WTF! Window tint pulled over!

bigstick1973

LVC Member
Reaction score
i live in pa. my wife calls me today and says shes been pulled over because of windows are to dark. local rent a cop. works weekends had nothing better to do i guess. used some gauge/meter to check the tint. telles her she has 7 days to remove all the window tint or we will be sited. all 4 side windows and rear window.

im a little pissed. bought the car 2 months ago already tinted and state inspected. any thoughts on removal. if this cop wasnt local id just pay the fine and leave the tint. but he parks his ass right down the street every weekend.

Thats why you dont put illegal tint in the first place.

Take it to a shop, have them pull it off and put the legal limit on.

if youre really worried about it, i would just remove fronts, idk what that guy was smoking but AFAIK and from experience being pulled over in PA and NJ, there is no issue with having tints in the back windows.

i didnt have the windows tinted the owner b4 me did. he gave my wife a paper saying that on all passenger car after 1998 70% of the light that hits the window must pass through. on all windows in the car. if it were a truck or suv back and rear has no requirement. my windows by the cops test only let 55% of light pass through.

That sucks.

Im glad we can have very dark tint in texas.

Thats why you dont put illegal tint in the first place.

Take it to a shop, have them pull it off and put the legal limit on.
Legal tint is no tint in PA. That is just the risk you take with tinting, and if you get clipped for it you strip it and try again. They almost never harass you for it anyway unless you do something to piss them off...although it sounds like the OP was just unlucky.

if youre really worried about it, i would just remove fronts, idk what that guy was smoking but AFAIK and from experience being pulled over in PA and NJ, there is no issue with having tints in the back windows.
Nope, it's 70% light transmission on ALL windows if it is a car.

im a little pissed. bought the car 2 months ago already tinted and state inspected. any thoughts on removal. if this cop wasnt local id just pay the fine and leave the tint. but he parks his ass right down the street every weekend.
The yearly inspection does not cover window tint, so you can get away with it for as long as you can avoid being pulled over for it. For removal, if it is not worth it just to pay the fine, use simple green and trash bags to seal it up against the tint. Let it work long enough that the adhesive comes off with the tint and you will not have to scrape anything.

CA 70% ANY ANY....... OH YEAH!

That sucks for you though OP. Just take it to a shop, some will do it for free if you plan on getting tint on it again with them

Why was a rent-a-cop pulling your wife over?

Don't you guys in PA have real cops?

Maybe it's just the terminology, but here a "rent-a-cop" is a Security Guard. No POST certifications, and definitely not sworn in.

Thats what I was thinking.

For removal, if it is not worth it just to pay the fine, use simple green and trash bags to seal it up against the tint. Let it work long enough that the adhesive comes off with the tint and you will not have to scrape anything.

Huh! I never knew that!

Thanks. I'll have to file it in the "useless info" part of my tiny brain, but it's a good thing to know.

The Security Guards patrol the streets, while the sworn cops patrol the malls....

Maybe it's like the cops here... The state troopers hang out in the city, and the city cops are on the highway along with the Sheriff's Deputies. :lol:

I actually asked a state trooper the famous line from Super Troopers about why they aren't on the highway. He did not see the funny, grumbled and walked away.

For all of you who are saying "well don't tint it in the first place," just shut up. It's my car and I'll do what I want with it. I live in PA and I was pulled over about a year ago cuz some cop had nothing better to do. He was sitting in an alley, pulled me over and told me he couldn't see in my windows and liked my car so he pulled me over. He kept telling me he understands why I tinted my windows cuz it looks so much better but still gave me the same ticket (remove it and send in proof or pay a fine). I flat out told him I'll just send him the money cuz it's not coming off and he kinda laughed and said ok. I argued with him for a while and he assured me any aftermarket tint no matter how dark is illegal. Eventually I gave up and just asked for the ticket so I could leave. I never removed it and waited for the fine in the mail. I never received it though and actually called the station about a month later and they told me they had no record of me receiving a ticket. Apparently the cop just pulled me over to check out my car. I see hundreds of cars with tint in PA and I've been around cops plenty of times who just don't care. If I were you I'd just pay the fine. The chances you get pulled over again are fairly slim..

For all of you who are saying "well don't tint it in the first place," just shut up. It's my car and I'll do what I want with it.

I wonder if that defense will stand up in court after you mow down 5 people with your car. After all, those pesky laws are for losers, right? I mean, seriously! Who ever thought of laws? Those people had nothing better to do, right?

I live in PA and I was pulled over about a year ago cuz some cop had nothing better to do.

No. He pulled you over because you were operating an illegally equipped vehicle.

He was sitting in an alley, pulled me over and told me he couldn't see in my windows and liked my car so he pulled me over. He kept telling me he understands why I tinted my windows cuz it looks so much better but still gave me the same ticket (remove it and send in proof or pay a fine).

Maybe he felt bad, but in the end, he was doing his job. And one of the aspects of his job is to ticket drivers of illegally equipped vehicles.

I flat out told him I'll just send him the money cuz it's not coming off and he kinda laughed and said ok.

You're lucky he didn't decide you were trying to bribe him.

I argued with him for a while and he assured me any aftermarket tint no matter how dark is illegal.

Probably so. Hence him doing his job.

Eventually I gave up and just asked for the ticket so I could leave.

Should have done that in the first place. Could'a saved some old lady from getting robbed, because the cop wasn't tied up with you.

I never removed it and waited for the fine in the mail. I never received it though and actually called the station about a month later and they told me they had no record of me receiving a ticket.

