Would you get another LS?

eeprete

LVC Member
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying I don't own an LS (Every car of mine for the last 15 years has been a Mustang of some sort, 6 in all, 2 of which I still own).

However, I've loved the looks of them and test drove one and am now considering selling my Mustang GT, and buying one. Mainly due to the fact that I am now a family man, and mashing the throttle and powershifting doesn't have that same thrill it used to.

However, I see a lot of backlash these last few days I have been logging into this site. I don't know whether it stems from repair frustrations or are people that unhappy with their vehicles or are they not reliable?

I've been told many things about them, and given advice of getting a low mileage 02 or get an 03-06. (I am trying to keep it under 16 or 17).

So, in short, would you do it again? And what do you like most about the LS in general? Also what do you like least?

i would do it again in a heartbeat... im pissed they stopped makin them because there isnt a car out there that compares, lookwise in my opinion... :L

Like Lenn said in a heartbeat. Only i would get an 03. I havent heard many complaints with than year nor the 02. I love my 00 but it has had more problems than my last 3 cars together in 1 year

yes I would do it again. and i would still get an 02.
My 02 has 47K and no problems thus far. except for lug nuts :cool:
Get an 02 fast and you still might have some time left on the warranty.

I think what you have to ask urself is if u want a more power then the ls02.

I would most definitely do it again. I have an 04 and would get another 04 and up. I also am an ex Mustang owner. 3 of them. 03 and up is like a whole diff car mechanically from the previous models. They all look good though.

eeprete said:
Let me preface this by saying I don't own an LS (Every car of mine for the last 15 years has been a Mustang of some sort, 6 in all, 2 of which I still own).

However, I've loved the looks of them and test drove one and am now considering selling my Mustang GT, and buying one. Mainly due to the fact that I am now a family man, and mashing the throttle and powershifting doesn't have that same thrill it used to.

However, I see a lot of backlash these last few days I have been logging into this site. I don't know whether it stems from repair frustrations or are people that unhappy with their vehicles or are they not reliable?

I've been told many things about them, and given advice of getting a low mileage 02 or get an 03-06. (I am trying to keep it under 16 or 17).

So, in short, would you do it again? And what do you like most about the LS in general? Also what do you like least?

Well, I just acquired a new 2006 LS after 3 years with my 2003 LS. My 2003 was a terrific car -- the best car I've ever owned. That car was rock-solid reliable -- I never had a problem with it, except for known issues that were addressed by Technical Service Bulletins. The LS has everything I want -- style, power, comfort, and interior space.

Overall, the LS is a very reliable car. However, what you see on this board in particular are lots of young kids who bought their LS used and are trying to convert them into some type of hotrod. They are also not the best drivers (note the numerous threads about accidents and getting pulled over), and tend to stress the car in ways it was not intended. I'm convinced this results in skewed posts here about problems that otherwise would not occur.

So, my advice is that if you intend to drive your LS in a spirited but otherwise normal fashion, you won't have many problems. But if you want to make it a dragster or race car, you're asking for trouble.

As for which model to get, I would get a 2003 model or later. These models have many upgrades including the engine, transmission, and suspension. You can probably get a nice 2003 model for less than $19K.

eeprete said:
Mainly due to the fact that I am now a family man, and mashing the throttle and powershifting doesn't have that same thrill it used to.
So, when's the funeral, 'cause, man, you've got to be terminal for that to be true. ;)

If I had the dinero, I'd be at the local dealer ordering a new LS before the end of the month (when the ordering window closes). I can't begin to tell you the things I love about this car; the performance, the handling, the looks, the luxury--it's got the whole package.

ToddG said:
Overall, the LS is a very reliable car. However, what you see on this board in particular are lots of young kids who bought their LS used and are trying to convert them into some type of hotrod. They are also not the best drivers (note the numerous threads about accidents and getting pulled over), and tend to stress the car in ways it was not intended. I'm convinced this results in skewed posts here about problems that otherwise would not occur.

wow im sick of dudes like you rippin on us "young kids", its gettin old so give it a break... we are just regular people doin wut we like to do best, mess with our cars... and if im not mistaken, i think you were a kid once too buddy... and it looks like not just "young kids" on here are "trying to convert it into some type of hotrod"... im definatly not tryin to so where you gettin ur info from? and the only accident ive been in was because of some chink girl spinnin out and nailin me, and come to find out she got a ticket for speeding and a suspended license = not my fault... somebody chime in and rip this dude a new a$$hole so i dont have to :bash:

I'd consider another LS but need/want a truck. I guess the moons would have to line up in a certain way for me to buy another one. OR....get a helluva good deal on one.

