Your thoughs

Jeffintampa

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I think I want to start looking for a continental or a town car, what the ups and downs that any one of you know.

I just take that 2000 trip every summer home, and am getting older lol I think a Black on Back continental setting next to my Mark would look Sick,,,Just wondering if one or the other is a pain to take care of.

Other than very similar quirks to a M8, a continental would be my choice. But a town car would be much simpler to maintain, imo. Its also on a very very common chassis, what I mean is most parts cars and stuff for the town car will probably be much newer than a conti.

Avoid the Continental.
I know there will defenders, and others will say that they fixed all the problems by the end, but I've heard nothing but problems regarding the Continentals. All the Ford Techs I know do nothing but complain about the air ride system on them.

The Town Car is a rock solid though.
It should be, Ford's been building the body on frame dinosaur for about 30 years now.

Go with the Town Car. I've had three. An '80 with a 351-W, and an '86 and '88. Both with the anemic 302. But they were absolutely wonderful cars. Virtually no problems to speak of and rode like...well...Lincolns! The handling left much to be desired, but what do you expect? It was built for old folks. But I loved them! And best of all, they were Rear-Wheel-Drive!!!!!! Any Connie after '88 I think, are wrong-wheel-drive. Stay far away from them.

I would go with a town car. The continental is not an easy car to work on with the transversely mounted v8.

I had an '80,'84,'91, and a '97. The '97 by far was the best. I drove it twice a year from Ft. Lauderdale to New Jersey. It never asked for anything. Plenty of power, 26 MPG @70. Just a great riding reliable car. Get a '96 or '97 Town Car. You won't be sorry!

All the Ford Techs I know do nothing but complain about the air ride system on them.

The Town Car is a rock solid though.
It should be, Ford's been building the body on frame dinosaur for about 30 years now.
no more problems than the 8 from what ive seen. i say its biggest downfall is a oddball transaxle that can get expensive quick
A town car would be the car of my choice. Very roomy, and you stay RWD.

+3 err 4, hell whatever number i am rwd tank ftw!! alot of the same parts as the vic so they should be available for a while still

I made my parents buy a conti back in the day and it was very good to them
but I would only by the Town Car my cars NEED to be RWD or maybe AWD.
I am on my second Town car and would love to get a 03 plus with all the upgrades.

Ok with that being said what town car is the best model I looked and there are a few different models
Executive etc

Members online

No members online now.
Back