You lucked out. It does sound a little strange that you received a ticket, yet the "station" would have no record of it. First, most large departments issue their officers with a batch of numbered tickets. LEt's say, 1 to 150. They have to account for every one of those tickets. Do you know why? Large departments have a big problem with this thing called "Dirty Cops". Dirty cop writes a ticket, then accepts a bribe to get rid of the ticket.

And why would the station have the ticket a month later? It usually ends up higher up in the court system (be it city or county). You... may want to call this station back and ask them who they send the tickets to, then call those people. ;) Lest you find yourself pulled over next time and going to jail over a measly (whatever the ticket was for) tint ticket because there's an FTA (Failure to Appear) warrant in your name.

Apparently the cop just pulled me over to check out my car.

Maybe so. But it still don't make your tint any less illegal, ya know?

I see hundreds of cars with tint in PA and I've been around cops plenty of times who just don't care.

Probably because they are sick of the whiny drivers who harass them for doing their jobs...? So they just let the other hundreds of cars roll on by.

The chances you get pulled over again are fairly slim..

The OP didn't get pulled over. It was his wife.

The yearly inspection does not cover window tint, so you can get away with it for as long as you can avoid being pulled over for it.

It does in my neck of the woods (VT). I have been to many a place where if you have tint in the front they won't inspect your car or they will tell you to get rid of it before they give you a sticker. No tint allowed on the front 3 windows but as dark as you like on the back 3 windows. I have yet to do mine but I will be going the legal route in my state for now. I know of too many people that have been pulled over and ticketed.

For all of you who are saying "well don't tint it in the first place," just shut up. It's my car and I'll do what I want with it.

Unfortunately driving is not a right its a pirvlege and certain rules and regulations need to be followed.

Yes it is your car that you paid for but you dont own the streets.

Thats like saying im gonna run a bunch of people over because its my car and i do what i want. Put 5% all around and get fined every other day or follow the limits and avoid fines.

well wy wife seemed to feel like the way our car looks it fit a certin profile if you know what i mean. she said the cop looked a little confused when she rolled the window down an he found a house wife and a 5 year old in the car...also i dont understand how he could just pull her over if she was doing nothing wrong. i could see if she was and then asked if he could put the tester on the window but thats not what he did. would be no difrent the pulling over someone just because he wants to search the car.

I wonder if that defense will stand up in court after you mow down 5 people with your car. After all, those pesky laws are for losers, right? I mean, seriously! Who ever thought of laws? Those people had nothing better to do, right?
I am with you to an extent, but the tint laws are almost always made-up B.S. that do not serve any purpose other than revenue. You can spray-paint every window of an SUV or truck black save for the front two and windshield, or drive a panel van that has no windows behind the driver...but a car has to be completely naked of tint? That is just stupid, but getting the law changed is futile since none of the representatives care about such a small thing, especially when it is easy revenue.

Still, the law is the law and when you go against it, you have to understand what the repercussions are. All of my vehicles are tinted, and I live in PA as well. I do not try and give anyone a reason to pull me over, but if they did stop me for tint I would just have to suck it up and redo it.

It does in my neck of the woods (VT). I have been to many a place where if you have tint in the front they won't inspect your car or they will tell you to get rid of it before they give you a sticker.
Maryland does to...but it does not matter, since the OP is in PENNSYLVANIA.

looks like ill be going to walmart getting a steamer and striping the whole car. man this sucks!

Frogman I'm not gonna argue with you cuz it's an effort in futility but just to clarify, the 'ticket' they give you has your name and address etc. and says "you have 7 days to remove the tint and email the ticket to the station. if you don't do so, you will be mailed the fine." I actually called a couple times and told them I never received my fine (I know that sounds stupid but like you said, I'd rather not get pulled over and go to jail because it got lost in the mail or something). I was told by the station AND the officer who wrote the 'ticket' (they asked him over the radio with me on the phone) that I wouldn't be receiving a fine... I actually still have the 'ticket' somewhere.

BlackLS06 - Seriously, you're gonna compare tinting you windows to running people over....ok. Second, I've had tinted cars for 10+ years and have been pulled over once. Third, I don't have 5%. I have 20% all around and it really isn't tough to see out of at all. Btw, the first car I ever bought was a white 91 Camaro with 5% tint all around. I bought it off a cop who told me he had his car tinted cuz it looked great against the white (which it did). Furthermore, seeing as how I constantly see cops sitting next to tinted cars at lights and and doing nothing, I guess not all cops think it's a terribly important law..

To the guy with the tint that got pulled over - did the cop mention how much the fine would be? I found out when I called around to see if I could have mine removed that the fine would be less than actually having it professionally removed. Obviously if you can do it yourself that's better but I heard the rear window alone can be like $100. Could be wrong.
And you do risk the chance of getting ticketed over and over and over again for tint. I'll take my chances.
Good luck.

Btw, those of you who are saying that if they get busted they'll peel their tint off then redo it, do you tint yourselves? If I remember correctly the fine is $100. To have windows tinted professionally around me its at least $100. Why not just pay the fine instead of peeling and having it re-tinted?

never told us what the fine would be. but gave us the same card giving us 7 days to remove it and take the car into the station so he can view it. this is our local cop. if we dont remove it he will just keep pulling us over since his fat ass seems to camp out every weekend right down the street. funny 2 stores robed yesterday and the all got away but he got my ass for window tint...small town...

Oh that sucks. Where I got pulled over wasn't really near my home but was near my work. The cop asked me where I work and I told him so I was afraid he would just sit outside and pull me over every day until I got my tint removed but he didn't. Then again I still say he wasn't too concerned about the tint in the first place as he never actually fined me, told me at least 3 times he liked my car and that it looked real good with tint, and I've seen him since (usually sits in the same area) and he has done nothing.

Members online

No members online now.
Back