Which Replacement Tires Did You Buy?

Ric

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
The OEM Michelins on my '03 V8 need to be replaced...soon. The Michelins are pretty pricey. What have some of you guys and gals put on your cars? Opinions? Prices? Any advice is welcome.

I replaced the OEM MXM4s on my '04 with Avon Tech M550 "tyres." I think they were definitely an upgrade, and with equivalent miles on them, they were still far superior to the Michelins. Wet or dry, their grip was far better than the Michelins.

Their ratings at the Tire Rack fallen just a tiny bit ( http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ed_rating=WR&speed_rating=YR&minSpeedRating=V ) since I bought mine, from the 9s to the 8s, but they're still highly rated.

When it comes time to replace the tires on my '06, I'll definitely be looking hard at the Avons again, but I've heard about others (like General anf Kumho) that are interesting. I don't have any experience with them, though, so I'll let others comment on them.

if you want cheap/good Falken Zeix, not nearly has nice and quiet and well manared as the michilines but at 105.00 each from vulcan tire.com im not complaining.

Jay

General Exclaim UHP. I like them much better than the stock Michelins.

LincolnTech38 said:
if you want cheap/good Falken Zeix, not nearly has nice and quiet and well manared as the michilines but at 105.00 each from vulcan tire.com im not complaining.

Jay

Thanks for the tip on Vulcan Tires. The Falken's were on special and I got a set for $88 each. I shopped the other online retailers and they were the cheapest by far. Since I only have a year left on my lease, I didn't want to invest a lot on the new rubber.

on my fourth set of tires - my current Goodyear F1 GS-D3 are the best I've had. They also won the most recent Car & Driver testing.

LS4me said:
General Exclaim UHP. I like them much better than the stock Michelins.
Mike,

How many miles you have on them now and are they getting noisy? I need tires and don't want to spend $1000 for another set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's.

I have these on my car, I agree 1000%

Quik LS said:
on my fourth set of tires - my current Goodyear F1 GS-D3 are the best I've had. They also won the most recent Car & Driver testing.

GrayGhost1 said:
Mike,

How many miles you have on them now and are they getting noisy? I need tires and don't want to spend $1000 for another set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's.

Ken,

They are still quieter than the Michelins on my wife's 06! She has ~8500 miles on the Michelins and I have ~15K miles on the Generals. So far they are as quiet as new. I couldn't recommend them enough, especially at their price point!

I suggest if you are looking for that agressive look mount 255-45-17 tires

LS4me said:
Ken,

They are still quieter than the Michelins on my wife's 06! She has ~8500 miles on the Michelins and I have ~15K miles on the Generals. So far they are as quiet as new. I couldn't recommend them enough, especially at their price point!
That's what I was hoping to hear. I may spring for those since I'm needing a set pretty bad. Sounds like a 4x4 in my car since the tires are cupped so bad.

aserrano said:
I suggest if you are looking for that agressive look mount 255-45-17 tires

WONT THE 255-45-17 BE TOO WIDE FOR THE STOCK RIM?

So my stock '05 V8 came with Michilin Pilots that are over $200 each. Thats crazy. I think the General's sound like a great deal, seem to have good reviews too.

Weird; when I bought my Avons in August of 2005, the MXM4s were around $190 per tire at the Tire Rack.

I'm curious to see how those Rikens Mike Holhut got hold up. Evidently they are made by Michelin so that can't be a bad thing.

Yeah, I was just going to chime in. Had Kuhmo ECSTA 712's 255/45/17's and replaced them with Riken Raptors 245/45/17's because they don't make the 255 size tire.

Balanced out well with only weights on the inside - bonus
Roll real smooth with no vibrations, etc. - bonus
Much more quiet than the Kumho's - bonus
Not sure about traction because I haven't broken them loose... yet ;) I hope to get at least one Solo II in this Summer so I can have some feedback about their grippiness, sidewall stifness, etc.

mholhut said:
Yeah, I was just going to chime in. Had Kuhmo ECSTA 712's 255/45/17's and replaced them with Riken Raptors 245/45/17's because they don't make the 255 size tire.

Balanced out well with only weights on the inside - bonus
Roll real smooth with no vibrations, etc. - bonus
Much more quiet than the Kumho's - bonus
Not sure about traction because I haven't broken them loose... yet ;) I hope to get at least one Solo II in this Summer so I can have some feedback about their grippiness, sidewall stifness, etc.
How many miles you got on the Riken's now?

Ric said:
Thanks for the tip on Vulcan Tires. The Falken's were on special and I got a set for $88 each. I shopped the other online retailers and they were the cheapest by far. Since I only have a year left on my lease, I didn't want to invest a lot on the new rubber.

Another vote for these, I ordered online and had them mounted for $50. Tires seem to be wearing fine and aren't as noisy as some have claimed. Plus, living in KC, they are better in the snow than the Mich.'s.

Members online

No members online now.
Back