Why ????

Markviiiedrea

Speed Bump
Reaction score
Why won't my car go any faster, I went to the track last night for the first time since April, and the last time I went I did a 15.4 on a bad tranny, and all bad bushings. Last night I went with whole new suspension shocks, sway bar ball joints and a new tranny with a high stall (2800) and I only ran 15.2 for my best run. The other 2 where 15.4. My 60s got a tenth more. So what was I doing wrong?

1st run manual shift at 6000, tc and od off. 64 degrees temp
Launch at 600 rpm. Full throttle right away
60 2.438
330 6.623
1/8 10.071
mph 71.54
1000 13.006
1/4 14.454
mph 92.44

2nd run manual shift at 6000, tc and od off. 55 degrees temp
Launch at 600 rpm full throttle right away
60 2.410
330 6.579
1/8 10.024
mph 71.62
1000 12.956
1/4 15.403
mph 92.44

3rd run automatic shifting, tc and od on till 60 ft than off. 50 degrees temp. Launch from 1000 rpm, took 1.5 sec to roll in to full throttle
60 2.373
330 6.538
1/8 9.940
mph 72.44
1000 12.842
1/4 15.274
Mph 92.75

Spun off the line every time with 245-50-16 futra
i also weighed the car today, with me in it , it was 4140 lbs.
:Bang :Bang :Bang

You need to torque brake it to get your launch at a higher RPM. Thats what the high-stall converter is for... didnt you know this when you got it?

Pull up to the line, keep left foot on brake, use right foot on gas and bring the rpm's up.

Your MPH seems a little slow also, what kind of condition is your car in? When is the last time you got new plugs/wires and fuel filter?

Dern Humpus said:
You need to torque brake it to get your launch at a higher RPM. Thats what the high-stall converter is for... didnt you know this when you got it?

Pull up to the line, keep left foot on brake, use right foot on gas and bring the rpm's up.

NO, do NOT brake torque these cars. With a stall converter just launch at 1000 rpms. Belive me on this one.
Also your having traction problems, get some dr's. Also what is the mileage? Hows the fuel pump and filter? Your MPH is WAY down.

welli have bosch plat 4 plugs and ford raceing 9 mm wire replaced about 4000 mi ago. the mileage is unknown the od says 99,200 . there is prob more. fuel pump and filter have never benn changed that i know of. i have had the car for 45000 mi. as far a DRs i dont have the money and i want to race on street tires couse i wat to be as fast on the track as i am on the road. im going back to the track next wed to try again

Things you can do/check are : lower the tire pressure, take out the spare/junk in trunk, make sure your air filter is fairly new, throw a bag of ice on the intake before the run. Let the car cool down good, and maybe give the tires a burn real quick before the launch.

I ran a 14.8 with old plugs/wires/worn street tires/almost full tank of gas...

Only thing added was full exhaust. Also it was 97 degrees out, High Humidity.. I believe I could have got a nice mid 14 second pass with a minor engine tune up.

Since, I have changed wires to MSD, changed plugs and gapped at 0.48 or so, new fuel filter, new 255 hp fuel pump going in soon w/LMS AFPR, some nice new G-force KDW tires, conical K&N, Baumann shift kit... I'm defiently looking for a better time than 14.7 on the next runs... Or i'll just dump the car. The car also has a fairly new tranny installed. Shifts like a bat outa hell.

Good luck on the next runs, just make sure you got enough gas for racing, I was stupid and had more than 3/4's of gas left. You should definently be in the mid to high 14's for sure. Also wax the Mark before you go, that smooooth body will increase the aerodynamics and allow you to have a faster MPH. LOL :joke

Here is my first run from last year. It looks very similar to yours.

60 2.362
330 6.598
1/8 10.004
mph 73.37
1000 12.868
1/4 15.245
Mph 94.08

By the end of the summer I was cutting 2.1 60' with 14.8 1/4 mile times. I have very crappy Falken tires on the rear. I think you just need to get to the track more often. Work on your launches.

Markviiiedrea said:
welli have bosch plat 4 plugs and ford raceing 9 mm wire replaced about 4000 mi ago. the mileage is unknown the od says 99,200 . there is prob more. fuel pump and filter have never benn changed that i know of. i have had the car for 45000 mi. as far a DRs i dont have the money and i want to race on street tires couse i wat to be as fast on the track as i am on the road. im going back to the track next wed to try again

Throw them plats out and get some good coppers(Autolite 764). Gap the plugs at 0.048" and file the ground electrode back to midway of the center electrode. Round the corners off and recheck the gap.

Change the fuel filter!

You should at least have your fuel pressure checked. Simply get a gauge rigged up and see what the PSI does at WOT.

Clean your induction! Get some SeaFoam and follow the instructions.

All of the above is cheap enough unless you need to get a fuel pump.

Your sixty foot times are killing your ETs. Although I wouldn't consider 2800 high stall, I'm not gonna criticize it, it may be better than stock, certainly no worse. But the suspicious part is if you're spinning at the launch causing poor sixty foot times, shouldn't your MPH should be higher?

Your suspension work, did it happen to include new differential bushings?

The best help I got on my sixty foot times after the chip, exhaust and gears was the shift kit and drag radials.

I get much more consistent launches with the DRs AND I run them on the street with no problem. But it would take me ten years to put 45000 miles on my Mark VIII. :D

The shift kit definitely helped. I used to see the opposition slightly gain on me when I shifted... not any more. :D

Your mileage may vary. :steering

well the car was at rest for an hour before each run so it was plenty cool,

the tire pressure was 26 for the first run 20 for the other 2, dint help.

plugs i know alot of people have said there not that good of plugs but i have no trouble with them.

fuel filter i can see, it dose need to be changed. what should the fuel press be?

seam foam, will do!

2800 stall is in and wont come out , deal with it! :)

i did all polly bushings , the diff has one cuz the other one cracked and broke and it was replaced with a stockone. i have to call that guy and see if i can trade him

dont have money for any thing like a chip or DR so have to improve on what i got.

it took me a year to put 45000 mi on it, alot of trips to minnesota.

i have a mild shift kit in now, i am going to put the j-mod in it couse i still have a warenty on the tranny and the j-mod wont be to noticeable

i also i have a brand new fram air filter in there.

FP under a load above 4500 to redline shouldn't be a pound under 40. I can almost guarantee that the pump is dying and should be replaced.

Members online

No members online now.
Back