Mounting Tires on Plasti-Dipped Rims

myfirstlincoln

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm about due for inspection and need new tires anyway. My question is pretty simple. If I go to a fairly reputable shop and ask them to take special care of my rims, can I have tires mounted without them screwing up the plasti-dip on the face of my wheels? I've had shops take the wheels off before for some suspension work and haven't encountered too many problems, but I'm not sure they secure the rim to the machine to mount/balance the tire...

I know some of you guys are running plasti-dipped wheels so if you have any experience, your insight is appreciated!

the repair kit is just a mix of thinners.... so you can probably make it yourself from your local hardware store

My guess is it will definitely be damaged. Last time I took a pair of my JH9s in - I stood in the garage and told the guy to be extra careful - they don't make these in this bolt pattern anymore.

And he proceeded to leave gashes inside of the wheel on both. Luckily they are on the far side of the wheel and you cannot see them. I went ahead and painted over the markings when I painted the weights anyways. But people just don't take care of stuff that isn't theirs. Bottomline.

Unfortunately that's what I'm afraid of...I'm not too concerned about them scuffing the inside of the wheel because I can touch that up and won't worry too much about how pretty it looks, but if wheel mounter/balancer rubs against the face I might as well peel the whole wheel and start over which totally sucks since I redid the wheels not too long ago and they're looking pretty good.

I just had my tires replaced on my dipped wheels and it caused the dip to peel around the lip
I ended up peeling it all off and redipping them

No even sure why the OP would even need to ask this question. Common sense prevails here, it's painted on rubber, of course it's going to get damaged when a tire machine runs past it with the bead breaker. Don't mean to be ignorant but this is a seeking comfort in the already known answer type question. Tire shops do have bead protectors they'd use on real nice expensive wheel but let's say they even use that on your plasti-dip'd painted wheels. It only takes a fingernail scratch to start to ruin the plasti-dip, even with any amount of rim protection, the friction alone when the bead breaker goes in, is going to start tearing away at it.

Like G say's, just touch it up afterwards or just peel the whole wheels and reshoot afterwards.

... have at least a laugh that I half choked on a handful of Multigrain Tortilla chips while typing this.

Again bashing a product you haven't even tried yet huh Rig? Lol

I dare you to take your nail to a properly applied (properly prepped, 4-5 coats) plasti-dipped wheel. Lets see who wins ;)

OP, i think you might get some damage. However that says nothing against the dip. The way i think about it is; if the wheel had been painted it would have been damaged just as the dip. But unlike the paint you can easily peel off the dip and re-do it. No biggie.

GL dude.

P.S. if the dip on your wheels gets damaged i can re do them for you, in exchange for you refinishing my headlights :shifty:

Thanks for the input guys. And yes, BigRig, I realize that there is a great possibility they will be damaged, but I also realize that plasti-dip is pretty tough and Hunter makes some amazing "touchless" machines. I wasn't planning on taking to a Pepboys with 30+ year old equipment and some stupid kid with a crow bar. I guess I should have asked a slightly different question like, "Has anyone had experience with a plasti-dipped wheel and a Hunter touchless machine?" I'm ordering tires sometime this week and probably installing sometime next week. We'll see how it goes.

Not bashing anything here, just saying the dip will tear when the tires come off and on, that's all.
It should limit itself to the very edge and wouldn't take much to touch up.

It only takes a fingernail scratch to start to ruin the plasti-dip, even with any amount of rim protection, the friction alone when the bead breaker goes in, is going to start tearing away at it.

Like G say's, just touch it up afterwards or just peel the whole wheels and reshoot afterwards.

fingernail ruining PD ay... sounds like you might need a trip to the groomer

... have at least a laugh that I half choked on a handful of Multigrain Tortilla chips while typing this.

so close!!!

Go run with scissors somewhere!

Hey BTW, you spraying yours next week ?

Still can't talk you out of doing the whole car huh ?

Arrived yesterday (shhh)

20130528_164214_zps664b4e9b.jpg

20130528_164214_zps664b4e9b.jpg

oh oh ... you chose pink w/ glossifier? are you fn nuts ? lol
Even though you'd like me to die while eating chips, I wish you all the dipping best Bro!

oh oh ... you chose pink w/ glossifier? are you fn nuts ? lol
Even though you'd like me to die while eating chips, I wish you all the dipping best Bro!

you know it...

Thanks.. we'll see how it goes... It'll be a learning process im sure. so my expectations aren't too high for the first one... I'll start a thread when done.

I had hoped to be able to Dip mine in May but I am still doing bodywork on it because the weather the last two months has been terrible. We have been having a cold wet spring. :mad: A complete opposite of our spring last year. It has REALLY been slowing done my progress since I don't have a garage.

Planned on starting tomorrow. But half the shipment was damaged. Couple more gallons plus some extra stuff shipping today.

Planned on starting tomorrow. But half the shipment was damaged. Couple more gallons plus some extra stuff shipping today.

Plan to be finish for the meet? No excuses. You better show up damn it. I don't care if you only get half the LS. You better show up bro.

Members online

Back