Wifes LS died...30 minutes later fired back up..?

Dykzeulb

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Wife called me yesterday, her car had just died after crossing a bridge, she said she had hit a small bump and done.. I get there 30 minutes later turned the key, and wa la...it fired back up.. No SEL lights, no overheating...what the hell could be the culprit? She has been driving it normal since, and no signs.. Any ideas? Its an 02 with the V8

bait car / killswitch...... lol jk dunno just commenting to keep updated in case i have same trouble one day

Is the battery secured well? Mine shifted, it was close to contacting other metal... maybe yours shorted out on something during the bump (check clearances on both posts and cables)... My battery was another brand/size and moved. (I know you said the cables are tight).

Check the relays and relay sockets in the trunk, especially since there is moisture there. Do you have the correct battery with the vent tube connected?

Was the bump hard enough to partially engage the fuel cut-off switch?

What is the TPS? I dont think there is a tube, just an optima, which is a gel based, so that shouldnt be an issue. Where is the fuel cutoff switch, I looked on the inside trunk panels, but saw nothing, usually thats where ford puts them, I had another mechanic tell me there wasnt one..

EMP...Lol...someone has been playing too much COD

What is the TPS? I dont think there is a tube, just an optima, which is a gel based, so that shouldnt be an issue. Where is the fuel cutoff switch, I looked on the inside trunk panels, but saw nothing, usually thats where ford puts them, I had another mechanic tell me there wasnt one..

ALL fuel injected cars have one. Driver's foot well kick panel. There is an opening you reach into and reset the switch. Just push down.

The inertia fuel shutoff (IFS) switch (Figure 76) is used in conjunction with the electric fuel pump. The purpose of the IFS switch is to shut off the fuel pump if a collision occurs. It consists of a steel ball held in place by a magnet. When a sharp impact occurs, the ball breaks loose from the magnet, rolls up a conical ramp and strikes a target plate which opens the electrical contacts of the switch and shuts off the electric fuel pump. Once the switch is open, it must be manually reset before restarting the vehicle. Refer to the Owner Guide for the location of the IFS.

TPS = Throttle Position Sensor. It's on the throttle body.

Optima batteries, like all lead acid batteries (gel included), will vent hydrogen if short circuited or if you have certain alternator malfunctions. (We've even had a rep for Optima on the site that pointed this out.) If you want to take the risk, fine. However you should warn any and all passengers. Personally, my wife is too important to me to take the chance.

Fuel cutoff is in the driver's kick panel.

Don't go to that "other mechanic" again. BTW, your owner's manual identifies the fuel cutoff switch and its use.

Members online

No members online now.
Back