You guy will love this!

NateRW21

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So driving my LS to work Friday, it went into forced idle: ETC engine failure. So I had it towed to the Lincoln Dealership here in Lansing as my code reader will not read the new CAN systems. Well, sure enough; comes back as the throttle body. But here's the kicker; they tried telling me that it was caused by my K&N CAI! I opted not to argue the fact, but their explanation was that the increased air intake cause the throttle body to fail. I used to be a mechanic and actually have ASE certs, but arguing wouldn't get my anywhere, so I just asked "how much?" He comes back with around $650; I ask how much of that is labor and he says $350!!! I'm not really sure where he's getting his figures from because I know for a fact that doesn't book at 4-5 hours. Either way, looks like I'm having it towed home (insurance covered the first tow) and doing the work myself! I just thought some of you might think this funny!

Oh, almost forgot... The funny thing is, no MAF related codes; if you're going to blame something on a CAI with oiled filter, MAF is the best you can do; not TB

The tech says "these engines, running this new engine management can't accept any changes at all" I didn't say it, but I was sure thinking, "then why is it the 05+ mustang works so well with mods?"

And to boot... The tech saw my C.A.R.B sticker for the K&N and asked if that was an identification of a custom tune!! What kind of tech doesn't know what a C.A.R.B. Expemption sticker is?!?!?!

Amazing....

worse yet - most of the time it's not the TB - but a misfire on coil #4 the messes with the drive-by-wire and throws this situation into a spin - several LS owners have been down this exact path....

I recommend you contact K&N. They love to handle this kind of crap from dealers. They will get the bad part and test it at no cost to you and then make an example out of the stupid dealership.

Yeah, that's complete BS. If you over-oil the K&N filter, it could kill the MAF, but I don't see any way it could cause the throttle to fail. One of the more obscure causes for the ETC failure is a bad coil #4--it's close enough to the PCM that it can generate RF interference that can affect the PCM, and an ETC code is a false code it'll throw.

BTW, according to AllData, the book rate for replacing the throttle body is 30 minutes (36 minutes if you're not a factory-trained mechanic).

Edit: Dang, you've got to be quick on the trigger around here. :D

I recommend you contact K&N. They love to handle this kind of crap from dealers. They will get the bad part and test it at no cost to you and then make an example out of the stupid dealership.

+1

worse yet - most of the time it's not the TB - but a misfire on coil #4 the messes with the drive-by-wire and throws this situation into a spin - several LS owners have been down this exact path....

+1 been there done that, also if it's throwing a TPS code and not the throttle body itself the dealer can NOW REPLACE THE TPS AS A SEPARATE PART. Make sure they research that. Also, make sure you pick the car up while the dealership is still open. If it is the #4 coil issue, your car will go back into ETC failsafe mode on the way home....

Well, unfortunately (or fortunately, when concerning my own vehicles), I've yet to deal with this particular situation. Let me get the codes the dealer pulled (there were a handful) and those of you that have been in this situation before can tell me if it sounds like your coil #4 problem.

As I recall, virtually ever code TB related came up; but I'll get the exact codes when I have the car towed home.

Members online

No members online now.
Back