Windshield trim/moulding removal tips?

dRock95MarkVIII

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Before I attempt it, anyone have any tips on removing the moulding that surrounds the front windshield? I did a few searches but didn't come up with anything relevant.

I read the service manual R&I directions and see there are rivets along the a-pillar visible when the weatherstripping is pulled back and some type of retainers along the top. A 'special' thin pry bar tool is specified.
Once the rivets are drilled out, do I just yank/pry the trim up and off? Is it prone to snapping or anything?

It looks to be 2 piece with a small seam in the center of the top, unless that is just a molding ridge.

I ask because the roof is soon to be repainted and I'd rather not have a visible tape line if I don't have to!

pull back the weather strip inside the door along the windshield, there are 5 rivets on each side of the car if no one has ever changed the glass already, drill them out, the top of that trim is just snapped into clips along the top edge of the glass, the seam in the center is held together with a flat piece of metal and strong staples, when you drill out the rivets and go to remove it, be gentle along the top of the glass that trim is super thin aluminum and very easy to wreck. if you do by chance wreck it, i have a few in mint condition, that little piece of crap was over $300 bucks when you COULD get it lol! get some 1/8 inch aluminum short rivets to reinstall it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back