Will a 2003 steering wheel fit a 2002?

atikovi

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Saw a nice wood trimmed wheel in the junkyard from a 2003. Would it fit my 2002? On Ebay I see 2000-02 or 2003 and up for sale. What is the difference?

Saw a nice wood trimmed wheel in the junkyard from a 2003. Would it fit my 2002? On Ebay I see 2000-02 or 2003 and up for sale. What is the difference?

2000-2002 is gen I.
2003-2006 is gen II.
There are some major changes between gen I and gen II. Many parts will not swap between generations. I don't know if the wheel would bolt on or not (probably will), but the airbag will probably be wrong.
It would be safer to wait and find a gen I wood trimmed wheel. I have two gen II LSes, one with the wood steering wheel and one without. I have to warn you that the wood sections get burning hot in the summer time.

Let me know if it fits. I like the Gen II steering wheel better and have been wondering the same thing. I also don't have a wood grain wheel, so any upgrade would be nice - assuming it's an easy swap.

Fits perfect. The wheel is just a tad darker but not something you would really notice if not pointed out.

standard.gif

Did you just get the steering wheel itself and put your radio, cruise control and air bag in it or did it come with everything?

Yes just the wheel, wasn't going to pay for parts I already had. And the 2003 airbag wouldn't work because it has two connectors.

Also picked one up for my 2000.

standard.gif

Tools needed are an awl to remove the covers over the airbag retaining screws (a small screw driver doesn't work too well), an 8mm deep socket for those screws, a T25 bit for the cruise and audio switches and the horn plate, T50 bit for the steering wheel bolt, and a generic puller. An impact wrench and power driver make this a 10 minute job.

standard.gif

Ok cool yea just had my steering wheel off to replace the clock spring im actually wanting to get rid of the wood grain was going to see if I can have it professionally wrapped but maybe if I find one in my color without the wood ill get that and now that I know all LS steering wheels will work already replaced the shift knob cus I hate the woodgrain

Odd..... I would like to trade my 2nd gen steering wheel for a 1st gen. I like the Lincoln emblem on the 1st gen much better.

Odd how some folks prefer the wood grain yet so many are trying to cover it up and rid the entire insides of that fake look.

Good job nonetheless. Great tools, made quick work of that. +1

The emblem is on the airbag not the steering wheel and they can't be switched.

That I know..... If the steering wheels were interchangeable I figured the airbags would be too. I guess not.

I'm so afraid to mess around with the airbag, that's really the only thing keeping me from doing this. I wonder how much it takes to accidentally set that thing off.

I'm so afraid to mess around with the airbag, that's really the only thing keeping me from doing this. I wonder how much it takes to accidentally set that thing off.

Unplug the battery for at least 10 minutes to deplete the retained charge and work away..

Everyone who gets into my car always likes the wood trim, but personally I would rather have it black.

I have never heard of an airbag going off by itself in a parked car.

The SRS keeps a short duration charge to fire the airbag if power is cutoff in an accident. The charge can also be detonated if a spark is generated when unplugging the connector.

The SRS keeps a short duration charge to fire the airbag if power is cutoff in an accident. The charge can also be detonated if a spark is generated when unplugging the connector.

Exactly why I wait a half hour to work on it, and make sure I touch a ground point before touching anything else to discharge static. BTW in that video the airbags went off due to slamming a door causing a trigger point. Plugging or unplugging the airbag connector doesn't itself cause a trigger, plus the connector has a shorting bar built in.

Members online

No members online now.
Back