Oil down in the spark plug wells

JaysLS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My mechanic over at Landmark Lincoln says I have oil down in the spark plug wells and that it will cost about $700 to fix it. He says he will reseal something, (don't know), but I was wondering how big of a job this is really?

How many of you have done this? I have a 2004 LS V8 and I know this has been a problem with the car. I was thinking that maybe I can get a buddy (who's a mechanic) and we could do this. If it's just replacing valve cover and other gaskets, then why not?

Also, at this time I will replace all 8 plugs, coils, EGR valve, oxygen sensors and mass air flow sensor. Possibility the two camshaft position sensors and crankshaft position sensor.

Your thought?

Get with your buddy and change the vcg's along with the other items you have listed.

This is a common issue. New Valve cover Gaskets and O rings will fix you right up. And if you do the work yourself all the work should be under 200 bucks. Also you might as well do plugs and coils while you are at it!

I guess my question is how difficult of a job is this?

I would change the VCGs as well as the plugs and coils. Wait on the other stuff to see how the car does after the coils are replaced. If you are getting CELs related to other stuff they may clear up with new coils and dry plug wells.

CEL=Check Engine Light

VCG = Valve Cover Gasket.

If you have to ask, you need someone who's done it before helping you.

I can't really agree with that. If you've got the tools, you can easily follow the repair manual to replace the VCGs. It's very easy and pretty straight-forward.

This is why I'm asking, I'm not a mechanic. And yes, the vcg is a pretty darn important part of this so I've planned on that too. That was included in the $700 quote from the dealership.

Is this a job requiring special skills? Of course I couldn't do it, but can most mechanics do it? Or does the Lincoln LS require a special mechanic like Steve is over at Landmark?

Along with fixing this problem, I figured it would be a great time for the tune-up, which is why I'm replacing the above listed parts. But are there any other parts I should replace that I'm not thinking of? Thanks

My bad man. I should have said it the way needed it too. Keep us posted once you get it resolved.

The drivers side is a little more tricky.

It's definitely more time consuming but I still wouldn't consider it to be very difficult. With a little patience it can be done by someone without much mechanical experience.

If you're looking for parts to replace for reliability, I'd suggest getting the cooling system plastic replaced since it seems that on these cars microcracks will cause air to get in, causing all sorts of problems later. Car's going to be down for a bit anyway, may as well if you're keeping it for a long time. Cold weather's harder on the cooling system than hot weather anyway, since there's a larger temp differential between engine cold and engine hot and plastic doesn't like the more extreme temp changes.

The hardest part of the job is separating the fuel line on the drivers side. Even that's not hard if you have the right tool

I thought 03-05 covered the coils. Which he said he wanted to do.

I'm sure there is a difference between "wanting" to change something and "needing" to change something when it comes to warranty.

You cant just go to the dealer and say to change them because they are under warranty if they aren't bad yet.

Members online

No members online now.
Back