Best way to black-out chrome?

sprocket

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
This Diamond Anniversary I bought has a lot of the chrome blacked out, but the owner who did it used some kind of blackout tape and it doesn't look very good. Also, some of the chrome is not blacked out, including the grill.

My first plan was to remove the tape and replace any bad chrome, but I talked to a guy who knew the owner who blacked it out and apparently there is quite a bit of defects in the chrome. Also, the blacked out look is starting to grow on me. Now I like it!

I've already received the advice to paint all the chrome the color of the car, but I don't think I will go that route. I think matte black makes a good contrast to cordovan. Anyway, I'm getting long winded again so I'll get to the question:

What's the best way to black-out the chrome and not spend a ton doing it?

Agree plasti dip all parts in matte black. That's my plan in about another month is to plasti dip my whole car and do very little chrome on my mark.

I'm going for roughly 6 to 8 coats. So no zebra stripes and better for when I'm on the road so much.

Agree plasti dip all parts in matte black. That's my plan in about another month is to plasti dip my whole car and do very little chrome on my mark.

I've never heard of this. Is it cheaper than paint?

Thanks for the advice. I've seen these videos before and they had a special paint gun.

I have a couple of Wagner power painters and I have a fine spray nozzle. Would that work?

Just plasti dip it. It's not permanent, you don't gotta sand anything down. All you gotta do is tape off what you don't want sprayed and then spray what you do want sprayed. Make sure you do atleast 4 coats so you can peel it off easily if you ever want to.

Members online

Back