Window Tint Cost

Gunther1000

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
What have you paid to have it done in your area?

Anyone dare do there own?

I am in need of a tint removal and retint. (will cost more im sure)

I made the mistake or pulling off my old tint on the rear window... Tons of little air bubbles and it is a very very light tint. Now the glue is more trouble than I care to attempt myself so I will be taking it in.

Just curious what you guys have paid.

With so many tinted windows on here it seems like a good place to ask.

*I plan on going with 20% this time around. I did 35% on the catera and while I feel that 35% looks good on most cars this black beauty needs 20! :cool:

It's probably the most expensive around me. I paid 275.

dont do it yourself.

In most cases, it will be a low quality film and look like crap (unless you have experience doing this).

I got all four windows and the eyebrow strip done with madico onyx film (high quality stuff, around 50% heat reduction) for $200. Most places will remove any old tint for free.

The percentage also depends on your state, most shops will only do as dark as the legal limit. Some will go darker, but may charge extra. I went as dark as i could legally, which is 20/25/25 for my state.

Oh and when a shop does it, they care care of it if it ever starts to peel or fade. Or if a window gets broken, they may retint that glass for free.

paid $220 for all windows and a strip across the front, dont try it your self unless you know what your doing, they make chemical to strip tint off nice and easily, on all of the glass EXCEPT the rear piece you can use a straight razor, but because of the defroster grid you cant do this on the back unless you want to destroy the defroster grid.

i went with 5% all the way around except for the front two windows, they where 35%

Most places will remove any old tint for free.

Most places ask specifically if you have had tint before, because they charge extra to deal with it.

I get a whole car done by a guy that has been doing it for 20 years for $100. Average for a four-door seems to be $150-$200.

Simple Green and a steamer work well to get the old adhesive off. It is better to get the adhesive to come off with the tint. See my post #3 here:
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=38316

I removed my old tint and got all the glue off with a razor blade and rubbing alcohol. It was a pain. But not terrible.

If I had to do it again. I would just have someone steam it off properly.

Anyways it was $180 for 5% all around.

LOL, the dude who owned the place was a childhood friend of an ex of mine, so it worked out in my favor :D

yea thats a hell of a deal, he probably just charged you for the cost of tint

Thanks, Was that a strip and re-do or just stock naked to tinted?

And what level of dark did you go with?

that was from stock clean windows, and adding tint. Can't imagine it would add too much to strip the old stuff.

damn pektel, i hoped they used lube when u payed that jk.

Not alot of competition up here in northern mn. I'm sure in warmer, sunnier climates (CA, FL, TX) there are many more tint shops than around here. There are 2 places within 50 miles from me that do tint. One was 270, the other was 275. I went with the more expensive one because they could get me in right away.

I think it was like 160 for me

I paid 200 for all 5% on my LS a few years ago in Phoenix. I think they originally quoted me 180, but since having all 5% is illegal I paid an extra 20 to round it out to 200. I live in New Mexico now and here you can usually get your car done for about about 25-30 a window.

Pektel - There are a ton of tint shops here in the Arizona and New Mexico. On a good day in either state you could get it done for 80-120.

I'm an ex-Tint Shop owner. $250 is a fair deal for a strip and re-tint with a quality job and warranty.

I am not sure about removal but we ordered our window tint from a company called SnapTint. We got a great deal on our tint. You can get more information and current prices by going to their website.

For the amount of work needed (shoot I hate just windexing all the windows!) I think $250 is fair. I mean I'll pay that once and have something that should last a long time Fair enough. I'll see what the shop that did my catera wants to strip and redo this mess.

IIRC it was like $135? for 35% all around on clean stock windows.

It would almost be worth $100 to let them play with this glue.

I put about 20 minutes of 3m adhesive remover and razor blade work on it before clearing a spot about the size of a dollar not even dealing with the defrost line yet so they can have the job! :mad:

Thanks guys! Seems pretty universal price wise (unless you have great lips or a hook up) :D

Members online

No members online now.
Back