yup, more of the air ride problem.

kingairpilot

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
93 mark here, thanks to those with the info on my fuel pump question. This car has sat for the last 5-6 years due to the d----d air ride. After seeing this site and others I apparently have a rare color. Nordic blue. So I have decided to try and resurrect this car. Course, needs some work, grille, etc. I put a compressor, relay and front struts/bags in it in 2004. It went about 6 mos and problems. Sits till now. Yesterday, I pulled the compressor assy out, unplugged and plugged it in and the thing ran. Lifted the car up and stayed up all night. (switch was off). I had it on jackstands to work on it,( all 4 wheels) so the car thought that it was on the ground. Removed it from stands, it vented down some. Drove it about 10 miles. Runs strong, shifts perfect. Never pumped up. Ride message present. The compressor has tried to run but won't run long enough to pump the car up. Any ideas? thanks in advance.

I have no clue what type of bags you used to replace but if they were Arnott, that is your main problem, even if they were new. The compressor is only going to run for 90 seconds before timing out and if the bags are leaking bad enough to not fill up, then you might need new bags. OEM is high $$ but worth it. Sometimes you can find good ones on ebay for cheap until you can get newer ones.

If you think the compressor is the problem, order one from Eddie at American Air and then send yours back to him for the core. It's been 6 years since you replaced this stuff and a lot has changed since then. BTW, 98 year air bags will fit on the front of your 93 just in case you find some on ebay or elsewhere.

I have no clue what type of bags you used to replace but if they were Arnott, that is your main problem, even if they were new. The compressor is only going to run for 90 seconds before timing out and if the bags are leaking bad enough to not fill up, then you might need new bags. OEM is high $$ but worth it. Sometimes you can find good ones on ebay for cheap until you can get newer ones.

If you think the compressor is the problem, order one from Eddie at American Air and then send yours back to him for the core. It's been 6 years since you replaced this stuff and a lot has changed since then. BTW, 98 year air bags will fit on the front of your 93 just in case you find some on ebay or elsewhere.

are crap as far as bags go .

Well, in looking at various websites it is written that nordic blue with aquamarine interior is rare. I didn't write it, just read it. Thanks to those of you with helpful information who post here to help us learn and get our cars to be better.

There are a couple blue on blue 93's here. I didnt like them too much before but Sapperfires has grown on my. Wish he would ditch those dang seat covers though! :lol:

Anyway, check all the bags for any cracks AT ALL NO MATTER HOW SMALL. And yeah, Arnotts suck. My 98 has all new OEM bags in it cause they lasted 11 years and its nice to know I dont have to worry about them for another decade.

i agree with nolimit comp shuts off after 90 sec. pump it up shut the air ride off (in trunk, this will throw a message, just ignore it for now) if the front isnt down in a day or two after driving it just sounds like a weak compressor

yes, they are Arnott. got a call from a guy that has all four bags from a 98 for $75. Is that a good deal as long as they are not "Arnott" how can you tell if they are? My 93 is rough but they don't make em anymore, eh!

yes, they are Arnott. got a call from a guy that has all four bags from a 98 for $75. Is that a good deal as long as they are not "Arnott" how can you tell if they are? My 93 is rough but they don't make em anymore, eh!

If they don't leak, I'd pay it. I have 98's on my 95 in the front and they work perfect. I would put the fronts on first and then see what you have. How many miles are on the 98 bags?

I had 2 new Arnot fronts installed last week, sofar working as advertised. Had the Check Air ride come on 3 days later, but it was the left solonoid not making a good connection.
The newer Arnots have the stainless steel button on top, the older ones are all black.

I want to keep my air ride and want to keep everything oem, but could not pay the big bucks for the fronts, did not want to mess with used struts also.

There are a couple blue on blue 93's here. I didnt like them too much before but Sapperfires has grown on my. Wish he would ditch those dang seat covers though! :lol:

Anyway, check all the bags for any cracks AT ALL NO MATTER HOW SMALL. And yeah, Arnotts suck. My 98 has all new OEM bags in it cause they lasted 11 years and its nice to know I dont have to worry about them for another decade.

I'll take my seat covers off when your ass starts sewing me some new ones...and I don't want leather, I wear shorts,burns my legs

KingAir-I wouldn't waste my time on units with that much mileage as the bags are already into dry rot mode plus the mechanical shock portion is very well used. Any time you jack the car up you should turn off the air ride switch. You said it vented some when you let it down, it may be that it vented down a lot further than normal. It can take up to 3 complete cycles to fill the bags. One other item to check out is see if possibly the sensors have been damaged or out of range. If you go to American Air's web site they do have some self help there. This is the top site for all your air ride needs-get his Spider Valve if you are looking to keep the car as it replaces the in compressor venting which is the culprit with compressor failure.

naw man you dont want to convert to coils.....the Marks air suspension is awsome after you get it all sort out. You can sensor adjust the suspension via the sensors. Its great and its not that expensive to maintain. Right now I just got me a front pair of airbags for 150 bucks and no issues yet. What I do is whenever I have a chance I armorall them to keep them moist. I love the air suspension theres nothing like it.

thanks, I want to keep the factory air ride as well. Yesterday the compressor would act like it wanted to run but just a few quick vibrations after it initially ran for about 15 seconds. i dunno.

Members online

No members online now.
Back