Rear view mirror auto dim ....

I'm not sure on the dim signal. I don't think that the 1st gen had a dimming driver's side mirror as an option.
On the rain sensing, do you have the correct windshield? It would have a prism optically bonded to it, I believe.

Fixed. Not officially, but I got everything to respond. And now I'm PISSED. The compass didn't work because the actual compass module was cut off. It's not hardwired, but the plug is inaccessible inside the mirror body.

The rain sensor didn't work because it was missing one of the clear silicone gel pads, so the light didn't bounce around in the glass like it should. A replacement sensor with 2 pads at least gets the wipers to move. It does seem to do a calibration flash when turned on. I know someone asked if gen 1 did a calibration sweep, but I'm not sure if that was here or facebook. I don't have an answer on that yet.

To add insult, the windshield sealant now has a gap where the two beads meet over the mirror, resulting in a frequent dead center leak.

Lastly, I also found the retainer tab in the mirror base was broken, so the [un]installer used the same windshield sealant to glue it to the metal plate, complete with a swatch of sealer just above the mirror base where they started to slide the arm onto the plate. Now I'll probably be swapping mirror guts to make this work (I already opened the replacement).

4 massive a-hole moves, presumably from a shady/cheap/fast windshield replacement before my ownership. I'm amazed my wiper park heaters work. Or, at least I think they do...

Later year mirrors have the compass electronics/sensor built-in. It shouldn't be hard to swap to one of those.

My main issue with the mirror swap is that the arm is glued to the plate on the glass, so I can't readily take it off. I took apart the replacement and can swap the identical internals. The one I got was listed as 03-06, a GNTX-177, which is the same model in my car already. The plus side of that is I do believe it has the side mirror signal. I'll test it based on this pinout from above. I only have 3 wires, but a 7 pin connector. I did notice there was an 8th empty pin hole in the circuit, but no position in the connector for it. It was in the main mirror dimming circuit's trace. Maybe just a test point

Gen II 7-pin mirror

1. Yellow/blue - Switched power
2. Black/orange - Ground
3. White/blue - Reverse signal
4. Yellow/blue - Positive signal to driver's mirror for dimming
5. Brown/blue - Negative signal to driver's mirror for dimming
6. Not connected
7. Not connected

Members online

No members online now.
Back