Whiteout.... Stuck

RollinLS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Whiteout conditions in Illinios. Stuck in Bloomington Il. Could only do about 25/30mph max. Visiblity is down to 30 feet at times No point in killing myself. Shutting down tonight. Finish drive home tomorrow. If your in the Midwest, stay Home and safe.

That's the same storm that's had me stuck in Omaha all day. Flight cancelled, I-80 closed between Lincoln and Colorado, no flights home until Sunday....but somehow I was able to buy a ticket on a United flight at 4:45 - which is now scheduled to depart at 8:20. I have a bad feeling it will be cancelled.

Take it easy out there, man. Be safe.

Wind gust hitting 35/40mph too. I am empty. So I was getting blown all over the road.

We had a little bit of freezing rain and now some snow, piece of cake.

Snow hasn't hit here yet, but the wind is brutal! I have a 6 pack of dark brown ale and 8 hours of Top Gear recorded. I plan to wait it all out.
Rollin, Better safe than sorry, You choose wisely my friend

Kansas got it pretty good last night. Left the Ls in the garage and drove the expedition today!:D

Ne Iowa here....I've been home with the kids and wife and watching the drifts get bigger and bigger. Her Stratus is in a snow drift....the Expy and F150 are shielding the LS.

I've had to go out 2 times just to shovel the snow out of the doors so we don't get trapped in.

I will have to post some pics of the 5 foot snow drift in morning.

Still have our power though.....didn't need to fire the generator.

Stay safe out there.

Yeah, we've had the wind all day here in Indy, there was a point where the sun came out and after that its been freezing rain up until about 2 hours ago when it started snowing... thing is when anything wet hits the pavement here people tend to lose the ability to drive like a sane person.

Caught a movie. Seen Skyfall. Figured I would give the interstate a look. Blowing snow has made it to risky. Parked the truck and ate. Definitely parked for the night. Everyone have A good evening. Going to watch Warrior in my truck.

Last edited:
Rollin, stay safe buddy, dig out in the morning and see how she goes.

Rollin: Box truck not good in this weather. Got stuck in ice/snow last year in Malone, NY with 40 ton of logs on, had to use 2 skidders to get out! Western Star had the power, no traction with 4 sets of chains on! Stay safe! Warm rain here in Chesapeake, VA.

Another trucker!

BTW: how you get 40 ton on and not be over-weight ?
was that combined with the tractor ? had to be.
40 Metric Ton is 88K+ Pounds, no ?

EDIT:

ah, Short Tons (US) 1 = 2000lb therefor 40 = 80000lb
max weight, had to be combined with tractor, either that or with a permit.

I hate this. Sitting here. Knowing I am less then 3 hours from. Nothing I can do about it. Wind is blowing like crazy still. Hope it's good tomorrow.

I'm ~45 minutes from where you are and you definitely made a good decision to park it. We had a few trucks end up in the ditch going through there.

It's morning. Wind died down. Suns out. Going home. Normally, it would take me just under 3 hours to get home from here. See how long it takes today.

Should have headed to Pub II...... There is usually some good scenery there :)

Just got home from work. What usually takes me less than 10 minutes to get home took an hour. The roads are terrible out right now around here (western pa). Had to stop in the bottom of a dip and almost got the car stuck. Many people were stuck and there was a three car accident. Everyone be careful out there.

I found this out this evening. Just a few miles south. Illinios State troopers closed the interstate in both directions. It got real bad just south of where I was. This morning I counted over 50 cars and 12 semis in the ditch in just over a 60 mile stretch.

Yeah, you did good by getting off the roads Rollin, there are times when it's just not worth it.
Glad to hear you made it home safe and sound, put your feet up and enjoy your Holidays alongside the Family.

Members online

No members online now.
Back