and upon taking the car for a test drive to listen to new system I notice my rear view mirror mostly dimmed..
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21375595101.682476.jpg

This is the first time it's ever dimmed. During the drive I can almost watch the shape change. A few hours later. Only a few small spots on the bottom were still dimmed.

What determines when the mirror dims?
What could cause this odd dimming?
Am I looking at a replacement?
Lastly, if the rear view mirror dims, shouldn't the drivers side mirror dim as well? It was not dimmed during this experience. And like the rear view mirror before today, has never dimmed before.

Also during this instal I found 2 unconnected things under the center console.. One looks to be some sort of phone line jack? Actually it looks wider than the standard phone jack, looks more like an ethernet port.
The other I haven't any idea what it would be for. Anyone?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21375595460.959528.jpg

Thank you for your help!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21375595101.682476.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21375595460.959528.jpg

Your dimming mirror is leaking fluid, needs a replacement. You can check to see if your driver side dimming works by covering the sensor behind your rear view mirror at daytime hours. Or at night time by shining a light in front of the rear view mirror. The rear view mirror and the driver side mirror use the same sensor in the rear view mirror to dim the mirrors.

The Ethernet plug looks to me like a factory phone jack but the LS crowd will better guide you.

The Ethernet plug looks to me like a factory phone jack but the LS crowd will better guide you.

It does indeed look factory.. The two being unconnected with nothing near them to plug back into has me wondering.

I know my rear view mirror works...it turns a greenish hue....non of my side mirrors dim.

The driver's door mirror dimming is a 2nd gen thing.

That mirror needs replacement. It will start leaking onto the console and then you will need a new console as the fluid in the mirror is caustic.

That plug looks like it is for the traction control (or Advancetrac) button/switch. If your car is a 2000 I suspect that other plug may be for the optional phone. Do you have the antenna mounted on the rear window?

The driver's door mirror dimming is a 2nd gen thing.

That mirror needs replacement. It will start leaking onto the console and then you will need a new console as the fluid in the mirror is caustic.

That plug looks like it is for the traction control (or Advancetrac) button/switch. If your car is a 2000 I suspect that other plug may be for the optional phone. Do you have the antenna mounted on the rear window?

The mirror has 'settled' for lack of better words and now currently looks like this ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21375648073.567805.jpg

It has a real smudgey look to it as if someone had touched it repeatedly without cleaning it.
:(

The advanc trac button has a plug that connects it and is connected.

the unidentified plug looks like the coaxial cable you would use for TV.

Not sure it mine has an antenna in the back window.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21375648550.482365.jpg

Above the green line, is that the antenna?
Below red line being the defrost for the rear window?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21375648073.567805.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21375648550.482365.jpg

Actually, I meant an externally mounted antenna......

I think I read with a bit of modifications. I could swap my non compass auto dimming mirror for one with a compass... Does my memory hold true?

I am looking at this one ..
http://bit.ly/1cppAq0

Actually, a variety of slightly different mirrors were used through the years on the LS.

I was reading another thread on here about rear view mirror replacement. The OP had mentioned joegr have him a wiring diagram. Would you happen to have this diagram still joegr?

I am asking cause I got my new mirror with compass to replace my previous mirror with no compass.

I am looking at the wires on the new mirror before I go at the job.
I have 7 wires.

White with a blue stripe
White with a green stripe
Yellow with a green or blue stripe
What looks like pink with a black stripe
What looks like solid pink : power I assume
Solid black : ground I assume
What looks like tab with an orange stripe

Ty for any help

I was reading another thread on here about rear view mirror replacement. The OP had mentioned joegr have him a wiring diagram. Would you happen to have this diagram still joegr?

I am asking cause I got my new mirror with cNot ompass to replace my previous mirror with no compass.

I am looking at the wires on the new mirror before I go at the job.
I have 7 wires.

White with a blue stripe Reverse signal
White with a green stripe Not shown in gen II diagrams
Yellow with a green or blue stripe Switched power to mirror
What looks like pink with a black stripe Not shown in gen II diagrams
What looks like solid pink : power I assume Not shown in gen II diagrams
Solid black : ground I assume Not shown in gen II diagrams
What looks like tab with an orange stripe Not shown in gen II diagrams

Ty for any help

Gen II 7-pin mirror

1. Yellow/blue - Switched power
2. Black/orange - Ground
3. White/blue - Reverse signal
4. Yellow/blue - Positive signal to driver's mirror for dimming
5. Brown/blue - Negative signal to driver's mirror for dimming
6. Not connected
7. Not connected

Gen II 16 pin mirror (/w THX nav)
2. Black/orange - Ground
3. White/blue - Reverse signal
8. Brown/blue - Negative signal to driver's mirror for dimming
9. White/red - Microphone +
10. Brown/red - Microphone -
11. Bare - Shield
12. Yellow/blue - Positive signal to driver's mirror for dimming
13. Yellow/blue - Switched power

This supposedly came out of another 00 Lincoln ls. Did they have gen I and gen II for that year?

Gen I = 2000 - 2002
Gen II = 2003 - 2006

This was my understanding as well.
Does the wiring differ between gen I and gen Ii?

This mirror replacement is a bit tough in comparison to my old box chevs. One Allen screw and mirror replaced. Lol

Ty for all the help.

