Winterizing an Oregon MarkVIII

olddavid

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
This will sound stupid since I've spent many years living and working in Canada, and at the altitude of the 1988 Olympics, too. However, old age and caution have me wondering if I'm approaching this project sensibly. I plan to spend January in Cardston, Alberta, Canada. My 83 year old Mother needs some company, and my wife and son need a break from my near-onset dementia. I've heard that in some states, justifiable homicide has been ruled for women with recently retired husbands they shot in self-defense of their sanity. My '98 LSC has -20 Prestone, the broken blend door has been moved to permanent heat until spring or a heated garage can be found, a set of Michelin X-Ice 235x55x17 are about to be mounted on a set of 17" Fondmetal F1 wheels, and the door handle is drying from the new coat of Toreador Red applied last night after the drivers side decided it was through being a one-piece device. I'm thinking a saddle soap and conditioner application should be done, too, in anticipation of below zero temps and accompanying leather stiffness. My goal is to come out of this winter with my beloved car being none the worse for wear and getting to drive it, too. I decided this year no more winter beaters, partly because I defied the karma gods buying a Catera that I believed I was getting early enough to avoid any pitfalls (57k miles), and partly because my wife - imposed automotive budget was murdered by that damn Opel. Funny how things you agree on end up biting you in the ass later, isn't it? Anyway, I want you Minnesota and Wisconsin and Illinois and Michigan guys to tell me what I'm forgetting. My worst nightmare is the car on the "hook" being towed to my Mother's house - 700 miles from my parts and moral support base. Plus, I'm related to half the town, so the jokes at my expense would be merciless. My relatives already believe me unhinged, so this would affirm their suspicions. Help me, fellow Lincolnians. Thanks for all the timely advice and encouragement through the years. Merry Christmas to you all - and Happy New Year! DaveP

Dave, all that sounds good. I'd have the battery checked and replaced if needed. Coolant sounds good too, but I'd have it double checked just to be sure.

I'm glad I don't have to drive the marks in winter anymore.
, they just aren't suited for it.

Take care bud.

94m5-You're always a gentleman and quick with smart advice. Thank you and Happy New Year - Dave ps - let it freeze??

Yep, wash it let it freeze.
Don't let it thaw, refreeze, thaw refreeze by parking in a heated garage.

Members online

Back