Won't Shift Out of Park

BradGroves

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey,
My 97 LSC decided not to move out of my garage this afternoon. It ran fine this morning, and now it won't shift out of park. The brake lights wont light either. Anyone have any insight on how to fix this brake release, could it be a fuse? Any knowledge would be helpful, thanks.

Im having some trouble diagnosing this and its hard to get to the fuses because im in the garage and the door is not able to open quite wide enough. Shouldnt I be able to get it into neutral somehow? (so i can get it out of the garage) And does anyone have a fuse diagram or know where the brakelight fuse is on a 1997 mark?

you need to pop the trunk, pull the carpet back on the trunk lid, unplug your neon tail light on the trunk lid, then change the brake light fuse, what happens is the neon shorts out, blows the fuse for the shift interlock solenoid, you cant take the car out of park, so you dont drive it and get rear ended because the tail lights are all out, pretty neat huh? more like a big pain in the ass!! i realize it might be hard to open the door, but you need to, or get 2 wheel dollies and put them under the rear tires and push the car into the driveway then open the door!

I just read somewhere else that this is what I need to do, thanks for the confirmation. As soon as I replaced the fuse it blew out again, brake light on for a second then gone, definitely the problem. I am trying to disconnect the pig tail but this one seems to be tougher than usual. I don't wanna break anything. It has those two red tabs on the outside of it that seem like they can be depressed. Whats the secret?

make sure the brake light switch on the brake pedal is on there tight and still working

I had to replace mine, couldn't get it out of park and would blow the fuse every time

I just read somewhere else that this is what I need to do, thanks for the confirmation. As soon as I replaced the fuse it blew out again, brake light on for a second then gone, definitely the problem. I am trying to disconnect the pig tail but this one seems to be tougher than usual. I don't wanna break anything. It has those two red tabs on the outside of it that seem like they can be depressed. Whats the secret?

i dont think you are at the right plug, open the trunk and look at the carpet that is attached to the trunk lid, remove a few of the black plastic push pins that hold the carpet to the trunk lid, near the right lower corner of the lid, the corner that would be closest to the bumper if the trunk is shut. you will see a black plug, it has a green wire, red wire, and a black wire in it, and right next to it is a ground wire that is attached to the trunk lid itself with a green 8 mm bolt. that black plug is what you need to unplug then change the fuse, but leave the neon unplugged until you can buy a new ballast from glitch and fix it so it works again and wont blow the fuse again.

if you need to move the car, put the key in the ignition and turn it to the very first position, youll be able to move the shifter............

if you need to move the car, put the key in the ignition and turn it to the very first position, youll be able to move the shifter............
turn key to accessories put car in neutral and start it

mine also blew this fuse then the cruise deactivation switch shorted out (yes the recall one) so id also try unplugging that too

My 97 is doing the same thing...

Can someone please tell me which fuse it is in the panel? I don't have my manual to help me.

HELP ME PLZ!!!

Thanks...

whatever one is blown, pull them out one at a time until you find it jeeeeze its not that friggin hard!

whatever one is blown, pull them out one at a time until you find it jeeeeze its not that friggin hard!

actually an ohm meter would be even easier than that huh, but telling me how to do it wasn't the request now was it?

always a crybaby needing to be spoon fed too. and if you dont like dicks, you came to the wrong site because this place is crawling with them. welcome to lvc!!! dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

by the way, you are obviously plain ass lazy, because if you dont have your manual, you sure the hell had internet, do a search.

always a crybaby needing to be spoon fed too. and if you dont like dicks, you came to the wrong site because this place is crawling with them. welcome to lvc!!! dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

by the way, you are obviously plain ass lazy, because if you dont have your manual, you sure the hell had internet, do a search.

Hey look, another internet badazz, go figure!! Go :q:q:q:q yourself, tool! I did a search and it took me to this thread, dumbass! your a smart one aren't you!!

Groan...

I try to not rag on paid members too much, but God damn it, some of them like you need a nice eye opener now and then. There's a new one to spoon feed every other day, it seems.

It's not a matter of being an internet badass, it's a matter of members becoming sick and tired of jackasses like yourself who only come here to get answers. Paid membership or no, it doesn't entitle you to have someone drop everything they're doing so they can help your lazy, incompetent ass. It's called a "community" for a reason. It's not called a "free information, drop everything to help me because I demand this of you" place.

I'd be careful whom I annoy on these here forums if I were you. You see, someone in your position, someone who doesn't have the common sense God gave a retarded ferret, shouldn't make "enemies" of people who know more about Mark VIII's than you'll ever comprehend. Because when you do, all you're left with is the Search function. And since you're too God damned stupid to properly use it, well, then you're stuck with asking. Problem is when people don't like you, you might as well ask the pet mouse in your pocket.

Telling members here to go copulate with themselves is not the brightest and best way to get help in the future. The "internet badass" you're referring to has torn enough Mark VIII's apart to likely tell you what color a certain electrical connector is, or what that one wire color goes to. He may be a dick, but he does know his Mark VIII's. So check your attitude at the door.

Sure, you'll luck out now and then with nice people like Brentalan who will spoonfeed you the information you're too dumb to gather for yourself, but people like him are far and few between. Furthermore, you annoy the "regulars", even the nice "regulars" who would have otherwise helped you will read the post containing your next problem and move along. Remember, the InterwebZ have a long memory.

You say you searched and found this thread? I find the timing of this unlikely. You saw the thread title and your 3 brain cells fired, telling you to click on the thread title. Of course, you can argue this fact, but I know better.

And ohmmeter wouldn't do jack for you in diagnosing your problem. Wanna know why? Of course you do. Much easier than trying to educate yourself. I would tell you, but like a lot of people here, I don't like spoon feeding ungrateful, entitled mentality brats like yourself.

See ya next time you have a problem. Pray I don't see your thread, because I do know how to use the search function and will post a link to this thread with posthaste. That way, the nice people who would have helped you out will see your piss poor attitude and move along.

Now, you can (and likely will) write a nice, in-comprehensive rant to what I told you. That's fine by me. You're not the first and you won't be the last. This I will tell you and save you from searching.

Now, sod off.

lmfao thanks frogman! by the way nast97, i'm a badass in person too! i feel my head getting swollen, must back out of thread....

Members online

No members online now.
Back