why install a cobra engine??

Daviddc114

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I am kinda confused on this, why do people think its better to install a cobra engine in a mark when the only difference is the crank? A good cobra engine can be several thousand dollars, why not just rebuild your mark engine and include a forged crank in your build? Am i wrong that they are the same engine? I'm not tyring to act like i think i know more, i am simply trying to understand better, and if I'm wrong i want to know.. Also will any cobra parts fit on a mark engine? As far as pulleys, intake, stuff like that..
The reason i am asking, is i have a 97 lsc, its not a driver, more a show car i am keeping, i want to do the engine up, and i would rather build that original engine to keep it a numbers matching car, but if its better to put a cobra engine in, I'd like advice.. Also, when installing a cobra engine in a mark, is it simply bolt in? All wiring and computers are compatible? Thanks for the help...

I am kinda confused on this, why do people think its better to install a cobra engine in a mark when the only difference is the crank? A good cobra engine can be several thousand dollars, why not just rebuild your mark engine and include a forged crank in your build? Am i wrong that they are the same engine? I'm not tyring to act like i think i know more, i am simply trying to understand better, and if I'm wrong i want to know.. Also will any cobra parts fit on a mark engine? As far as pulleys, intake, stuff like that..
The reason i am asking, is i have a 97 lsc, its not a driver, more a show car i am keeping, i want to do the engine up, and i would rather build that original engine to keep it a numbers matching car, but if its better to put a cobra engine in, I'd like advice.. Also, when installing a cobra engine in a mark, is it simply bolt in? All wiring and computers are compatible? Thanks for the help...

When you step on a "cobra" engine you are going to have to change rods anyway. You don't hear from me to put cobra engine in. Yes I would like the steel crank but a built mk8 engine will get this crank anyway. You really don't have to care for #'s matching on a mk8 these are not corvettes. LOL I'll add I do have cobra intake about to go on but most of that is a looks thing. Hope 10+ hp though. And better breathing up top.

When you step on a "cobra" engine you are going to have to change rods anyway. You don't hear from me to put cobra engine in. Yes I would like the steel crank but a built mk8 engine will get this crank anyway. You really don't have to care for #'s matching on a mk8 these are not corvettes. LOL

also, the intakes are different as well as the camshafts. ive been looking all around again today, as ive gone through another head gasket!

So are they the same engines? what is the difference between installing a cobra engine vs just building the mark engine? Which its better and why?

when i tell people it has similiar engine to a cobra they get all deffensive saying no its nothing like a cobra engine i just reply with " still looks better and faster than yours lol''

not much of a difference in a 96-98 as the 290hp vs 305hp ratings then. the cam specs for 4.6l 4v motor(crate) which is the cobra motor have same cam profile as 1999-05 cobras. 99-01 n/a, 03 and up sc. but the 320 hp rating is n/a. BUT all things aside, they are basically the same. the cobra intakes dont really provide much of a gain unless tour going with power adder of some kind.

So will all accessories for a cobra fit on the mark engine so long as the year is the same? For instance i want to order a polished pulley set, there's none for marks, but if i order a set for a cobra from summit, they should fit correct? and the same for all accessories and parts alike, correct?

So will all accessories for a cobra fit on the mark engine so long as the year is the same? For instance i want to order a polished pulley set, there's none for marks, but if i order a set for a cobra from summit, they should fit correct? and the same for all accessories and parts alike, correct?

yes they will fit, I bought a three piece under-drive pulley kit for a 96-98 Cobra. I have a Gen II which has the emissions stuff right in front, so you cant use the piggy back pulleys.

Egr delete? What does this effect? How do you do this without tripping the Check engine light?

You would need to have the tune delete the EGR function so it would not pop a code. You can just buy a March under drive 1158. Search my thread or DLF I think he has thread on it too. I don't like the piggyback style U/D's.

not much of a difference in a 96-98 as the 290hp vs 305hp ratings then. the cam specs for 4.6l 4v motor(crate) which is the cobra motor have same cam profile as 1999-05 cobras. 99-01 n/a, 03 and up sc. but the 320 hp rating is n/a. BUT all things aside, they are basically the same. the cobra intakes dont really provide much of a gain unless tour going with power adder of some kind.

96-98 cobra have 206* duration intake
99 and 01's have 194* duration intake
03/04 cobra, mach1 and maurader 184* duration intake which is supposed to be the navagator cams. All the exhaust specs are almost the same.

Cobra's have beehive valve springs for higher rpm capabilities.

99 cobra owners are installing 06-98 cans and getting a 15hp increase.

The cast crank in the mark is lighter which will allow the car to rev faster, really don't need the forged crank unless you are over 450-500hp.

Smog pump sits directly in front of the crank pulley.. Gotta do a EGR delete and trash all that

Egr delete? What does this effect? How do you do this without tripping the Check engine light?

You would need to have the tune delete the EGR function so it would not pop a code. You can just buy a March under drive 1158. Search my thread or DLF I think he has thread on it too. I don't like the piggyback style U/D's.

The "smog pump" in front of the Gen 2 crank pulley has absolutely nothing to do with the EGR system, the two are totally unrelated.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=77570

I am also putting together a vision for after next year. The idea I have is retaining the Teksid block and putting Cobra cams and heads onto the Teksid block. I would then retain my Cobra intake and put in a forged rotating assembly. (rods, pistons,crank) I want to go with a centrifugal blower setup.

If you have exhaust and other bolt-ons I would highly suggest the Cobra intake. My car was a night and day difference from last year with all of my bolt-ons virtually staying the same. I simply shifted at a higher rpm with the Cobra intake and went from a best of 14.1 last year to a 13.59 this year. I still have issues with my tune and need a dyno yet. No one could convince me to ever go back to a stock Gen2 intake because with my bolt-ons and a stock intake, my car would never have a chance at seeing low 13s. If you have ever taken apart a stock Gen2 intake, you'll see exactly what I mean. That intake was like throwing a lasso around my car when it was going down the track.

I am also putting together a vision for after next year. The idea I have is retaining the Teksid block and putting Cobra cams and heads onto the Teksid block. I would then retain my Cobra intake and put in a forged rotating assembly. (rods, pistons,crank) I want to go with a centrifugal blower setup.

I'm fairly certain that the Mark VIII and '96-'98 Cobra "B" heads are the same casting. The intake cams are worth swapping, along with some better (aftermarket) valve springs, but everything else is the same.

I'm fairly certain that the Mark VIII and '96-'98 Cobra "B" heads are the same casting. The intake cams are worth swapping, along with some better (aftermarket) valve springs, but everything else is the same.

Interesting. Thanks for the info Doug. I'll have to check into that. If that so be the case, it might even be more beneficial to go a little more aggressive with the cams then. (Thinking "lumpier" cams than the Cobra cams). Perhaps some Crower blower cams or something similar....

Interesting. Thanks for the info Doug. I'll have to check into that. If that so be the case, it might even be more beneficial to go a little more aggressive with the cams then. (Thinking "lumpier" cams than the Cobra cams). Perhaps some Crower blower cams or something similar....

All it takes is whipping out the check book. Cams are killer high price wise for 4V mod engines.

Members online

No members online now.
Back