Would you get another LS?

LennDawg said:
wow im sick of dudes like you rippin on us "young kids", its gettin old so give it a break... we are just regular people doin wut we like to do best, mess with our cars... and if im not mistaken, i think you were a kid once too buddy... and it looks like not just "young kids" on here are "trying to convert it into some type of hotrod"... im definatly not tryin to so where you gettin ur info from? and the only accident ive been in was because of some chink girl spinnin out and nailin me, and come to find out she got a ticket for speeding and a suspended license = not my fault... somebody chime in and rip this dude a new a$$hole so i dont have to :bash:

Get a clue!! All he said was that the LS is less reliable when it gets modified and raced! He's right. Anytime you modify and race a car it becomes less reliable.

99 KOBRA said:
Get a clue!! All he said was that the LS is less reliable when it gets modified and raced! He's right. Anytime you modify and race a car it becomes less reliable.

That's what I thought as well....

BUT

I would be plopping down $$ on an '06 if I had any right now.

Meanwhile, I'm glad I have an '03 and not an older one. Most every issue I see is pre-03.

eeprete said:
Let me preface this by saying I don't own an LS (Every car of mine for the last 15 years has been a Mustang of some sort, 6 in all, 2 of which I still own).

However, I've loved the looks of them and test drove one and am now considering selling my Mustang GT, and buying one. Mainly due to the fact that I am now a family man, and mashing the throttle and powershifting doesn't have that same thrill it used to.

However, I see a lot of backlash these last few days I have been logging into this site. I don't know whether it stems from repair frustrations or are people that unhappy with their vehicles or are they not reliable?

I've been told many things about them, and given advice of getting a low mileage 02 or get an 03-06. (I am trying to keep it under 16 or 17).

So, in short, would you do it again? And what do you like most about the LS in general? Also what do you like least?

Let's see, I bought a 2000 in August, 2000. In March 2003 it was a new Sable (to replace the '96 we had) or a 2001 LS. The LS won. In December 2005 the price was too good to pass up, so we traded in the 2001 on a 2006. So, in the last 5 years we've had 3 LSes. Two new and one pre-owned/used. All the LSes have been reliable. I was only left "stranded" once when the by-pass hose blew. The other issues I encountered were of my own doing. In the stable I know have the first and last LSes.

One completely satisified LS owner!!!!

I would DEFINATELY buy an LS. :D The LS has its own uniqueness to it. It's kinda like an underdog because not very many people have them. Everywhere you go you see beamers and mercedes. I am very disappointed they stopped the production of the LS. :mad:

99 KOBRA said:

Thank you.

I guess I got some of the kids riled up. I didn't mean to, but heck, its entertaining to see their hilarious replies. :D And regardless of their gasket-blowing responses, it doesn't change the fact that there ARE a lot of younger members on this board, they DO try to rodd up the car, and that DOES result in decreased reliability. Reality is a tough concept to understand when you were born in the 1980s, but eventually they'll get it. And, as a group, they are bad drivers. Why do you think they pay a lot more in insurance?

The LS is a terrific car. Try to get an 03 or newer if you can find it. That way, you'll have all the nice upgrades, plus a bit of factory warranty. BTW, the V6 engine on the 03+ models is really quite good, so don't overlook those either.

ToddG said:
Thank you.

I guess I got some of the kids riled up. I didn't mean to, but heck, its entertaining to see their hilarious replies. :D And regardless of their gasket-blowing responses, it doesn't change the fact that there ARE a lot of younger members on this board, they DO try to rodd up the car, and that DOES result in decreased reliability. Reality is a tough concept to understand when you were born in the 1980s, but eventually they'll get it. And, as a group, they are bad drivers. Why do you think they pay a lot more in insurance?