TODDG why is it that you always have to talk :q:q:q:q. i remember when u first came aboard and you began talking :q:q:q:q. You say its us young folks here that have problems and try to hotrod our LS. Well i want you to PM greyghost and Quikls and pete02LSE and tell them this. Tell everyone here your opinions, I guarantte you that no one will agree with you. People buy cars because they like them, weather young or old(er), they do what they like and what their taste are. I have seen several older men racing their corvettes and vipers and mercedes and several otehrs cars go to their forums and talk siht to them.
Because you liek a stock look rather than a modified dont go talking siht. Everyone has their opinion. Im so sick of dealing with your:bsflag: and im sure alot of other people here are. So why dont you try to shut your mouth before you go insulting others for doing what they like. This forum is for members who own Ls' it doesnt say no kids, no driving over the speed limit, no modding, JUST BASIC/STOCK LS ALLOWED. now if it did then open your mouth but until the shut the hell up.

Hell ya

LennDawg said:
i would do it again in a heartbeat... im pissed they stopped makin them because there isnt a car out there that compares, lookwise in my opinion... :L

Like Lenn said in a heartbeat I'd get another LS, 03+ preferably but I'd get another 02 if the price and car where right.

I'm pissed too but not so much for the looks. Although I think it looks great it always seemed to me like it was trying to look like a BMW (not that that's a bad thing mind you) I'm pissed because there is nothing out there that that can touch the LS when it comes to the total package. Power, handling, looks, amenities, the list just go's on and on.

LennDawg said:
wow im sick of dudes like you rippin on us "young kids", its gettin old so give it a break... we are just regular people doin wut we like to do best, mess with our cars... and if im not mistaken, i think you were a kid once too buddy... and it looks like not just "young kids" on here are "trying to convert it into some type of hotrod"... im definatly not tryin to so where you gettin ur info from? and the only accident ive been in was because of some chink girl spinnin out and nailin me, and come to find out she got a ticket for speeding and a suspended license = not my fault... somebody chime in and rip this dude a new a$$hole so i dont have to :bash:
Not worth it, its all to common for the old folks to act like they now whats best, they live to play that card, most are hasbeens that don't know jack, talking down to youngins on line maybe all they got. I'm not talking about this thread, but in general. I'm no youngin, not old either, don't agree with all threads, but respect people doing what they want with THEIR car.
These cars are very reliable, problems are minor. Valve cover gaskets, coil paks, some noise in the front suspension, are the only things that regularly are talked about. As far as 03 up being better, they have some obvious nice features, but the seats and mis-matched aluminum and wood accents, led me to my 02LSE.

WOW, what a good post. I agree 110%. The problems ive had are ball joint, coils, valve cover, heated seats, door handle, brakes (midas sucks, cant get tehm to stop squeaking, normal), other normal wear and tear items. But i have spent alot of money fixing this car and now im thinking i have worked out all the kinks (except the shocks, or another ball joint). but other than that i love my car.

Nice one sooner, ;) Trust me, everyone hits that point. To have a car that can get up and go is great, a real rush, but often I just want to get in my car, drive where I need, and get there quietly without having to listen to my Flowmasters rumble....

But I will ALWAYS have a Mustang. I currently have two; a 90 LX that just has mild mods, and also an 2K GT vert. The harsh reality is, is that the 2000 isn't a very "safe" family vehicle. It's a great ride that I love, but I've honestly never felt "safe" in it. Not because of me or my driving, just the sheer structural and safety issues with convertibles in general. In my 3 years of owning it, I've had the top down maybe 15 times. I still love the way it drives over any car I've ever owned.

I'd much rather be in something I will drive more, that can fit my wife and daughter in, that still has a little rumble to it, but not a rattle. I've considered all sorts of cars. The A4, Passat 4Motion. TL, etc etc. As you can see, I certainly want something a bit nicer than a Chevy Malibu (nothing wrong with Malibus).

I really like the 02 LSE, and although I love the taillights on the 03-06, the rest of the body feels a little "softer" to me. I've come across an 04 LSE for 25K with only a few hundred miles on it, but that's a real stretch, since we are still paying for my wife's car as well. Hence the 02's seem to offer a real nice value, particularly the 02 LSE's.

