Taking the Ls to the track for the 1st time

:) Any tips?

Mmmmm... Drag or Road track?

And there's been a few threads on here before. Assuming it's a drag track, just learn how to power-break for launch and work the SST if you got it. Like Stromberg said, just avoid the water box and launch on the third yellow. If for some really weird and odd reason you get stuck with a pro-tree then god help ya :)

Be damn sure battery is held down, suspension/wheel hubs are good, and tires are not cut/punctured and properly inflated (can go down a few pounds in rear and up a few in front if you like)
Pay close attention to how the pre-stage and stage lights work before your runs
Might wanna program locks not to lock when putting into drive in case you need to "exit" quickly (and rescuers can get to you) unlock doors before run
Make sure your belt is clicked and the windows/sunroof are closed
Turn off distracting things like HVAC and radio
Make sure helmet is tight
Pay close attention to starter and follow his commands for lane/burnout
Watch runs right before you to make sure no one spills oil and starter doesn't see, etc.
On street tires, only do short burnout NOT IN WATER to clean off treads; don't go nuts, John Force-like
Roll into the beams slowly to trip pre-stage, creep forward till stage is lit
Resist urge to look at car next to you; concentrate on your lights
Car next to you will probably be louder; concentrate on your lights
As long as only a squeak of wheelspin at start, keep your foot in it
Car next to you will probably be faster; concentrate on keeping it straight
Remember to keep gas planted through traps/where scoreboard is; many data programs see a dropoff in TPS voltage: unconsciously people slightly lift
If you start to go sideways/lose control, GET OUT OF GAS AND GET IT STRAIGHTENED OUT. THE RUN IS OVER
For God's sake, hit the brakes after the run. There is a sandtrap at the end of the track (hopefully) and you don't want to drive into it
If you want, turn on high heat to get heat out of engine, roll down windows, watch for other cars turning off/driving back to pits
Get timeslip from timing shack, park it, check your timeslip, and make mental notes of how to improve on next run (more/less gas at start (watch tach if you like), higher/lower shift points, etc
Don't run stereo/HVAC fans, etc. too long or battery will die in pits
Have fun
BE SAFE!

Last edited:
That just about covers it. When brake standing, these cars don't respond well to massive throttle. 1000-1200 RPM seems to be the sweet spot. Let off the brake quickly when the last yellow lights up, and at the same time, ease swiftly into the throttle fully and plant it there for about 15 seconds. Don't worry if you don't have SST; I don't and can still manually change gears. My car actually chirped the tires with manual shifts stock. My brother's '00 with SST was too slow to shift. Make sure to shift as late as you can, but in time so that you don't bounce off whatever your rev limiter is.

Since you're still likely running the stock open diff, you'll do one tire fires so no need to get too worried about getting sideways. Go around the water pit then back up near it. Turn the wheel slightly right to spin the right rear clean and then left to get the left rear to spin. Don't scare the :q:q:q:q out of the starter while doing it.

Clean all unneeded crap out of your car. They will look in your trunk to make sure the battery is secure.

Thanks for the all the tips
I have 05 LS with K&N intake and Magnaflow Exhaust system
So I'll be using the SST

Post up the times. Curious to know what you end up with...

My buddy ran his 06 at the track few days ago and he hit 14.6 i think.

2.106 is my fastest 60' (BFGoodrich g-force super sport a/s 245 45 17's @ 20psi and open differential), and it was hard to do (nitrous not a factor at that point).

2.2-2.3 is typical. I think NYC got 2.2XX on his run

Just drag race them around a few turns. You might be surprised at how well you do :D

LOL

The LS really doesn't have enough power or the right set-up to get squirrely on a drag track. Just make sure your tries and brakes are in good condition, and make small gentle adjustments to go straight. Don't whip it around or you might eat the wall.

I'd work on optimizing your launch by learning how to power-brake and reading the tree, and then figure out how to shift so the gears change when you want it to. For me with SST that's about half a second prior to my shift point.

Off (it will have to be off to spin the tires clean after you drive around the water pit). You get the most traction right when the tires start to spin. A little squealing is desirable. Anything more than that will waste time.

2.295 like a BOSS :lol:

I loved your car and was sad to see you sell it being one of the few track guys on here. There's your 14.3 right there if you could have got that thing launched. I know gen 2 drive by wire is even trickier though. Chalk a win up for gen 1 there! Almost entirely negates the extra 28 HP from VVT.

Off (it will have to be off to spin the tires clean after you drive around the water pit). You get the most traction right when the tires start to spin. A little squealing is desirable. Anything more than that will waste time.

Yup, as it was explained to me a long time ago by an old hot-rodder: The tires should be talking to you if you are doing it right, but they shouldn't be saying much.

snoozing at the tree:confused: or maybe they started in 2nd? My best r/t was .005s. I creep into the stage light so I'm further back then let off the brake as the second to last yellow turns off. If you don't red light once in a while, you're doing it wrong:D

Well, if there was a way other than nitrous to make the car go faster that didn't involve making custom parts, I might have kept it. Still, though..I kinda got over the whole track thing. Got burned out with my 87 LSC. I took the SRT8 to the track once. lol

Well, if there was a way other than nitrous to make the car go faster that didn't involve making custom parts, I might have kept it. Still, though..I kinda got over the whole track thing. Got burned out with my 87 LSC. I took the SRT8 to the track once. lol

It's funner when you have to turn, preferably RIGHT and left, and also use the brakes :)

It's funner when you have to turn, preferably RIGHT and left, and also use the brakes :)

Hundred percent!
I will never get drag racing - just too damn boring.
And, it's not even about the car, it's about who can dump the most money into their car to make em go fast. What's even even worse, all that just for a 1/4 mile.....waste of time!

1/4 mile racing great when you see improvements to your car based on the modifications you make. Very satisfying in that regard. It's also a sport, working on your reaction times and launching the car, adjusting the dial in based on track conditions and previous runs.

Members online

No members online now.
Back