Yet another ETC Engine Failsafe Mode thread

techstudio

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Sooo, long time stalker on the forums. Been searching till I'm ready to pull my hair out.

Been dealing with ETC Engine Failsafe Mode on and off for about a year. Changed plugs and coils and issues went away. Fast forward to now. Drove about one mile and the LS went into limp mode. Idle at 400rpm and gas pedal might as well be removed and tossed in the trunk. Pushed it back home.
Swapped out coil in #4 with brand new Motorcraft. All plugs changed and gapped correctly. Put in a brand spanking new battery.
Now it won't even start.
Turn the key to acc and I hear the fuel pump kick on. Immediately get the messages "ETC Engine Failsafe Mode" and "Service Parking Brake". Try to start the car, and it turns over, and either does nothing but keep cranking or sometimes it will rev to about 100-200rpm and immediately die.

I don't recall the exact codes I pulled, but I know one was for the etc engine Failsafe Mode, throttle position sensor, throttle actuator forced limited power.

My last ideas are putting in new throttle body ($$$), new accelerator pedal (also $$$), and new PCM (again, $$$).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

--edit
2004 LS V8 154k, dccv was replaced about 6 months ago.
Overheated last week when coolant crossover split. Has since been fixed and ran fine before today.

Last edited:
What was the reasoning for the new PCM before? A lot of variables here.

Have you done a look over of the harness / wiring, corrosion on fuses or grounds?

What was the reasoning for the new PCM before? A lot of variables here.

Have you done a look over of the harness / wiring, corrosion on fuses or grounds?

Checked wiring
Checked fuses
Checked grounds

All are good and show continuity

She lives!

It was a faulty throttle position sensor.

Swapped it out, started up, and instantly no more codes and purring nicely.

Members online

No members online now.
Back