Yet another addition to the mark :)

Nitrobasher

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I bought a LMS MAF about 9 months ago, and ever since then I've had a CE light.

Geno told me it was my stock fuel pump on its last legs, so tonight I finally ordrd a new one.

BBk electric internal 255lph Fuel pump for a 96-98 Cobra.

I believe that is what is needed if not please lmk ASAP,

So Ive searched but couldnt find anything onthis topic, From my timeslips it looks like im lackin on the topend, so I guess this should help out a little.

Will i notice any gains because of a higher lph? thanks guys:D

No you have a 2nd gen you need a variable voltage pump like the SVT focus pump.

Is the focus a return or returnless? I only ask because when I changed the pump in my 98 the first time, we put the wrong pump in there. It was for a 98.5 and up returnless cobra. Within 300 miles that pump was toast.

check out the tech pages, on the fuel pump installation it calls forr a 96-98 cobra replacement unit? is this not right?

I bought a LMS MAF about 9 months ago, and ever since then I've had a CE light.

Ok, so wait....you changed out your stock MAF for an aftermarket one and you've had a constant CE light since. Might wanna change your trans fluid and rear diff fluid too. Adjust the muffler bearings while you're at it. :rolleyes:

Why do you listed to somebody instead of a check engine scanner ? Amazing ...

Werd.

wow you guys are so fn smart, really honestly i wish i had half the brains of you?!

I did check the scanner and it said car is running lean, and geno said that was an indication of a fuel pump going out. next time you feeling like whoring/putting me down, be sure you know what the hell ur talking about

You're CEL is because of the C&L mass air which is causing your car to run lean. Many people have got the CEL after installing the C&L meter. The fuel pump is probably fine.

Why do you listed to somebody instead of a check engine scanner ? Amazing ...

Thank you Jeremi...

next time you feeling like whoring/putting me down, be sure you know what the hell ur talking about

He does know what he is talking about. And has been around these cars for ALOT longer than most of us on this forum.

You're CEL is because of the C&L mass air which is causing your car to run lean. Many people have got the CEL after installing the C&L meter. The fuel pump is probably fine.

Correct.

So I finally put it in today, and it was not as bad as i thought it would be. It took two of us, minus an arm for me (broken collar bone)

took us about 4 hours to fully unbolt and rebolt everything, if we had to do it again id say just over 2.

Needless to say Im not going to be pulling the tank any time soon. But the first time that I turned the key over and heard the loud hiss of that fuel pump I was in love! I love the sound of it, it makes the car sound faster then it actually is, lol

You put a Walbro in your gen 2? Not a good move in my opinion... should have went with the svt focus pump...

The gen 2 has the same fuel system setup as a 98 Cobra... ask around on the corral they will tell you never to run a Walbro in a 98 Cobra, it won't last long.

Actually, if we want to get technical, it has a similar fuel system as the 96-98.5 Cobras. The 98.5 and up are Returnless.

That fuel pump will do him just fine. I ran the same walbro pump in a Supercoupe for a long time. And I have about 20K miles on that pump on my 98. The Walbros for the 98.5 and up Cobras will not live long. About 400 miles tops, because those ARE a truly variable voltage pump.

thanks for clearin that up frogman, I got kinda scared for a second, that would be a huge PITA, if I had to go back under there

Actually the 96/97 Cobra setup is the same as the 93-96 Mark VIII. The 98 Cobra is a bastard return system with variable voltage same as gen 2 Mark VIII. If you are using a pump made for the 96-97 Cobra, it will not last long. Go to supercoupeperformance.com, they sell a completely different Walbro pump for the gen 2's, i'm not sure if it works as good as an SVT Focus pump but it is definitely better than a 96-97 Cobra Walbro pump. I have nothing against Walbro fuel pumps, I had a Walbro 255 in my 95 LSC but I would never put the same pump in my 98 LSC.

Actually the CE has been off for about 5 days now, My battery was unplugged for about 3 hours, and when I hooked it back up it was gone?

So who knows?!

I could come back being that you just cleared the memory by cutting the power

So the car's CE hasnt came on yet, I went up to autozone to check it for codes, nothing came up, its been quiet a while so Im guessin it worked out fine.

Geno- 1
Haters- 0

Members online

No members online now.
Back