This was my understanding as well.
Does the wiring differ between gen I and gen Ii?

This mirror replacement is a bit tough in comparison to my old box chevs. One Allen screw and mirror replaced. Lol

Ty for all the help.

Yes, gen I and gen II mirror wiring is a little different.

Just finished up my swap.
Everything working great!

I basically took the 3 pins out of the previous connector (OFC remembering the positions of the pins), took the 3 pins out of the new connector, put the 3 pins in the respective spots on the new connector. Plugged mirror in to test out .. Tada done! Compass and all.

For. Anyone wanting to do this I would recommend having your replacement in hand and taking the time to take the pieces off to familiarize yourself with the process. It made the parts of the job in the car much easier.

1. Take off plastic piece from rain sensor.

I used a flat head, put mirror as far down as you can, go under the plastic in each corner prying it away from the windshield.

2. Remove the metal piece covering the mirror base at the windshield.
View attachment 828461566
View attachment 828461567

This itself is pretty difficult. I found it easiest to use a 3/16 flathead. And pry from the left side away from windshield. This will take some muscle. Don't be scared.
View attachment 828461568
(China's the best arnt they?!)

3. With the mirror in its furthest down position, maneuver mirror left and right while pulling upwards towards the interior headliner. The mirror should come off pretty easy.

4. At this point remove the connector from the mirror and discard/store the mirror away.

5. Take a flathead screwdriver designed for eyeglasses and push down on the each pin flattening the piece preventing it from coming out of the connector.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376846501.402582.jpg

Keep track of which wire goes to which pin slot number.

6. Take the 3 pins out of the new mirrors connector. You don't have to worry about which pin was where in the new connector.

7. Take your eyeglasses flathead and push the parts on the pins you flattened up a little bit. Take the 3 pins from your old connector and insert them into the new connector until you hear a click. This means they are fully inserted and seated properly. You may need to use your eyeglasses flathead to push them in all the way.

8. On the new mirror, remove the metal piece that attaches mirror to the windshield.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376846856.008356.jpg

9. Connect the mirror to its connector most of the way. Just enough to give it power. Turn your key to the run position and press the compass and mirror button. Your compass should turn on and a little green light should appear next your mirror button.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376847199.373844.jpg

If all is well, turn key to OFF position, unplug the connector from the new mirror.

10. Put new mirror in its furthest down position, slide mirror over the same metal piece currently attached to your windshield. This will also take some force. Keep sliding it on until you hear a click. This ensures the mirror is on completely.

10. Plug in your rain sensor connector, plug in your rear view mirror. You should hear a click for both. Attach the rain sensor cover.

You now have a working auto dimming w/ compass mirror.
My only problem I have yet to resolve is the plastic piece in the picture below. I can not get it to snap back on the neck of the new mirror. Maybe I was supposed to put it on before sliding the mirror on the windshield as mentioned in step 10?
View attachment 828461565

Not sure yet but I will figure it out.

Thank you joegr for your word of wisdom!

Good luck to anyone else attempting. It was interesting.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376846501.402582.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376846856.008356.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376847199.373844.jpg

I'm going to bring this thread back to life for a moment. I'm in the process of swapping my
mirror for one off an '06. All I now need, is the 7 pin connector so I may change from the
three pin.
I have checked on the Bay, but most of these clowns want between 40 and 50$ for it....:eek:/

Does anyone have one of these they are willing to part with ? Or, anyone have a link to some
Chi-Knee seller ?

If this doesn't work, I'll have to custom make myself one.....and I lack the time to do so.

Anyone have a Gen I wiring diagram? I have a dimming compass mirror but the compass display just shows all segments (188°c°f). There is a second wire bundle that is just cut. My rain sending wipers also don't work, but the sensor lights up. Any help?

Ok, I finished my swap without having to invest in a 7 pin connector at all. The three pin
connector sits right in the seven pin slot in the mirror just fine.

I am probably not teaching anyone anything new right now with this, however, if someone
else falls on this thread first, well, this is good info if they are looking at swapping from a three
pin mirror :p

Since all seven pin mirrors have the same configuration when it comes to powering them, you can almost
use just about any donner for a mirror...as long as it has 7 pins.
As mentioned above in previous posts, from left to right, pin one is 12v, then ground, and so on. So, I took
the three pin connector, and broke off the retaining tab, and gently pushed it in the right slots in the new mirror.
It sits in the mirror perfectly, and works great without the extra work and investment.

Anyone have a Gen I wiring diagram? I have a dimming compass mirror but the compass display just shows all segments (188°c°f). There is a second wire bundle that is just cut. My rain sending wipers also don't work, but the sensor lights up. Any help?

Dead Thread Redemption. Turns out I'm missing the separate compass module because it was cut off at some point before my ownership. Looks like I'll be buying a mirror with one since the compass is hardwired and I don't see any sold separately

Does the Gen 1 mirror have a driver side dimming signal pin? I'm going to put on gen 2 folding mirrors and want to hook up that feature

I could also use help diagnosing the auto wipers while I'm in that spot. Last I checked (some time in 2015 probably) the sensor does light up with the dim orange glow, as seen from the outside. I'm not sure where to start. They've also never worked in my ownership, so 5 years later, maybe it's time to care

Members online

Back