rain water getting into 4,8 spark plug holes?.....

TravisLS8

LVC Member
Reaction score
So I fINALLY found the extremely rough running cause. My back to spark plug boots had rust and build up from what id think is rain water. The wiper cowl is very loose and thats where im thinkin my problem is. Does anyone have a pic of their underhood? Also looks like my strut braces are missing by my degas bottle... but SHE RUNS!

It would be helpfully to know what year LS you have. There is an extended warrenty for the 04 that covers water leaking covers cowl weather strip.

"Strut brace" runs against the fire wall under the cowl and are not connected to the top of the coil over tower.

It would be helpfully to know what year LS you have. There is an extended warrenty for the 04 that covers water leaking covers cowl weather strip.

"Strut brace" runs against the fire wall under the cowl and are not connected to the top of the coil over tower.

Sorry bout that. Car is a 2000 V8. The previous owner did the degas bottle and must not have put everything back where it needed to go.

Heavy grease around the outside of the boot usually seals out water. Had to do it to the wifes '02 Explorer because the engine cover didn't do it's job correctly.

Wow.... I cant believe i didn't think of that. Will Vaseline work?

Pretty sure that it would melt.
Dielectric grease is what you need to use. The boots for the 3.9 are not designed to seal to the wells, so I don't know how well you will be able to do here.

Usually water problems are due to the two seals around the wiper arm shafts failing. I would fix (replace) those too.

Pretty sure that it would melt.
Dielectric grease is what you need to use. The boots for the 3.9 are not designed to seal to the wells, so I don't know how well you will be able to do here.

Usually water problems are due to the two seals around the wiper arm shafts failing. I would fix (replace) those too.
Alright. I was looking for info on why i had the leak. The threads that hold the wiper on broke so I gotta replace that

You should also see if the retaining clips for the cowl cover in front of the windshield are in place. If those are gone, they allow water to leak onto the back of the engine.

You should also see if the retaining clips for the cowl cover in front of the windshield are in place. If those are gone, they allow water to leak onto the back of the engine.

Ill check but it moves around quite a bit so my guess is they are gone

Also looks like my strut braces are missing by my degas bottle...

The previous owner did the degas bottle and must not have put everything back where it needed to go.

So wait a minute, are you missing part #2 in this picture?
s6x~us~en~file=a0060108.gif

s6x~us~en~file=a0060108.gif

well i think thats a huge part of your problem as the cowl snaps to that bar, without it, your never going to be able to get the cowl to stay where it needs to...

I didn't forget about the engine bay pic. It rained all day...I'll get one today and send it to you rain or shine.

Members online

No members online now.
Back