Wiring in a new head unit. What will I need?

Chromebrow

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Could someone throw me a couple part numbers that I will need to instal my new radio. I went to Best Buy and they couldnt figure out what I needed.

I am putting in the new radio, an amp and a sub, Id like to wire the radio to the stock speakers and the amp just to my sub.

Thanks

Its not that easy. If you wire your head unit to the speakers, it will pass through the factory amp. Which you will either blow out or not be happy with. Make sure the head unit you get does not have pre-out voltage if you use the factory amp. And the tweeters, if you have the premium stock setup, may sound like crap.

It not easy to do a quick and cheap setup on these. Especially if you have the premium JBL stock system, which you can identify with small tweeters in the doors where they meet the dash.

Its doable, but dont expect it to sound very good with factory speakers and amp.

i disagree. my alpine running my stock JBL amp sounded great for years.
i'm also told the jbl system is tuned for the speakers. so running aftermarket speakers may reduce sound quality. but again, i didn't have any problems.. your mileage may vary.

i disagree. my alpine running my stock JBL amp sounded great for years.
i'm also told the jbl system is tuned for the speakers. so running aftermarket speakers may reduce sound quality. but again, i didn't have any problems.. your mileage may vary.

Like so many things, a "good sounding system" is subjective. If any portion of the system is changed there will al alteration in the output, for better or worse. So changing the head unit, which is designed for he factory amp, will change things.

If you keep the factory speakers you need to keep the factory amp. The reason why is the EQ and x-over in the amp is what allows the speakers to sound partially decient.

But even swapping the speakers out to some $80 Boston SEs and running them off the decks internal amp will make a gigantic difference!

I just heard Jacksuns factory amp/speakers being driven off his Clarion deck and it didnt sound half bad. But they couldnt hold a candle to the Bostons and Infinitys that replaced them.

Wire harness:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...oogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=froogle

I know its not easy, thats why ive waited so long. Im happy enough with the stock sound i just wanted to add in my sub which of course will need an amp. The deck i have is a JVC and the only real reason im using ot is because its hd and sat ready. Ive been running an add in sat unit from an fm modulator and jusy want to clean it up, its been over a year now with wires all over my car cause i knew it wasnt going to stay long.
So should i just bypass all the factory amp and wire harness and run new wires to the stock speakers from my deck?
As you can probably tell im really no good at this, ive done a few older systems but nothing with stock amps etc. And yes i have the jbl premium system.
Thanks for the tips.

I originally ran my stock speakers through the radio. I then got a radio that does not have a built in amp so now I run them off of an amp. The amp is really a sub amp that does mids too and only goes to 800 hz but I know its going higher because I can tell in my equalizer and it would sound like pure garbage otherwise. My stock speakers havent blown yet so until they do or I find a really good deal on some Im going to keep it like it is. Also amps for highs are really expensive.

I know very little about amps can anyone tell me why I am getting highs higher than 800 hz?

So should i just bypass all the factory amp and wire harness and run new wires to the stock speakers from my deck?
As you can probably tell im really no good at this, ive done a few older systems but nothing with stock amps etc. And yes i have the jbl premium system.
Thanks for the tips.
Reread the first two lines of my previous post.
I originally ran my stock speakers through the radio. I then got a radio that does not have a built in amp so now I run them off of an amp. The amp is really a sub amp that does mids too and only goes to 800 hz but I know its going higher because I can tell in my equalizer and it would sound like pure garbage otherwise. My stock speakers havent blown yet so until they do or I find a really good deal on some Im going to keep it like it is. Also amps for highs are really expensive.

I know very little about amps can anyone tell me why I am getting highs higher than 800 hz?

I dont know where to start.
Sub amp that runs mids? No such thing.
Amp that only goes to 800hz? Never seen one. Usually 300-500hz is the limit of a class D monoblock.
Human voice is 800hz so guitars, cymbols, horns etc etc are 200hz-13k and if you are hearing them then your believed amp specs are wrong or you are in fact still running the JBL amp.

Four channel amps are not expensive. Best bang for the buck is an Infinity 475a. You can find them new for $160 and used for under $100. They have spectacular souns and have around 600 watts so they are quite powerful.

Now if you are looking at a McIntosh... well they are around $2000 so yeah, thats expensive.

Members online

No members online now.
Back