YAY - another throttle issue!!

WackyWRZ

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I am hoping to get some advice on the wife's "trusty" 'ol LS. Here's a little bit of backstory:

It's an 06 LS 3.9 with about 70K miles. Last summer we were getting the dreaded ETC failsafe mode and the car would not move at all. After using my scanner with live data I determined that the A/B of the TPS were not correlating. I replaced the the TPS and it was great until the fall. The 'ol ETC failsafe mode came up yet again, but the car was driveable (albeit at a slow speed). With all of the research about the coilpacks I replaced all 8 plugs and coils and it has been running just fine until last week.

Last week the check engine light came on while the wife was on her way to work, with no other symptoms. She drove it home with the light on all the way, with no other symptoms still. As soon as I got home I grabbed my code scanner and started the car where I was greeted with the lovely beeping coupled with ETC Failsafe and Service Parking Brake. I am getting codes P2100, P2107, and P2110 - with zero throttle response from the pedal. I have tried clearing the codes and even disconnecting the battery to no avail. One thing that I can note is that if I clear out everything, and turn the key on (without starting the car even) I am getting ETC failsafe. In digging deeper, I pulled off the throttle boot and have tried watching the throttle blade. I seem to remember (could be wrong) that as soon as you turned the key on, that the throttle blade would "bounce" a few times as sort of a self test - which it is not doing at all now. If this is the case, I am thinking that the throttle body may have bit the dust here.

Are there any tests that I can do on the throttle body itself or the harness going to it that would help me verify that it is the throttle body that is bad? Am I correct in assuming that I probably don't have another bad coil since the ETC is coming up without even attempting to start the car? I would think that there would be no voltage applied to the coils at key on engine off, so they wouldn't be generating any RF noise at that time.

I appreciate any insight that anyone has to offer with this issue! I also apologize for the lengthy post, but I figured it's best to start with what has been done already!

I was only on line last night and came across many owners "complaints' about such a thing. It is your throttle body that is the problem. Throttle actuator and position sensor are all attached to it.You might get away with replacing just the actuator but a whole TB may be what's needed. Just search "06 Lincoln LS complaints" and there are many similar probs out there.

Just search "06 Lincoln LS complaints" and there are many similar probs out there.

This is what I wished we would have done 4 years ago before buying it. It has been just one thing after another with it - to the point that we were actually taking about trading it in... It must have sensed it and decided to give us hell!

I found that just a throttle body motor (Dorman 911-102) is available for about $50, but is only listed for the V6 models. I may try to pull the old motor off tomorrow and see if one of the parts stores has one in stock to compare to. Looking at the few pictures I can find they sure do look the same. But I'm guessing there will be some small thing that makes it not compatible.

Thanks to the LVC forums and jwct7 I am back in business! I knew about the throttle bodies being problematic, and knew that often times people had to replace them - but I did not even think of trying to look for the throttle motor by itself. I ordered a new motor from AAP and picked it up this morning. I could find no difference looking at them side - by - side. All the mounting holes lined right up, plug matched, and the motor gear is the same diameter / has the same number of teeth as the old. The Dorman part comes with instructions and a special tool for you to install / retention the internal throttle return spring as well. As soon as I turned the key on I could hear the throttle plate moving and I had no ETC fail-safe mode. Fired right up and after clearing the codes we are CEL free!

The part for this motor is a 911-102 and retails for about $60. Using the Advance coupon codes that are readily available I got it for about $40. I am UNSURE as to why this motor is not specifically listed to fit the 3.9 LS, but it worked on mine and saved me hundreds of dollars. Its extremely easy to replace - 5x torx screws and a wire connection. Word of advise would be to also give the gears inside a good look-over. The motor gear is metal, but all the other gears in the throttle body are plastic. My gears didn't seem to have any obvious signs of wear on them fortunately.

Me being the curious type I decided to dissect the old motor to find the point of failure. After taking the metal exterior motor cover off I found a brushed motor and the failure was pretty obvious. Moisture got in to the motor and due to the angle of how the assembly mounts it pooled on the bottom brush. It destroyed the lead going to the bottom brush and had started eating at the motor windings. The other brush at the top was not corroded, but the brush spring was pretty rusty and the brush was not very free moving at all. I will attach pictures to show the damage.

Hopefully this helps someone else out down the road!

IMAG0018.jpgIMAG0020.jpgIMAG0021.jpgIMAG0022.jpg

IMAG0018.jpg

IMAG0020.jpg

IMAG0021.jpg

IMAG0022.jpg

Happy for you that you got it solved on the cheap. I suspect many others will, one day. Glad to be of help.

Members online

No members online now.
Back