Why won't body kit parts like side skirts from other vehicles fit? Or will they?

I'm not a big fan of that Jag with the stock look, but those pics you posted change my mind about those cars especially that silver one! Those side skirts look good too & they should fit the LS correct?

Thanks for posting those pics!

Yeah. I posted those pictures to give you some ideas. Since you were outside the box. The Jag S-Type would be the first and most likely best option for side skirst or other ground effect pieces.

The Jag S-Type side skirts should fit a LS. After all, the Jag S-Type and LS are based on the same platform. The front and rear pieces would definitely need work to fit right.

Yeah. I posted those pictures to give you some ideas. Since you were outside the box. The Jag S-Type would be the first and most likely best option for side skirst or other ground effect pieces.

The Jag S-Type side skirts should fit a LS. After all, the Jag S-Type and LS are based on the same platform. The front and rear pieces would definitely need work to fit right.

I've got to figure something out as I badly want to put some side skirts on my LS.

This JT Evo Kit says it fits 00-06 LS's is that the case? Do you think just the side skirts would look good on an 03 LS painted black to match the car?

This JT Evo Kit says it fits 00-06 LS's is that the case? Do you think just the side skirts would look good on an 03 LS painted black to match the car?

No. The side skirts will hang down to much not to have the rest of the kit. It will look unfinished. A member was selling the whole Evo kit in the "for sale" section awhile back. He was asking a good price for it. If you buy it, ship with Greyhound. I was interested in it. But have no need for other kit.

JT Evo 2.jpg

JT Evo 3.jpg

Here's the mods to fit the WW kit on to a Gen 2 without removing the front and rear valences.

Not too difficult.

After fitting it up I painted the parts off the car with single stage 2 part urethane.
Single stage paint is much better for urethane bodyparts like the WW kit as its a lot more flexible than 2 stage paint and won't flake off if scratched or scraped on a curb ramp.

I was going to get the WW kit after seeing it on a black LS here http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=27307 but after reading & seeing what you had to do there's no way. I don't have the skill or know how not to mention patience to do that which sucks because I really like it...

I was going to get the WW kit after seeing it on a black LS here http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=27307 but after reading & seeing what you had to do there's no way. I don't have the skill or know how not to mention patience to do that which sucks because I really like it...

And you never will if you dont try it.

What 04sctls did to modify the kit looks very minimal. He placed it on the car, traced out what needed to be cut, cut out the part, put some fiberglass on, sanded, painted the whole piece and mounted it.

Do more research on how hard it would be to cut and fiberglass a 2 inch hole, doesn't seem very hard to me. I say go for it, its a good looking kit.

And you never will if you dont try it.

What 04sctls did to modify the kit looks very minimal. He placed it on the car, traced out what needed to be cut, cut out the part, put some fiberglass on, sanded, painted the whole piece and mounted it.

Do more research on how hard it would be to cut and fiberglass a 2 inch hole, doesn't seem very hard to me. I say go for it, its a good looking kit.

Sounds good & all, but I don't have the know how or experience doing that stuff & I definitely don't have the money to risk throwing away if I do it wrong & mess the stuff up. It looks great on the car, but again I can't throw away money on a mess up when I have kids to feed.

but again I can't throw away money on a mess up when I have kids to feed.

Maybe you shouldn't buy side skirts then, or any other "wants" for that matter. Perhaps put money into a savings account for an emergency fund.

Maybe you shouldn't buy side skirts then, or any other "wants" for that matter. Perhaps put money into a savings account for an emergency fund.

Uh yeah ok! My kids are fine & I take care of them, but WTF does that have to do with not wanting to throw money away? If I spend a few hundred dollars on something I want it to work. Do you just go buy a new tv or any other want & if it doesn't work you just throw it away & say oh well? I highly doubt it so give me an f'ing break with that BS!!!

Well, using fiberglass is not that hard, check out youtube.

If you mess up a little, well thats what the fiberglass is for, just patch it up.

OR

I'm sure 04SCTLS will gladly modify it to fit for some cash if you send the part his way, problem solved.

Well, using fiberglass is not that hard, check out youtube.

If you mess up a little, well thats what the fiberglass is for, just patch it up.

OR

I'm sure 04SCTLS will gladly modify it to fit for some cash if you send the part his way, problem solved.

I have 50k hrs of handicraft experience since I put my dad's car into a ditch when I was 15 :eek: in 1973.
I became a self taught bodyman as a Yute :cool: doing bodywork with my brother and painting cars in the parents garage for money then my own shop so this is no sweat for me.
Bodywork and single stage acrylic enamel paint jobs paid well compared to a Joe job.
I made up some Kitty Hair by putting chopped fiberglass into Evercoat 2 stage spotpotty.
Straight fiberglass is harder to work with for a small thing like this,
Bondo like spotpotty is more flexible and sands very easy when it's soft, fiberglass needs grinding but theres a small window where you can wet trim it with a boxcutter.
I press mold and vaccuum mold fiberglass now.
Soon we will be making our own SMC molding compound and I am too busy to help out.

DENNISJR60 should find a local bodyshop that would do this and paint it for 500-700.00

Uh yeah ok! My kids are fine & I take care of them, but WTF does that have to do with not wanting to throw money away? If I spend a few hundred dollars on something I want it to work. Do you just go buy a new tv or any other want & if it doesn't work you just throw it away & say oh well? I highly doubt it so give me an f'ing break with that BS!!!

I don't know what does it have it do with it? You're the one who brought feeding your kids into the equation. I wasn't trying to give you a hard time.

Fiberglassing is not that easy actually...it takes a bit of skill to do it properly.

Much harder than just replacing parts on a car.

