Would you buy a Taurus SHO over the MKS?

captainalias

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Ford's getting their version of the MKS, with less luxury, in the form of the 2010 Ford SHO.

The 2010 Taurus is getting the twin turbo EcoBoost, packing 340-350HP, AWD, and the suspension from the MKS. It probably wouldn't be as luxurious as the MKS, but it might be easier on the wallet.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-taurus-2010.html

I'd definitely go with a 2010 Taurus SHO over a 2010 Buick Lacrosse

To answer your question: MKS over the SHO for sure.
Have you seen this thing?

http://www.lincoln.com/reachhigher

I would honestly not buy it. The front end looks great, but the back... terrible. CTS wins hands down.... that is if I dont get an 06 LS first.

The only buick worth buying would be the old Grand National.... as previously stated.

I would honestly not buy it. The front end looks great, but the back... terrible. CTS wins hands down.... that is if I dont get an 06 LS first.

The only buick worth buying would be the old Grand National.... as previously stated.

I agree, the front of the MKS looks great, but it's a little on the large side. ~12" longer than my LS, and I hear the trunk design is a bit unwieldy.

What's wrong with the back it looks nice to me.
http://flickr.com/photos/ktadeo/2753372187/
http://flickr.com/photos/zanemerva/2741614782/

I agree, the front of the MKS looks great, but it's a little on the large side. ~12" longer than my LS, and I hear the trunk design is a bit unwieldy.

Yes it is...it is really tall.
I was having an arguement about the MKS, with my dad. I said it was huge, he said it wasnt. I was incredulous, until I remembered he drivves an '02 Crown Vic...so...its small for him, and huge for me...I still say he is wrong:shifty:

Yes it is...it is really tall.
I was having an arguement about the MKS, with my dad. I said it was huge, he said it wasnt. I was incredulous, until I remembered he drivves an '02 Crown Vic...so...its small for him, and huge for me...I still say he is wrong:shifty:

It's smaller than the Town Car for sure, but it's still a bit on the large side for a "sporty" car. On the other hand, I'm over 6", and I feel a bit cramped in my LS, so maybe the MKS is of the right proportions.

BTW, great pic you have there bigbuck.

http://flickr.com/photos/zanemerva/2741614782/

I love the rims on the 19" wheels. Amazing, Lincoln has a modern set of rims for once.

Don't get me wrong, if I had $50K to spend, I'd get an MKS. But since I don't, I'd go for a 2010 SHO or wait a couple years to get a used EcoBoosted MKS. :)

I say LS > all of them! I'm very dissapointed at Lincolns replacement for the LS. Caddy screwed up with the catera.... they made up for it big time with the CTS and CTS-v. Lincoln NAILED the LS and then down graded to the MKS? oh well time to build an old merc cruiser

I say LS > all of them! I'm very dissapointed at Lincolns replacement for the LS. Caddy screwed up with the catera.... they made up for it big time with the CTS and CTS-v. Lincoln NAILED the LS and then down graded to the MKS? oh well time to build an old merc cruiser

I have an LS, and frankly, the interior looks cheap and plasticky compared to the MKS.

Ford's Updated Picture of the SHO- more details to come in February.

005_00taurus2010ab.jpg

2010 Ford Taurus SHO revealed (certainly puts the current Taurus to shame):

The foundation of the 2010 Taurus SHO is a 3.5-liter twin-turbocharged EcoBoost V6 engine, which delivers 365 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 350 pound-feet of torque at 3,500 rpm. Clearly, the definition of “Super High Output” has changed over the years — the last SHO had just 235 hp, while its predecessor had only 220 hp.

The SHO further separates itself from lesser Taurus models with a beefed up suspension that includes SHO-specific shock absorbers, springs, stabilizer bars and strut mount bushings. Furthermore, the new SHO also features Ford's new SR1 suspension setup with MacPherson front struts and a multi-link set up in the rear. We'll have to wait for a test drive to determine for sure, but the SHO's suspension should be noticeably sharper than that of the standard Taurus and its other platform-mate, the Lincoln MKS. There will even be an optional Performance Package that includes better brake pads, recalibrated steering, a "Sport Mode" for the stability control system and shorter 3.16 to 1 final drive ratio. Nineteen-inch wheels wrapped in Goodyear Eagle rubber will be standard, while 20-inchers wearing Michelin high-performance summer tires will also be available.

