Will a 2003 steering wheel fit a 2002?

Exactly why I wait a half hour to work on it, and make sure I touch a ground point before touching anything else to discharge static. BTW in that video the airbags went off due to slamming a door causing a trigger point. Plugging or unplugging the airbag connector doesn't itself cause a trigger, plus the connector has a shorting bar built in.

From the service manual....

Depowering Procedure

WARNING:

Always wear safety glasses when repairing an air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) vehicle and when handling an air bag module. This will reduce the risk of injury in the event of an accidental deployment.
Never probe the connectors on the air bag module. Doing so can result in air bag deployment, which can result in personal injury.
The safety belt pretensioner is a pyrotechnic device. Always wear safety glasses when repairing an air bag equipped vehicle and when handling a safety belt buckle pretensioner or safety belt retractor pretensioner. Never probe a pretensioner electrical connector. Doing so could result in pretensioner or air bag deployment and could result in personal injury.
To reduce the risk of personal injury, do not use any memory saver devices.

NOTE:

If a seat equipped with a seat mounted side air bag and/or a safety belt pretensioner (if equipped) system is being serviced, the supplemental restraint system (SRS) must be depowered.
The air bag warning lamp illuminates when the RCM fuse is removed and the ignition switch is ON. This is normal operation and does not indicate a supplemental restraint system (SRS) fault.
The SRS must be fully operational and free of faults before releasing the vehicle to the customer.

Turn all vehicle accessories OFF.
Turn the ignition switch to OFF.
Remove the RH kick panel cover and remove the restraints control module fuse F2.05 (10A) from the central junction box (CJB).
Turn the ignition ON and visually monitor the air bag indicator for at least 30 seconds . The air bag indicator will remain lit continuously (no flashing) if the correct RCM fuse has been removed. If the air bag indicator does not remain lit continuously, remove the correct RCM fuse before proceeding.
Turn the ignition OFF.
WARNING: To avoid accidental deployment and possible personal injury, the backup power supply must be depleted before repairing or replacing any front or side air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) components and before servicing, replacing, adjusting or striking components near the front or side air bag sensors, such as doors, instrument panel, console, door latches, strikers, seats and hood latches.

The first row side impact sensors are located at or near the base of the B-pillars.

The second row side impact sensors (if equipped) are located at or near the base of the C-pillars.

To deplete the backup power supply energy, disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least 1 minute. Be sure to disconnect auxiliary batteries and power supplies (if equipped).

Disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least 1 minute .

Exactly why I wait a half hour to work on it, and make sure I touch a ground point before touching anything else to discharge static. BTW in that video the airbags went off due to slamming a door causing a trigger point. Plugging or unplugging the airbag connector doesn't itself cause a trigger, plus the connector has a shorting bar built in.

1. You can no longer say that you have never heard of an airbag going off in a parked car. BTW, that was just one of many examples out there.
2. Waiting a half hour doesn't accomplish much if you didn't disconnect the battery first.

Yes, the odds are very much in your favor, but why not take the correct precautions and be certain that you will be okay?

Factory procedure:
Depowering Procedure

WARNING: Always wear safety glasses when repairing an air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) vehicle and when handling an air bag module. This will reduce the risk of injury in the event of an accidental deployment.

WARNING: Never probe the connectors on the air bag module. Doing so can result in air bag deployment, which can result in personal injury.

WARNING: The safety belt pretensioner is a pyrotechnic device. Always wear safety glasses when repairing an air bag equipped vehicle and when handling a safety belt buckle pretensioner or safety belt retractor pretensioner. Never probe a pretensioner electrical connector. Doing so could result in pretensioner or air bag deployment and could result in personal injury.

WARNING: To reduce the risk of personal injury, do not use any memory saver devices.

NOTE: If a seat equipped with a supplemental restraint system (SRS) component is being serviced, the SRS must be depowered.

NOTE: The air bag warning lamp illuminates when the RCM fuse is removed and the ignition switch is ON. This is normal operation and does not indicate a supplemental restraint system (SRS) fault.

NOTE: The SRS must be fully operational and free of faults before releasing the vehicle to the customer.

Turn all vehicle accessories OFF.

Turn the ignition switch to OFF.

Remove the RH kick panel cover and remove the restraints control module fuse 5 (10A) from the central junction box (CJB). For additional information, refer to the Wiring Diagram Manual.

Turn the ignition ON and visually monitor the air bag indicator for at least 30 seconds. The air bag indicator will remain lit continuously (no flashing) if the correct RCM fuse has been removed. If the air bag indicator does not remain lit continuously, remove the correct RCM fuse before proceeding.

Turn the ignition OFF.

WARNING: To avoid accidental deployment and possible personal injury, the backup power supply must be depleted before repairing or replacing any front or side air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) components and before servicing, replacing, adjusting or striking components near the front or side air bag sensors, such as doors, instrument panel, console, door latches, strikers, seats and hood latches.

The first row side impact sensors are located at or near the base of the B-pillars.

The second row side impact sensors (if equipped) are located at or near the base of the C-pillars.

To deplete the backup power supply energy, disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least 1 minute. Be sure to disconnect auxiliary batteries and power supplies (if equipped).
Disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least one minute. For additional information, refer to Section 414-00 .

Edit: Credit to LS4me for beating me to it...

I did disconnect the battery for a more involved procedure when changing the clockspring but didn't feel this situation warranted that and accepted the risk. If it was a car with a more expensive airbag, I'd reconsider.

I did disconnect the battery for a more involved procedure when changing the clockspring but didn't feel this situation warranted that and accepted the risk. If it was a car with a more expensive airbag, I'd reconsider.

It's not about the expense of the airbag. It's about the thing blowing up in your face and killing you!

those electronic stuff rarely work properly on LS.

there's a bigger chance the TC would turn off on cold temp than the airbags.

those electronic stuff rarely work properly on LS.

That is perhaps a problem with yours, but both of mine haven't had any electronic problems. I don't think that "rarely" is the right word. Maybe "usually" would be more accurate.

I'm not doing this now. Thanks for the info lol

Atikovi, where did you find gen 2 cars at around DC? I need another wheel for my '05 in dove grey. At $15 it's worth the road trip.

There is a silver 03 at Crazy Rays Jessup where I got one steering wheel. Not sure what shade Dove is but I'll be listing both my gray wheels on Ebay.

Members online

Back