Wife wrecked my 1998 mark VIII, what airbags parts do I replace?

humfrydog11

LVC Member
Reaction score
OK first off yes I am a newbie and yes I tried searching first. I found multiple threads with multiple answers that only confused me more. So lets start fresh ok.
My wife rear ended a truck because she always follows too close......
Both drivers and passengers airbag deployed, she was driver no passenger.
I was able to remove the hood, cut off old airbags with razor blade and drive the car home.

I have rounded up the following parts: drivers airbag, passenger airbag, clock spring with harness and attaching black module on column and blue module behind radio.

Do i need sensors mounted on uprights behind grill fwd of radiator?
Do i need to replace part or all of drivers and or passenger seat belts?
Do i need to clear codes or antyhting special prior to turning key after installing airbags and modules?

I will have battery disconnected for parts install and will be wearing rubber gloves to avoid static electricity. Also I will be pulling my dash out to do passenger airbag and yet another blend air door, such is life. I just want to make sure I do this right and don't deploy my my new airbags or forget to replace a part I should have. I have the body work nearly finished, just minor details so now its time for air bags. All help appreciated thank you.

OK first off yes I am a newbie and yes I tried searching first. I found multiple threads with multiple answers that only confused me more. So lets start fresh ok.
I was able to remove the hood, cut off old airbags with razor blade and drive the car home.

I have rounded up the following parts: drivers airbag, passenger airbag, clock spring with harness and attaching black module on column and blue module behind radio.

Do i need to clear codes or antyhting special prior to turning key after installing airbags and modules?

I will have battery disconnected for parts install and will be wearing rubber gloves to avoid static electricity. Also I will be pulling my dash out to do passenger airbag and yet another blend air door, such is life. I just want to make sure I do this right and don't deploy my my new airbags or forget to replace a part I should have. I have the body work nearly finished, just minor details so now its time for air bags. All help appreciated thank you.

I would replace the air bag sensors, the seat belts should be fine if they still lock properly. That's my opinion, can't really help with anything else but there are guys on here that have rebuilt after a front end impact. Hope they chime in for ya.

Unfortunately you will indeed have to either dig deeper or ask on my community page. There are quite a few front end rebuilds but each is different in its own way. Depending on how bad it was. One thing is certain, you have to do it right. Last thing you need is a surprise deploying airbag. Serious stuff.

Members online

No members online now.
Back