wtf is this

95Marklll(Kingcobra)

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok from 0-about 25 under slow accel my car revs high and low when shifting, I heard a few other ppl here say the same thing, and when OD is off it doesent due this, so idk.

yeah. Under slow accel it revs high then low then high low, like that. Only under real slow accel. and when I mean high i mean like little higher then normal rpm, im not talking it revs up to 5k nothing like that, tach doesent work so im going by ear, its just a slightly higher rev, lol. Also when im cruising to a stop i can feel the down shift at 30 like a little thump sometimes feels like the car hesitates, i heard this is normal with OD on, so idc, also the valve body has Buzz to it sometimes, blah blah blah,lol. Bunch of stock tranny bs that a j-mod would prob fix.

mine tachs up too high during shifts under heavy accelleration. I can't figure out why it does it. It will go all the way to redline unless I let off the gas.

Slipping trans? My 2nd gear is completely gone and the car reacts pretty smart to it. It doesnt even try to go to 2nd gear just revs 1st out a little while longer and then skips right to third. Before the gear was gone it start reving alittle higher then normal.

Staffamerica74 said:
Slipping trans? My 2nd gear is completely gone and the car reacts pretty smart to it. It doesnt even try to go to 2nd gear just revs 1st out a little while longer and then skips right to third. Before the gear was gone it start reving alittle higher then normal.

so how did u lose your second gear?? damn street racers:p

lol i just liked that chirp into 2nd so much I guess I was doing it a little too often. LOL

I tried driving with O/D off and it shifts perfect... Why would it not want to shift properly with overdrive on?

Yeah same hear, I hate transmissions. It allways happens IMO, a company makes a bad ass bullit proof motor and a good but IMO weak tranny. Whenever I hear ppl complaning about something on there car specially ppl who race is the trany.

yeah, I don't race and the car was owned by a woman on a corporate fleet lease before me. I don't know what is up with it... I guess that is the problem with auto trannys... I would rather have a 5 or 6 speed myself.

yeah the 4r70w is crappy i think they all shift into overdrive way too early if you are cruisng around.

The shift points are controlled by the engine computer, not the 4R70W itself. If you want it to shift later, you need a chip/flash.

I'm experiencing something I think is simliar to the original post. I have not determined what the cause is yet. When I resolve the problem, I'll post my solution.

I luv my mark 8, the only thing that I can say pisses me off is the tranny. It does what its suppose to do but seriously that OD kicks in way to early, maybe I should get a chip and a flash, If I did this though, will there still be a hard ass shift into 2nd?

You can set the shift firmness however you want with a chip. The chip controls the line pressure.

K, heres a new one, windows down doing like 20 then WOT up to 50 get off hear a screech, the valve body? One more, driving at night high beams on idk seems like they get dimmer as I drive only to a certain point though they stop getting dimmer, when I first turn them on there really bright but as I go they get slightly dimmer?

95Marklll(Kingcobra) said:
K, heres a new one, windows down doing like 20 then WOT up to 50 get off hear a screech, the valve body? One more, driving at night high beams on idk seems like they get dimmer as I drive only to a certain point though they stop getting dimmer, when I first turn them on there really bright but as I go they get slightly dimmer?

Check for black rubber power around the alternator pulley. Belt slippage & screeching seems to be fairly common on 4.6L SOHC cars with factory style belts (I don't see why a DOHC car would be much different). Putting on a Goodyear Gatorback belt will solve the belt slippage & screeching.

95Marklll(Kingcobra) said:
Its my belt? Never thought of that, would it screech only for a sec right after getting off WOT?

What happens is the alternator doesn't allways slow down as fast as your engine RPMs (either when the car shifts or when you let off the gas). So the engine slows down to lets say 1000rpm while your alternator is still spinning at the same speed as it was when your engine was turning at 6,000rpm. The belt tends to grab the crank pulley (and most of the accessories) pretty well but not so well on the alternator pulley so you get squeel until the alternator slows down to the same speed as the belt.

So check to make sure the belt tensioner hasn't gone weak on you and check for black rubber dust around the alternator pulley (which would indicate the belt is slipping on the alternator). If the tensioner is good, just slap on a goodyear gatorback belt and call it a day.

hmm my belt is going bad and its only like 10 months old same for the tensioner.... stupid cheap advanced auto parts the belt is a dayco.

Members online

No members online now.
Back