I guess we can expect similar numbers for the EcoBoost on the Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Version.

Mated to AWD with 6-spd tranny. Engine cover is a bit boring looking. Not much exterior wise to distinguish that it's a SHO, except for perhaps the extra vents, and large dual exhausts.

Here's the rest of the press release:

The 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6 also uses twin turbochargers, as opposed to a single unit. The reduced size of each turbocharger results in reduced internal inertia, allowing this advanced engine to avoid the “turbo lag” often prevalent in earlier-generation turbocharged vehicles. Meanwhile, direct injection promises improved fuel economy and a smoother response from the engine.

The new Taurus SHO driveline combines a six-speed 6F55 SelectShift transmission with standard torque-sensing all-wheel-drive. The six-speed transmission offers a wide array of gears to enable quick acceleration, yet comfortable high-speed cruising, through a 2.77 to 1 final drive ratio. SelectShift provides conventional automatic operation or a manual shift mode that gives the driver complete control via paddle shifters. For performance-minded drivers, paddle controls allow “match-rev” downshifts and will hold manually selected gears for precise control.

For the discriminating automotive enthusiast, Taurus SHO offers an available SHO Performance Package consisting of upgraded brake pads, recalibrated power-assisted steering for even more responsiveness, a “Sport Mode” setting for the standard AdvanceTrac Electronic Stability Control and a shorter 3.16 to 1 final drive ratio for faster acceleration. Summer-compound 20-inch Goodyear Eagle F1 performance tires on premium painted wheels also are included.

Standard features include: push-button start, the Easy Fuel capless fuel filler, Ford SYNC with voice activation, and ambient lighting. Also standard is MyKey, which enables the owner to set specific limits for certain operators, such as new drivers. These ‘parental controls’ include the ability to set an 80 mph speed limiter, stereo volume limiter, consistently-engaged stability control, speed chimes, a persistent safety belt reminder, and earlier low-fuel warning.

Options include a reverse camera, radar-based adaptive cruise control, blind spot alert, Cross Traffic Alert (for reversing into traffic), massaging seats, voice-activated navigation, and a 12 speaker 390-watt Sony sound system.

Sho Exterior.jpg

SHO Interior.jpg

SHO Interior_2.jpg

SHO Interior_3.jpg

EcoBoost Cover.jpg

SHO .75.jpg

or GSX :) Anyways I like the interior on the SHO, but aren't they FWD and no V8= no interest from me. I'd go with the Cadillac CTS-V 556HP???? OH YEA!

or GSX :) Anyways I like the interior on the SHO, but aren't they FWD and no V8= no interest from me. I'd go with the Cadillac CTS-V 556HP???? OH YEA!

No, SHO has AWD with paddle-shifts. It would be crazy torque steer if they tried to mount the EcoBoost with the FWD.

Yeah, but the CTS-V is around 2.5x as much as the SHO.

I think Ford finally made a car I could see someday replacing the LS with. That new Taurus looks real good.

Lincoln=status

I'd rather the SHO.
And it'll be even better this time that it's not just a one off, Yamaha engine with no part availability.

Ford is turning things around, slowly.
The Fiesta, the perennial favorite- the Mustang, and the new Taurus look great. And a Fiesta ST, a Focus ST, the various Mustangs, and the SHO will give enthusiasts of all kinds reason to buy American again.

I'd rather the SHO.
And it'll be even better this time that it's not just a one off, Yamaha engine with no part availability.

Ford is turning things around, slowly.
The Fiesta, the perennial favorite- the Mustang, and the new Taurus look great. And a Fiesta ST, a Focus ST, the various Mustangs, and the SHO will give enthusiasts of all kinds reason to buy American again.

I agree, Ford really turned things around quickly, unlike GM. If we get out of this economic mess, Ford actually might be able come out ahead.

Members online

Back