WOW! new Lincoln 2007 MKS sports sedan, with 315 HP V-8

JoeyLincolnMK8 said:
after looking at the Mk's engine again, i can not help but notice it has the same engine as the 4.4i BMW X5! since ford uses BM's block in the Range, why not drop it into a lincoln! the 4.4i X5 and the Mk's engine are the same 315HP 32v V8!
Same displacement, not same engine; the MKS uses a derivative of the Ford/Yamaha/Volvo V8 that's in the Volvo XC-90 (which is derived from the 3.4L V8 in the last-gen SHO). BTW, Ford now uses Jag engines in the Rovers--the BMW mills were just left-overs from BMW's ownership of Land Rover.

As to why else they wouldn't use BMW engines, BMW only uses longitudinally-mounted engines, and the D3 is a transverse-engined platform.

oh well.... i guess it was wishfull thinking! transverse engine... that is so stupid.... oh yeah what am i saying it is ford!

Geez, forget that Passat I was going to buy in June! When is this thing hitting show rooms?!?

One thing that strikes me as odd, is that it does not look like it offers a Manual mode for that 6 speed auto....

So first Lincoln tries to copy BMW and introduces the LS. Now they are shooting for Acura with the MKS??? It is destined for the same fate.

I think this car (and SUV) will keep Lincoln in business, but I don't think it will IMPROVE their current position in the marketplace. As a Mark VIII owner, the LS never appealed to me. On the other hand, this car does so that says something.

Who did Cadillac copy when they unveiled the CTS??? Hint Hint...:)

Kale

Here are some photos I found searching on the new MKS. They are taken by some independent photographer. Here is a link to all of his photos at the NAIAS show:

http://mlav.us/car/autoshow06/photos.htm

Lincoln%20MKS%20a.jpg

Lincoln%20MKS%20b.jpg

Lincoln%20MKS%20c.jpg

Lincoln%20MKS%20d.jpg

Lincoln%20MKS%20e.jpg

those are some freaky big headrests.
I do like the idea of the headlights - no moving parts is always a good thing.
overall I like the MKS other than the backside. But since I like the LS better I think I'll stick with it, prob till I die (first car). Maybe get myself the upcoming Nissan Skyline GTR to have some real fun with.

WTF, Ford isn't going to have the MKS ready until February 2008. By then, it won't be evolutionary any more, and the Acura replacements will already have arrived and taken the market.

WTF are they thinking? This needs to be out summer '06 to get a good start.

Ford will begin building a production version of its Lincoln MKS Concept in February 2008, according to a report by Automotive News. A supplier said the car will go into production "pretty much as shown at the auto show." The report suggests a second derivative of the MKS, also for Lincoln, will go into production later that year. Many automotive enthusiasts have wondered how long it will take Ford, GM, and Chrysler to bring their high-profile concepts from this year's Detroit auto show to market. Will 2008 be soon enough for the MKS? Post your thoughts in our comment section…

Before I pass judgement I want to see under-hood and under-body photos.

AWD is a minus. 4.4v8 is a plus, provided it's oriented correctly.

Seeing this --right now-- is a big "hrmmm..." for me, personally.

--The Clown to the Left

The people who buy Lambo Murcielagos and Porsche Carrera 4s don't seem to think AWD is a minus.

The 4.4V8 will be transversely-mounted; the MKS is a D3 car, which is a derivative of the platform under the Volvo S80, and the V8 is a derivative of the V8 now used in the Volvo XC-90.

Personally, I'll wait to drive the car before I judge it.

You're right, Sooner. Driving it would be the final test. But for me, there's little point in doing so if the engine's sideways and it's got AWD. Seeing the photos would save me time. But if you're certain this will be the powertrain configuration of the car --and with the shared Volvo platorm, it sounds like you are-- then I've learned all I need to know about the MKS.

I guess it isn't all bad, really: it DOES make the argument for a coupe a bit stronger. I bet I can find one of those with RWD... probably even a manual transmission, if I squint a bit!

Best,

--The Clown to the Left.

Clown2theleft said:
I guess it isn't all bad, really: it DOES make the argument for a coupe a bit stronger. I bet I can find one of those with RWD... probably even a manual transmission, if I squint a bit!
AutoWeek had a blurb about a Mustang-based Lincoln coupe last fall, and from some of rumors I've heard, it sounded like it was a good possibility that the project would see the light of day.

I also saw an interview with J Mays (Ford's world-wide head of design; IIRC, he's on the same organizational level as Ford Americas President Mark Fields), and he mentioned the possibility of a Lincoln coupe, but he said that was a "reward" for the designers, sort of like a dessert. He said they had to come through on the sedans, crossovers, and so forth, that will make Lincoln return to success before they would have the luxury (no pun intended) of working on a coupe.

The body style looks a little bit like the 2007 Volvo S80, and I don't think that's a bad thing either. the new S80 looks very nice.

I thought I read Somewhere(Car and Driver?) that Ford said the MKS is a "teaser" car and will never go into production.

Krib-Master said:
I thought I read Somewhere(Car and Driver?) that Ford said the MKS is a "teaser" car and will never go into production.

You sure? I think Horbury? said that it will go into production with very few changes. But we all know they'll screw it up.....

The latest reports are that it will go into production in Chicago in early 2008, and that it will be essentially the same as it appeared at NAIAS.

hmm it looks nice but it does have that acura volvo type look to me.... its not really a bad thing i just didnt really expect it to look like that.

I think Lincoln should dontate one to LVC so we can test it out. Of course it would come to my house.

WOW a Lincoln TL! Man Lincoln is so sad and pathetic, the most un original cookie cutter cars I have ever seen.

The wheels and gut are hot and thats it.

nashmage said:
hmm it looks nice but it does have that acura volvo type look to me.... its not really a bad thing i just didnt really expect it to look like that.

Well, it's based on the same platform as the new Volvo S80.

Acura?

I actually saw this car a month or so ago at the auto show here in DC. It was definitely the collective car of interest and drew quite a crown. If you ask me, due to it's size, it reminded me more of an STS when you see it in person. Some work could be done on the grill but the exhaust and wheels were huge.

Members online

No members online now.
Back