The 02s became a good buy more recently as the 03s are becoming more available used. From what your describing the LS could be a good car for you. Its family friendly, but far from a boat. Its got alot of the performance stuff your lookin for, but just more subtle. The handling and nibbleness (if thats a word) will surprize you. It was a little boring for me a first, exhaust and intake helped, but just driving the car awhile, it grows on you, its really a very well balanced machine. I can say I love the car more now than when I bought it, thats not the norm.

hell yes. if i had the cashola, i would get a brand new 02

ToddG said:

So, my advice is that if you intend to drive your LS in a spirited but otherwise normal fashion, you won't have many problems. But if you want to make it a dragster or race car, you're asking for trouble.

So which one of us "kids" is making their car into a hot rod. I know I wish I had that type of knowledge.
Ur a Geek!

Yeah Todd, sorry to tell you but I'll put money down that I'm a better driver than you are. Hmmm, lets see... Young kids who just got out of driving school, still remember all the rules, yeah sounds like we'd be bad drivers. Driving does get better with age, look at those NASCAR-Level Senior Citizens man. Sounds like your view of you being mature is you being an old grump. You bring absolutely nothing good to this forum, just leave.

eeprete said:

I had 2 Mustangs before I got my LS. The LS was great, when it worked. I had a 2000 LS I bought used in '04 with 40k miles on it and I had a lot of problems with it. I don't like to judge a whole car line based on one experience like that, but I did not replace my LS with another LS. I traded it on a Dodge Charger.

Go drive an LS and see if you like it. It's a very different type of car than a Mustang. It does have great driving dynamics, it's just not like a Mustang. You should also check out the Charger if you're not married to Ford, because they are phenomenal cars and offer a driving experience that you would probably enjoy.

I looked at the car ads over President's day weekend, and one Lincoln dealership was selling all '05 LSes for $10,000 under MSRP, and another was offering all of their '05 LSes for $13,000 under. If those deals are legit and you could find something like that, it would probably make more sense than a used '04.

EDIT: I guess I should point out that I'm not a young kid flogging his LS or weighing it down with all the aftermarket goodies from Pep Boys, yet it was still a terrible car (from a reliability standpoint). It was even worse than my wife's old '88 LeBaron convertible, and that's saying something!

I have already had 2 LS's. I got a 2000 V8 Sport when they first came out on a 3 year lease. Then I bought my 2003 when they came out. Thank god I got 0% financing since I am still a bit upside down in the car but at least I am not paying interest. The good news is that the 2003 came with the free service. They did my brakes for free last time I took it in.

So if the question is whether I would get another one? No. 2 is enough and now they are going away.

I would love to get a slightly used M5 or E55.

My LS is my Mustang

I allways wanted a mustang. I graduated high school in the 5.0 hay day and wanted one so bad I could taste it. At my age (insurance rate) and commuting distance it was not practical. Then I met my wife and had some kids and bought a house and so on and so forth. When we need to replace the family truckster afew months back this used LS caught our eye. At the time I had no idea what kinda car it was or who made it. Needless to say we bought it and I finally have my mustang. It's got a peppy V8, rear wheel drive, select shift auto, and can pull off the ocasional burn out. No it's not as high performace as a stang but for guy with a family I don't feel like I'm making my family suffer (like I would if I owned a mustang).

I would get another LS without question. But I have to agree that some people think of their LS as a race car when its a luxury car. I dont think its age based but I have to agree that some people are rodding on their cars way too much. But remember its their car and they have that right just dont worry about their problems if you arent going to rodd it.

Overall great car and way better than the stang

I have a 2000 V8 Sport right now which I plan on holding onto for another year or so, then I am either on to a Jag S-type or another Ls 03+

If could do it again? Maybe, if I could get an '06 for a great price. If I could go back and get another chance at deciding if I should of bought my current ls? I'd probably pass it up and keep my '03 cavalier w/ 14k miles and showroom condition. Only reason for me saying that is cause at the time I was told I was getting a big raise, and more hours so I said "yea I can do the almost double what I am paying now pymt" but it turned out the raise was dragged on and on(got it eventually) but my hours still are in the dumpster.

Love the car, its a great ride but most know I'm hoping it goes soon so I can "start over" and save up for other things. I may get another LS in the future like I said already I want an 06, but we'll see when I come to that bridge.

As fair as reliability, I have yet to have anything serious go wrong and I will admit I have spun the tires, did a doughnut and a 180 a couple of times and even have raced it to show some punks its not a slug w/ some style but for the most part I drive it normally w/ a few sprints here and there just cause the car was given its power for a reason and well continue to get things for it to better it, not hotrodding it though because that is just too much for my wallet.

Members online

No members online now.
Back