The LS is a terrific car. Try to get an 03 or newer if you can find it. That way, you'll have all the nice upgrades, plus a bit of factory warranty. BTW, the V6 engine on the 03+ models is really quite good, so don't overlook those either.
Itsnotmydaddys....your wrong. I am on his team, and im sure alot of others who dont even post(good for them) are too. I'm not old, 30, but 18-21 yr old kids are punks. Anyone who gets all heated up by that comment just says that its describing you. All the posts about racing, and tickets, and running from cops just shows their punks. Hmm...you referenced the older guys, Grayghost...QuikLS. I have yet to see a post by them about their racing or tickets or running from the cops so you just burned yourself on that one buddy. But...i guess i'm just some old hasbeen though huh ?? Well even i myself was a young punk and owned an extremely powerfull LT-1 Trans Am, but to date have 1 ticket, 0 accidents(involving others), 0 racing incidents, 0 times trying to flee cops, 3 warnings instead of citations. So tell me i'm a bad driver. Us older guys say what we say because we've been there and done that and moved on. Sadly enough even old age doesnt encourage some people to "move on". I can say with about 99% certainty that i'll buy another LS when i am done with mine.

i dont know about that comment about ppl born in the 80's.. the insurance wil try and get money out of u any way possible.. but to answer the question at hand.. yes, i would buy another one.. i love my LS.. i wouldnt mind havin mine stay home and another one for daily driving.. mmm.. that would be great. :)

Insurance rates come from the liabilities associated with insuring those younger, riskier drivers. I remember the time when I paid 2500 a year for simply liability on a 1982 Mercury Capri RS 5.0, even though I didn't go out drag racing until 4AM every night.

But anyway lets move on and stay on topic.

I really appreciate all the feedback, from everyone young or old. gives a good perspective of it all, and from the looks of it, I'd be set in almost any LS. I will certainly try to find as new as I can afford, but diapers are expensive these days... Even when you get them at BJ's or Costco......

well ... here in FL.. there is a place named OFFleaseOnly.. that sells only previously leased lincoln/ford/mercury/jaguar...

i got my 02 LS in december of 04 with 26,000 miles for 17,000.. with 5year/or 100,000 mile warranty.. i dont think its bad..

i saw some in auto trader for 12,000... the 2000-2001 is going dirty cheap.. atleast i believe so...

BanginLS said:
well ... here in FL.. there is a place named OFFleaseOnly.. that sells only previously leased lincoln/ford/mercury/jaguar...

i got my 02 LS in december of 04 with 26,000 miles for 17,000.. with 5year/or 100,000 mile warranty.. i dont think its bad..

i saw some in auto trader for 12,000... the 2000-2001 is going dirty cheap.. atleast i believe so...
I'll second that. I think because the LS is soooo plentiful here in florida the prices are cheap.

99 KOBRA said:
So a Magne-Flow exhaust and a Intake with Open Filter is going to make my car less reliabe? Thats not really an accurate statement. Rims, yeh thats going to cause me to be stranded some day.

02LSE96LSC91SE84TC said:
So a Magne-Flow exhaust and a Intake with Open Filter is going to make my car less reliabe? Thats not really an accurate statement. Rims, yeh thats going to cause me to be stranded some day.
Hey...go ask the guy who blew his engine, or the dude who fried his tranny with big rims. It happens. Absolutely the mods you mentioned could cause failure vs. a stock car. Thats why if you have those mods it would never be covered by a warranty. The benefit vs. risk with those mods just isnt there.

bottom line is everyone is responsible for their driving. some 18 year olds drive better than 40 year olds. but Todd/FLA are right that when you start treating your car like a racer it's going to cost more to upkeep and insure. just simple statistics. i personally am already paying a lot just to own and drive the LS so higher insurance is not on my list of to-do's. by the way i wonder if there are more expensive areas for insurance than LA? anyone out there have ridiculous rates?

As an aside, here in NY, I called Allstate to see how switching to an LS would affect my rates.

Compared to my 2000 Mustang GT Convertible, it would be a $30/year increase if I got the 2002 V8 LSE, and a $30/year decrease if I got a regular V8 LS. Not nearly as much of a discount as I thought.

I would buy another LS. I currently have an 03 V8 with 60,000 miles but I bought it at the dealership and purchased an additional 100,000 mi 3 year extended warranty. Only had to use it once for two bad coils and bad power steering pump but I guess it was worth it. One more time around like that and the warranty will pay for itself. Otherwise the car seems very stable. Sometimes the shifting seems odd but it lines itself out. The only real complaint I have is that they are not being made anymore. I would love to be able to buy a brand new one in a couple of years when I become more financially stable.

