Help Please !!!!No Power New battery Turn the key just dash comes on no clicks or tic

lsev8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

The other day I parked my lincoln Lse 3.9 V8 due to being very low on gas. I came out the next day to start it and haul a$$ to the closest gas station it cranks but didn't turn over:shifty: so I went to get gas came back put the gas in it still cranks but didn't turn over. After calling some local mechanically inclined buddies they determined that I may burnt out the fuel pump and suggested I replace it so I did and still nothing so we checked fuses and relays and everything seem to be in order "Right" very wrong. Now the battery was dead so I replaced that as well go to get in the car to attempt to start it now im not getting no crank,tick,or click the dash lights came on but I got absolutely nothing. The things I wanted to point out to someone when we checked the relays as soon as the test light comes on i noticed the trunk interior lights comes on and the moment we remove the the test light from the top of the relay the interior trunk lights goes out. The second thing I noticed was we tested all fuses and now it seems some of the fuses we checked has no power going to them at all...Please someone help i really am confused nor I'm not a mechanic.!hell you can even give me a call LOL;)

THANK YOU !

What battery did you replace it with? Are you getting any lights on the PATS?

optima battery but it was cranking fine but just wouldnt turn over and now i get nothing when i turn the key?

Check the SSP relays in the trunk. Look for corrosion of the relay sockets. Do you have a battery that is correctly connected to the external vent line?
Is the PATS light rapidly flashing when you try to start it?

optima battery but it was cranking fine but just wouldnt turn over and now i get nothing when i turn the key?

Be warned that this battery does vent, but it has no vent tube connection. When it vents, hydrogen and corrosive gases comes out.
Best case = no problems. Medium case = corrosion of the electrical and electronic parts in the trunk. Worst case = flash fire in the cabin.
A rep from Optima has posted on the forum saying that none of their batteries were safe to use in the trunk of the LS.

The safe thing to do is to get the correct battery and connect the vent tube.

Honestly what light would be blinking? I checked the relays with a test light and the light shows that they are dimmer than when i check the fuses however the left side of fuses i check the light comes on the whole right side of the fuse box is dead but hr all the fuses are good? And thanks for that post about the battery taking it back as we speak!

The PATS light is the one on top of the dash, at the center, at the base of the windshield.
You can't test a relay with just a test light.
Part of the fuse box is dead because one (or more) of the relays is bad or is not being engaged. If it's bad, then it's simple enough to replace it. If it's not being engaged (driven), then you have to figure out why (wiring, REM, FEM, whatever).

Ok so your talking about the red light that blinks ontop if the dash correct? what should i be looking for ?and also will it be one of the relays in the trunk or under the hood?

From you descriptions, it will be one of the relays in the trunk.
Normal operation of the PATS light is to be on steady and then go out as you start the car.
A PATS security problem will cause the light to flash rapidly when you try to start the car, then after a minute or two it will flash out a two digit error code.
If the PCM relay fails (or the PCM is otherwise not powered), the PATS light will also flash and then flash out code 16.

Thanks I will be buying some new ones i think its like 4 or 5 black relays back their

Normal operation of the PATS light is to be on steady and then go out as you start the car.
A PATS security problem will cause the light to flash rapidly when you try to start the car, then after a minute or two it will flash out a two digit error code.
If the PCM relay fails (or the PCM is otherwise not powered), the PATS light will also flash and then flash out code 16.

i cant figure this thing out...why everyone that comes to look at it say yea its dim you need need relays

i cant figure this thing out...why everyone that comes to look at it say yea its dim you need need relays

two thoughts with this,

first Joe has asked a very important question multiply times without getting an answer. the answer to that question could either tell you exactly what the problem is or rule out one of the biggest possibilities. so what is the PATS light doing when you turn and hold the key to the start position??? no light at all = problem, rapid flashing = problem (and that would mean that the PATS is keeping the starter from working for some reason), or light on solid then goes off = normal operation and this system is not your problem.

second, if you have people coming over to look at it and they tell you that you need relays because something is dim, sounds like they dont know a whole lot about this car and at this point, it might be time to take it to some one who does. this aint no easy to fix push rod V8, it is a very complicated, computer controlled fuel injection car with multiple engine disabling systems (which is part of why you never want to use test lights on it...).

this is so true im about to go outside and find out about the light

So what happened with the PATS? What is it doing?

I hate to be THIS guy, but please don't make new threads - just update your old one.

So what happened with the PATS? What is it doing?

I hate to be THIS guy, but please don't make new threads - just update your old one.

Hate is such a strong wrong LOL,

But i did what you said and see if the PATS light was blinking once i turned it to the on position and yes its blinking fast please help!

Are you reading anything in this thread?
If the PCM relay fails (or the PCM is otherwise not powered), the PATS light will also flash and then flash out code 16

YES.... It flashes a code of 1:1 how to reset this ?

There's no resetting it. The fault must be fixed. That's the code for transceiver fault.
Either the PATS key transceiver is faulty, or it isn't getting power. There's a troubleshooting procedure for this, but it's pretty involved. Given how much it took just to get to the code reading, I think that it's time you had it towed to a dealer for diagnosis.

Thanks is their anything i could try cause due to listening to every wanna be mechanic I know I already replaced the fuel pump for no reason because in the very beginning I was at least getting a crank!

when you say that you checked fuses, did you check all of them or just the ones that you thought were important?

Thanks is their anything i could try
well i dont think it could help with your problem, the first thing i wll always try when having a PATS problem is using another key. other than that, you could try following the testing and repair steps here
http://deneau.info/ls/
but as mentioned already, thats kinda advanced stuff that people need a lot of experience with that kind of thing

cause due to listening to every wanna be mechanic I know I already replaced the fuel pump for no reason because in the very beginning I was at least getting a crank!
as said before, due to the complexities of this car, a trained professional might be your best (and most cost effective) route, $100 to have the dealership do all of the testing for you and tell you exactly what the problem is and what needs to be done to fix it, is really a good deal.

when you say that you checked fuses, did you check all of them or just the ones that you thought were important?

well i dont think it could help with your problem, the first thing i wll always try when having a PATS problem is using another key. other than that, you could try following the testing and repair steps here
http://deneau.info/ls/
but as mentioned already, thats kinda advanced stuff that people need a lot of experience with that kind of thing

as said before, due to the complexities of this car, a trained professional might be your best (and most cost effective) route, $100 to have the dealership do all of the testing for you and tell you exactly what the problem is and what needs to be done to fix it, is really a good deal.[/QUOTE

Sorry for the million question but I tested them I only have about to good relays in the trunk the rest are dead!

I know it sounds dumb but can a couple of dead relays in the ssp1 is bad, ssp2 is good ssp3 is good and ssp4 is bad stop my car from no crank no start? curious"

I know it sounds dumb but can a couple of dead relays in the ssp1 is bad, ssp2 is good ssp3 is good and ssp4 is bad stop my car from no crank no start? curious"

I guess I don't understand you here. If you have identified faulty relays, why haven't you replaced them?

Members online

No members online now.
Back