XM Radio Power

paddy O

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I received a Roady 2 for Christmas and have ordered the PIE Adaptor to use with my non-nav premium sound system. When I install the PIE I plan on tapping into the stereos power so that I dont have the cigartte adaptor plugged in all the time. Has anyone done this and any suggestions since the roady2 plug goes from a 12v to a 6v connection.

Take out a volt meter and check for the wire with no power with car off, but has power when key is in acc or on. When I hooked up an amp, I think the color was orange, even though it is yellow on aftermarket radios. To deal with the 12v to 6v drop, I would buy a car accessory outlet at radioshack, and hook it up to the ignition and ground wires. Then plug in the roady to the outlet and run the wires out from behind the dash.

If you have the Alpine 6-CD in-dash:

Stereo Wiring:

According to the FOMOCO wiring diagram for 2000-2002, the factory harness connectors are wired as follows:

The large 20-pin connector:
Position 5 and 6 = right rear (- white and + gray)
Position 12 and 13 = left rear (- whit/violet and + gray/white)
Position 7 and 8 = right front (- white/red and + gray/red)
Position 14 and 15 = left front (- white/black and + gray/black)

Constant power = position 9 (orange.black)
Switched hot in start = position 3 (gray/orange)
Switched hot in run or ACC = position 10 (yellow/green)
Ground = position 16 (black/green)

The 16-pin connector contains the connections to the steering wheel controls and various data bus signals. The cassette systems with external CD changer have a connector dedicated to the signal cable for the changer.

On audiophile systems, there is an 8-pin connector wired as follows:
position 1 = sub + line level signal (gray/red)
position 2 = sub - line level signal (white/red)
position 3 = shield for sub amp signal
position 4 = +12 remote power to sub amp (yellow/red)
position 5 = center channel - line level signal (gray)
position 6 = center channel + line level signal (white)
position 7 = shield for center channel signal
position 8 = +12 remote power to center channel amp (yellow)

The trunk connector (on the drivers side) is number C465 and the sub audio uses these pins:
1 = yellow/red: switched hot
3 = shield for low level audio signal
5 = red: constant power from battery junction box fuse F418 (20 amps)
7 = white/red: low level LEFT audio signal

8 = grey/red: low level RIGHT audio signal

yes, that is correct i have the alpine 6cd-in dash. what wires would you tie the two wires from the cigarette adaptor into then? also, would it be necessary to add a fuse after the splice if there is already a small one in the plug that came with the unit?

Splice into the yellow/green hot in acc position 10, and the black wire in position 16. Keep track of which wire is positive and negative on the oulet itself. The fuse of the roady plug will suffice.

thanks all for the help. i got it installed yesterday easilly until it was time to put all the wires back into the dash. there are some pictures in my garage.

It's never easy to cram the wiring mess back in, not sure why because it looks so roomy behind the radio.

paddy O said:
I received a Roady 2 for Christmas and have ordered the PIE Adaptor to use with my non-nav premium sound system. When I install the PIE I plan on tapping into the stereos power so that I dont have the cigartte adaptor plugged in all the time. Has anyone done this and any suggestions since the roady2 plug goes from a 12v to a 6v connection.

Where do you install your radio? I have a Sirius and can't find a place to mount it doesn't look bad or get in my way.

The best way (if you dont want to cut up your dash) is to purchase the metal bracket used for cell phone hands free kits. It mounts inside the dash between the radio and dash on the passenger side(No visible screws or double side tape).

The bracket places the satelite radio to the right side of the factory radio but it is high enough that it doesn't get in the passengers way.

You could probably find it on line, but I bought it from a local cell phone store for $25.

It looks alot cleaner than most installs I've seen.

I still want to cut my dash, but the old lady gets pissed when I pull out the dremmel. :bash:

Members online

No members online now.
Back