I'm a punk? Just because I'm 18? Or is it that fact that I stand up for myself when I'm stereotyped? Sounds like 18 might be more of a mature age than 30+ now a days. How's it feel to be stereotyped too? Watch what you say. Age does not, by any circumstances, mean intelligence.

Wait... W T F it's practically the same topic... you people are playing tricks on my mind. :\

Oh, and I'm 18... so I guess that makes me a punk? Although I'm not the type that buys craploads of aftermarket junk in an attempt to "pimp" out my used car.

Fla02LS said:
Hey...go ask the guy who blew his engine, or the dude who fried his tranny with big rims. It happens. Absolutely the mods you mentioned could cause failure vs. a stock car. Thats why if you have those mods it would never be covered by a warranty. The benefit vs. risk with those mods just isnt there.
You got to be kidding, I'm sure there was more to it, probably plenty of broken trans and other problems on stock cars, maybe its the driver, lack of maintenance. My Foose Wheels barely weigh any more than stock and will not cuase tranny damage. Exhuast isn't going to frag the motor either.
I guess I'm a 33 year old punk.

As the original poster, I'd ask to lets keep this civil. I am trying to get a feel for the car, without WWIII breaking out over this vs. that.

As an aside, in all my years of owning cars (I've been driving for 15 years and have owned numerous Mustangs), I have never seen a engine dismantle itself bc of an aftermarket exhaust or something like a K&N air filter. That is simply ludicrous and a statement from someone that doesn't understand basic auto mechanical functions.

A prime example is my 90 LX, that has a Flowmaster Force II exhaust and a K&N filter. Other than that, it's stock, and has been reliable for all 170,000 miles. Rims and tire combos on the otherhand could affect the suspension of a vehicle drastically if they are not sized appropriately.

eeprete said:
As the original poster, I'd ask to lets keep this civil. I am trying to get a feel for the car, without WWIII breaking out over this vs. that.

As an aside, in all my years of owning cars (I've been driving for 15 years and have owned numerous Mustangs), I have never seen a engine dismantle itself bc of an aftermarket exhaust or something like a K&N air filter. That is simply ludicrous and a statement from someone that doesn't understand basic auto mechanical functions.

A prime example is my 90 LX, that has a Flowmaster Force II exhaust and a K&N filter. Other than that, it's stock, and has been reliable for all 170,000 miles. Rims and tire combos on the otherhand could affect the suspension of a vehicle drastically if they are not sized appropriately.
My Trans Am had 120,000 miles on it and i really beat the piss out of it, but mustangs and a trans am are built to take a ton of horsepower and a good beating. The LS is more of a fine tuned machine and little changes add up. I personally dont believe that a k&n filter alone will cause engine failure, but the guy who does a k&n will most likely keep going with mods.

Any car, as parts are added will become less reliable, as the engine (and car) is no longer operating as designed. There are however parts that can certainly enhance a cars performance whether it be an air filter or an exhaust.

While I can agree the designs are different, take into consideration an LS has more factory horsepower than a mid nineties Mustang LX/GT 5.0. Are you telling me the rest of the drivetrain cannot handle the 250-280 HP that's built into them?

I think the problem lies within the driving habits once the performance parts add up. After all, someone is adding them because they want to go faster. A car is only as strong as it's weakest link. If you build the whole car as a package, you're must less likely to break anything.

If you want to add a blower, exhaust, suspension, wheels, performance tires to your LS, you're just negating many of the vehicles attributes and perhaps a sedan like a Police Package Crown Vic or a Mercury Maurauder is more in line with your ultimate street machine.

Fla02LS said:
My Trans Am had 120,000 miles on it and i really beat the piss out of it, but mustangs and a trans am are built to take a ton of horsepower and a good beating. The LS is more of a fine tuned machine and little changes add up. I personally dont believe that a k&n filter alone will cause engine failure, but the guy who does a k&n will most likely keep going with mods.
A guy who adds a K&N filter is also the type of guy who never misses an oil change. You can only do so many mods to the LS anyways, 20hp isn't going to automactically mean the motors life is going to be shorter. My 91 has 220,000 miles on the original motor, it has a K&N, power pipe and exhaust. Still runs great, and I worked her regularly.

Members online

No members online now.
Back