Torn between Gen1 and Gen2

jdlmkviii

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone here remembers me, but it's been a good 6 years or so since I posted here. Also before anything else, I'd like to briefly say thanks and RIP to Ray Urso (1wykdmk8) for helping me out and getting me into the Mark VIII crowd in past years, he deserves the shout out. I no longer own the MK8 ('95) that I used to, sold it several years ago because it rotted away in storage and had a lot of issues arising.

Anyway, I've been pondering the idea of getting a cheaper second car to drive when my truck (2005 GMC Sierra Duramax) is down, etc. I've found a decent looking '94(155k mi) and another '97(133k mi) that I'm probably going to look at within another week or so. Both have same asking price, and both seem to be in decent condition (will determine condition more later when I go to look at them).

So here's my question, anyone here that has experience with both gens why would you pick one over the other? I'm kind of leaning toward the '97 due to it being newer and OBDII, and since I've already had a gen1. Sorry if this has already been visited in previous posts, but I couldn't find much comparison using the search function.

Thoughts?

Buy based on styling IMO. If you like the Gen I style, then just see if you are willing to let go of the features on a Gen II.

Go with the 2nd gen, better lights, better interior, etc. I prefer the 1st gen front end, 2nd gen rear, and a mix of gen 1 and 2 interior.
I'm currently on the look. Looking for either a 96 LSC BoB or another 98 Bob. Would love to find a silver with black interior. That is my dream car. I currently have the exact invert. Good luck.

BTW, a lot of parts are impossible to find these days.

Buy based on styling IMO. If you like the Gen I style, then just see if you are willing to let go of the features on a Gen II.

What features are we talking about? I've seen several Gen I's up close, but I've never even sat in a Gen II, only seen them driving.

DO NOT listen to what ppl tell you here. Instead of giving you the positive outcome of the "other" gen, they will give talk crap about the Gen they don't own. Look, in the end, you need to buy the one you like most. I've owned BOTH & really enjoyed BOTH. Like I've mentioned 100's of times... If you are looking for practical, fast, more basic looking Lincoln & you don't mind it looking a little outdated, the Gen 1 is your car. I miss my Gen 1 no matter what anyone on this board says about Gen 1's. If you're looking for a more luxurious, bit more modern twist, go for a Gen 2. Gen 2 interiors were revamped to the point they look 6-7 years ahead of their time while the interior on a Gen 1 screams 90's. They both have ton's of cons but plenty of pro's. If I was in your shoes I'd buy a Gen 2 only because I've already owned a Gen1.

What features are we talking about? I've seen several Gen I's up close, but I've never even sat in a Gen II, only seen them driving.

The big ones are power tilt and telescoping, HID, puddle lamps with integrated turn signals, neon, heated seats and traction control. (I know Gen I has TC but it's only till 30 MPH I believe).

It comes down to what you like. No matter what long as you get another mk8 does it really matter?

DO NOT listen to what ppl tell you here. Instead of giving you the positive outcome of the "other" gen, they will give talk crap about the Gen they don't own. Look, in the end, you need to buy the one you like most. I've owned BOTH & really enjoyed BOTH. Like I've mentioned 100's of times... If you are looking for practical, fast, more basic looking Lincoln & you don't mind it looking a little outdated, the Gen 1 is your car. I miss my Gen 1 no matter what anyone on this board says about Gen 1's. If you're looking for a more luxurious, bit more modern twist, go for a Gen 2. Gen 2 interiors were revamped to the point they look 6-7 years ahead of their time while the interior on a Gen 1 screams 90's. They both have ton's of cons but plenty of pro's. If I was in your shoes I'd buy a Gen 2 only because I've already owned a Gen1.

Great post. Thanks. But I guess I'll ask it... so GenI's are known to be a lil faster?

Great post. Thanks. But I guess I'll ask it... so GenI's are known to be a lil faster?

93's in particular but yeah. Gen2's have a much nicer interior. Ext styling is up to the buyer. Gen2's have great features that the gen1s don't such as a rear neon, led side view mirror turn signals,, hids, heated seat option, power telescoping steering wheel, dash ignition, nicer cluster ect ect. But you also have to know that those are extra features that can be a little pricey to replace.

I like gen 2 better but I like them both
So I have one of each
Actually 2 of each right now.
I think gen 2s are timeless in the looks department
But I also love my gen 1s HID's they are mean looking.

Only thing I like about my Gen 1 better than the Gen 2 is the front end. I like Gen 1's grill way better than Gen 2. Besides that, Gen 2 wins everything, especially anything involving TPS and IAC replacement.

Except if you have a '98 and need ABS wheel sensors.

they've all got there pros and cons.
they didn't update the interior all that much IMO.
the gen 2 looks a little bug eyed.
the extra features tend to bring more issues.
so i'm keeping my gen 1.

but 96s have a lot of one year parts, so i would avoid that year, unless you really want a 96 LSC.

Only thing I like about my Gen 1 better than the Gen 2 is the front end. I like Gen 1's grill way better than Gen 2. Besides that, Gen 2 wins everything, especially anything involving TPS and IAC replacement.

Except if you have a '98 and need ABS wheel sensors.

Do you need some wheel sensors? need to know how to get them off the car. I have 98 70 mIles from me, and that drIve wIll cost some fuel money, plus the prIce of the parts. Plus rIght now, It's well over 100 degrees every day! Gotta waIt tIll It cools off a bIt! How much you wIllIng to spend?

If your choice is only between the two. I'd take the one that has the lease amount of rust. :)

That's been asked several times over the years. For the most part, yes and only due to poor intake design on the Gen2s in my opinion. A Cobra intake solves that issue.

Go with what YOU want. Too be honest, I would feel a little more confident in finding Gen1 parts than I would Gen2 parts although parts for all years are slowly diminishing. Make a list of pros/cons that affect your decision between the 2 and go with whichever car has less cons. I don't know, lol.....

The gen II computer pulls timing between shifts and and overall programming is less aggressive but can be tuned out. Gear swaps are easier in a gen II (no speedo gear change needed).

Lights actually work at night, grills are not fragile or ridiculously expensive.

Interior is way better on the Gen II.

I have had two gen I's and my current 97, I prefer the Gen II.

The gen II computer pulls timing between shifts and and overall programming is less aggressive but can be tuned out. Gear swaps are easier in a gen II (no speedo gear change needed).

Lights actually work at night, grills are not fragile or ridiculously expensive.

Interior is way better on the Gen II.

I have had two gen I's and my current 97, I prefer the Gen II.

I'm glad you mentioned the gear change issue, I was going to do 4.10's most likely not long after I purchase.

Just get one of each. I used to have one of each...:( I love them both. There are good things about each one. I have a GEN1 now and I love it. As long as I'm driving a Mark VIII, I really don't care what year it is :) I'm just happy to be in a Mark.

Just get one of each. I used to have one of each...:( I love them both. There are good things about each one. I have a GEN1 now and I love it. As long as I'm driving a Mark VIII, I really don't care what year it is :) I'm just happy to be in a Mark.

Here here.

Members online

No members online now.
Back