Manual Conversion --- Next Project

dwiggy

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
In case anyone is interested in the LS 302...

It's been a good runner but not very practical in the long run.

Here's my next project.

photo.jpg

This is a mockup of the 2004 LS engine and a t5 transmission. I cut the bell off of the factory LS transmission.

It's just a start but it won't be as hard as converting to a 302 I assume.

photo.jpg

One of the very few guys who's actually gone thru with a project (LS 302). I salute you my friend.

No doubt you'll see this one thru as well. Can't wait.

Whats the full deal behind your first post? Next is the 302 being takin out and just a stock 3.9 put back in but with a stick? Also we would blow the heck out of T5's behind Mustang 225HP 5.0 in 3000 lb cars. But driven like girl it can live.

think you'll be able to do it without one-off pieces?

The bellhousing is going to be one-off.

I have a flywheel off of a Vantage 4.3 v8 that takes a 267mm (10.5") clutch disk (1986-1998 Mustang size). These can be picked for about 300 converted to dollars. New they are about 500 dollars after shipping.

The 302 pilot bearing fits into the back of the LS crank perfectly.

Aston pressure plates are more expensive than the flywheels but I have discovered that a 4x4 Land Rover Defender pressure plate has the same dimensions for about 125 dollars.

Everyone knows that you can build a t5 to handle over 500 lb-ft by changing the gears. Plus, you have to start somewhere, right? I had an extra t5 in the garage.:yourock:

The bellhousing is going to be one-off.

I have a flywheel off of a Vantage 4.3 v8 that takes a 267mm (10.5") clutch disk (1986-1998 Mustang size). These can be picked for about 300 converted to dollars. New they are about 500 dollars after shipping.

The 302 pilot bearing fits into the back of the LS crank perfectly.

Aston pressure plates are more expensive than the flywheels but I have discovered that a 4x4 Land Rover Defender pressure plate has the same dimensions for about 125 dollars.

Everyone knows that you can build a t5 to handle over 500 lb-ft by changing the gears. Plus, you have to start somewhere, right? I had an extra t5 in the garage.:yourock:
True but they cost big money. Will be cheaper in long run to use a mustang 3650 and be done since it will handle it . Wondering about the other ?'s I asked?

True but they cost big money. Will be cheaper in long run to use a mustang 3650 and be done since it will handle it . Wondering about the other ?'s I asked?

Nope. It will not be cheaper and you will have to mod the bell.

t5 gear upgrades can cost as low as 1300 dollars and that is is a steal for a strong transmission.

Other (actual) options are of the t56 variety.

There is a company in the UK attempting to put together the full manual kit for Jaguar XKR's with a magnum t56. They have their own bell.

You could get a t56 out of a CTS-v and use XKR Conversions bell and have a pretty close fit out of the box. This will probably run you around 2k just to source the transmission and bell.

My cost so far is 0$. I had the transmission and I cut the bell housing off of the 5r55s. To strengthen the transmission I will spend; 1300 + 0 = 1300 dollars.

I know I'm a smart ass.

This smart ass loves to share his research with everyone, enjoy :)

Get rid of that weak thing hanging off the bellhousing and put a decent tranny on and you'll be ok. I managed to keep the T5 in my blown '93 stang alive by driving civil and running tires that'll break free before the gears do.

I did manage to shear the snap ring that holds 5th gear onto the mainshaft in my TT351 car at 120+

Nope. It will not be cheaper and you will have to mod the bell.

t5 gear upgrades can cost as low as 1300 dollars and that is is a steal for a strong transmission.

Other (actual) options are of the t56 variety.

There is a company in the UK attempting to put together the full manual kit for Jaguar XKR's with a magnum t56. They have their own bell.

You could get a t56 out of a CTS-v and use XKR Conversions bell and have a pretty close fit out of the box. This will probably run you around 2k just to source the transmission and bell.

My cost so far is 0$. I had the transmission and I cut the bell housing off of the 5r55s. To strengthen the transmission I will spend; 1300 + 0 = 1300 dollars.

