Which size thermostat for 04 V8?

MaddShadez

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My Thermostat is stuck in the open position, so time for a replacement. Rockauto lists 2 sizes, 54m and 37mm. I tried searching but no previous thread i found was specific. Which size do I need? I've heard its also a good time to replace the housing and the seal, correct? Can someone be kind enough to list those part numbers I pick the correct ones? Thanks in Advance!

Your thermostat is probably not stuck open. Instead, probably the plastic housing that it is in has broken internally, allowing coolant to go around the thermostat. In any event, you want to at least replace the thermostat, then coolant outlet pipe, and the thermostat housing. It would be wise to also replace the engine fill cap and the pipe from the water pump to the coolant outlet pipe. I can get you full part numbers tonight, but here are the partials now.

Cap Assy - Radiator 3W4Z-8A511-AB
Connection - Water Outlet 3W4Z-8592-AA
Thermostat Assy 2W9Z-8575-AB
Seal 2W9Z-8590-AB
Tube - Water Inlet 3W4Z-8548-AD
Gasket 96JV-8255-CB (need two of these)

Gasket XW4Z-8255-CA
Ring - Rubber -W707299-S300
Tube Assy 2W93-9N499-AC

Personally, while I had the manifold off to replace the 9N499, I'd replace the throttle body heater hose that connects under there.
Hose Assy 3W4Z-9F814-AA

You may also want to order a couple of intake manifold gaskets.
2W9Z-9439-AA

I'm not sure about the size thing. What part of it are they measuring? All gen II V8s use the same size. I think that 54mm would be closest (of the two choices) to correct. Edit: Looking at Rockauto, the RT1163 (37mm) is the correct one.

Instructions on how to put the thermostat together:
http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x33007.htm~gen~ref.htm

Edit: Now with full part numbers

I got my housing and thermostat from rockauto.

MOTORCRAFT Part # RT1163 37mm

Staff online

Members online

Back