I have 50k hrs of handicraft experience since I put my dad's car into a ditch when I was 15 :eek: in 1973.
I became a self taught bodyman as a Yute :cool: doing bodywork with my brother and painting cars in the parents garage for money then my own shop so this is no sweat for me.
Bodywork and single stage acrylic enamel paint jobs paid well compared to a Joe job.
I made up some Kitty Hair by putting chopped fiberglass into Evercoat 2 stage spotpotty.
Straight fiberglass is harder to work with for a small thing like this,
Bondo like spotpotty is more flexible and sands very easy when it's soft, fiberglass needs grinding but theres a small window where you can wet trim it with a boxcutter.
I press mold and vaccuum mold fiberglass now.
Soon we will be making our own SMC molding compound and I am too busy to help out.

DENNISJR60 should find a local bodyshop that would do this and paint it for 500-700.00

Cool. Yeah I was just throwing that out there.
Fiberglassing is not that easy actually...it takes a bit of skill to do it properly.

Much harder than just replacing parts on a car.

Maybe its not easy, but its not something he can't learn to do well enough to in a weekend to fix the the little cutting he will do. He's not going to be making his own bumper out of fiberglass.

You can just use straight spot putty and back it up with a high quality duct tape to make this fillet.
Use some boxboard with wax paper taped to the spoiler as a form, apply spot putty and put a precut piece of duct tape and sink it into the wet putty.
Just don't make the casting too thick on the back.
Have the tape go past the fix area onto sanded solvent washed urethane.
Remove waxed boxboard and finish fillet with sandpaper.

The fillet won't crack or fall out unless you knock the spoiler off somehow.
I hit an IBeam on the shop floor someone left too far out into the drive path one dark sat morning and the fillet broke when the spoiler got knocked off.
I need to repaint the spoiler due to some scratches :( from my lift so I'll redo it then.

Finally sorted out the Optispark on my SC 383 97 Camaro M6 Vert so I'll get to this soon.

Somehow this Golen 383 race engine would grind up Optis after a few weeks.
The rotor in the AC Delco opti if pushed like this will shatter and the car will die.
At least the MSD cap and rotor will live long enough misfiring under load to get to the shop and up on the lift.
The cam pin that drives the Opti at the front of the engine had no clearance but didn't really seem too long so I put the Opti in 1 washer thickness out which didn't compromise the oil seal and now it lives!
Getting to the cam retainer bearing to check it requires dropping the pan to button it back up after removing the timing cover.

Yikes!

Golen said the cam would fall out without the retainer bearing.

For some inexplicable reason the cam was slightly pushing on the distributor.

What a headscratching pain that was to figure out and fix after a going through a few optis.
Opti changes are a pain.

Also you could just sand the cut area down to a smooth taper which is ok (see pic)but I did it this way for a nicer tighter fit.

IMG_1375 (Small).JPG

IMG_1376 (Small).JPG

IMG_0328 (Small).JPG

IMG_0330 (Small).JPG

IMG_0331 (Small).JPG

IMG_1354 (Small).JPG

IMG_1355 (Small).JPG

102_1072.JPG

04SCTLS pretty sweet you have a lift in your shop.

Damn, that cap got smoked!

04SCTLS pretty sweet you have a lift in your shop.

Damn, that cap got smoked!

I've had the lift about 4 years now.
They're not that expensive if you have a place to put it.
A 9000 lb lift is 2k.
4 guys could put in 500.00 each
This one's 15000 lb since we have some heavy vehicles.
Put it up myself.
With the skirt kits on my cars I have to drive them up on small ramps I made out of 2 layers of 2x8s to get the arms under.

I don't drive the Camaro much anymore but it was a 350 A4 daily driver for 5 years before the LS.

Instead of moving on when it wore out I redid it body, paint, engine, M6 and interior.

I'm glad I finally fixed my opti problem 2 years later after changing it out 3 times myself and 2 other times by my funny car mechanic buddy who replaced the broken GM rotor after a month which then only lasted 15 miles before the car died on the highway.
Then there was a Dynaspark Opti that threw a code immediately saying voltage was wrong that didn't get a chance to get ground up before the AC Delco,
It took a while to see the problem clearly.

Now I can dance especially with the M6!

With the skirt kits on my cars I have to drive them up on small ramps I made out of 2 layers of 2x8s to get the arms under.

Yup, I work on an 18K Rotary all day, guys were laughing at me when I was making little ramp platforms s out of wood to drive onto, till they saw what was driving on them.

Rotary is more expensive but it is the best lift with the ends you can set lifting with your foot instead of having to get down and turn them by hand.

My mechanic buddy swears by them at his shop.

For us we don't use the lift daily so the bolt type ends are good enough.

LOL any lift is better than none....Call me crazy but i like the look of just painting the stock valances... Nice and clean... Some of the kits out there for cars are god awful.. If i see another unpainted, zip tied mustang body kit i'm gonna lose it

Rotary is more expensive but it is the best lift with the ends you can set lifting with your foot instead of having to get down and turn them by hand.

My mechanic buddy swears by them at his shop.

For us we don't use the lift daily so the bolt type ends are good enough.

Yeah, the piece that contacts the vehicle threads out of the base so its nice.
Yeah, unless you use it everyday, there's alot cheaper lifts that are just as good.

Call me crazy but i like the look of just painting the stock valances... Nice and clean... Some of the kits out there for cars are god awful.. If i see another unpainted, zip tied mustang body kit i'm gonna lose it

I think that's what I'm going to do for now although I do want to do something different to the front bumper to give it a lower more aggressive look. I like how the Mach 1 chin spoiler looks I just don't like how it sinks inward on the ends by the fender.

Members online

No members online now.
Back