I know I'm a smart ass.

This smart ass loves to share his research with everyone, enjoy :)

How is 1300 dollars just for gears then you have to do all the work cheaper then a 450 dollar 3650? This is what you need I got this one for free. Do the job right the first time.
094.jpg

You learn a lot about a person when they post links to their public photobucket account ;)

Whats the full deal behind your first post? Next is the 302 being takin out and just a stock 3.9 put back in but with a stick? Also we would blow the heck out of T5's behind Mustang 225HP 5.0 in 3000 lb cars. But driven like girl it can live.

Mine holds quite nicely at over 500 horse Mr. T5 Hater

Mine holds quite nicely at over 500 horse Mr. T5 Hater

Dude, I ran T-5 well into the 10's every 9 sec pass it would rip all the teeth off the gears. LOL I did Libertize mine thou so thats "stock" gears. T-5 is a great trans for what it is. Also what car is your T-5 in ,what weight, what 60 ft's and Ets? I sure hope to see 1.4X 60 ft's.

Dude, I ran T-5 well into the 10's every 9 sec pass it would rip all the teeth off the gears. LOL I did Libertize mine thou so thats "stock" gears. T-5 is a great trans for what it is. Also what car is your T-5 in ,what weight, what 60 ft's and Ets? I sure hope to see 1.4X 60 ft's.

Vortech'd HCI 95 Cobra..

But it doesn't go down the 1/4, it goes thru the twisties..

Slicks and 5000 RPM launches can kill about any trans, but the T-5 really isn't a bad trans by any means..

Not to mention the T3650's bellhousing is non-removable.

That is not really a problem. To the OP I'm not telling you in any way how to build your car. Its 100% yours. Just thought I'd throw some stuff out there.

Vortech'd HCI 95 Cobra..

But it doesn't go down the 1/4, it goes thru the twisties..

Slicks and 5000 RPM launches can kill about any trans, but the T-5 really isn't a bad trans by any means..

My T-5's never had problem launching @5000+ and slicks it was 2nd and 3rd gear that would rip off. I just don't know how much you guys can really be beating on your t-5's to not be killing them. We where killing them all the time in 87-93 stangs but we drove them HARD. Like I mentioned T5 is a real nice trans for what is was made to handle.

That is not really a problem. To the OP I'm not telling you in any way how to build your car. Its 100% yours. Just thought I'd throw some stuff out there.

I found some Mustang transmissions that were really nice. Even a t45 out of the box can handle 400 lb-ft. I thought about this because I have a t45.

For those of you who are familiar with my 302 build you know that I am running a t5 out of a 2007 v6 Mustang. This version of the t5 has a built-in hydraulic clutch, remote mount shifter, and bolt on driveshaft flange.

The gear ratios in the Mustang v6 t5 are somewhat low from the factory and work well with the LS' weight. The sacrifice is strength. This transmission can only handle about 275lb-ft.

Here is a good t5 build article from MMFF:
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.c...1993_ford_svt_cobra_transmission/viewall.html

G-Force also makes gear kits for about 1600 dollars.

For general use, the five speed transmission will hold up. I like that some of the viewers have experience with t5 transmissions in 10 second cars and in drag racers. That kind of information is very useful when mentioning the types of scendarios that break manual transmissions.

Bottom line here is the dollars and time. I have a t5 in my car already and I'm going to a smaller engine.

^
+1

Why was it "not pratical"? You said on the hwy, it got over 26 mpgs..... Plus you got it in there and running.. Just wondering is all..

Btw, great work with both projects!

Just to add information..... My 71 Mustang blew through 26 auto transmissions in a year period. I had converted it to AOD and my modified 351 seemed to eat them for breakfast. In 2005 I installed a WC T5 with a heavy duty clutch. I have had to replace the throwout bearing and the shift cable, but the trans (only rated to 265HP lol) has been fine.

sheesh. you need a better trans guy. a good AOD should hold a 351 no problem.
done correctly 500 or 600 hp shouldn't be an issue.

Members online

Back